07/30/2023 1:40pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Miami Marlins

casimir

Just now, AZTigersfan said:

If we posted the chase rate in the Tiger’s clubhouse that CMO was talking about, it would show something pretty alarming 

Guess we'll see how true to his word Harris is going forward.  When hired he said priority #1 was offensively comanding the strike zone as a team...probably gonna need to do something about literally one of the worst, if not theee worst, "commanding the strike zone" hitters in MLB in Harvy if that's the case...

Offense put up 6 runs, so is what it is.  I'm slightly concerned over Skubal seeming to fall apart at the sign of some adversity/giving up runs...and he also seems to lack focus on being a complete pitcher defensively.  That 5th inning was real bad for him, and it wasnt just the pitching.

Edited by Dtrain72
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Adullin said:

Bad luck at the plate 2x both balls deflected right to the defender. The bull**** interference call when the runner ran into Baez. Just enough to lose again. 

Really would have liked to see AJ get in an umps face on that bad call.  I get that it wouldnt have changed anything, but show some passion, show that you'll fight for when your guys get jobbed.  This team could use some emotion, some fire, when it's actually called for imo.

Edited by Dtrain72
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dtrain72 said:

Offense put up 6 runs, so is what it is.  I'm slightly concerned over Skubal seeming to fall apart at the sign of some adversity/giving up runs...and he also seems to lack focus on being a complete pitcher defensively.  That 5th inning was real bad for him, and it wasnt just the pitching.

He doesn’t seem to have the same bulldog attitude he had before the surgery…. I thought it was going to over as soon as he gets up by 4 runs

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

He wont be ready until at least 2025, along with Keith...but probably not until 2026-2027.  Really gotta be careful and slow play these young fellas, dont want to break them like fragile baby bird eggs.

Or count on them to carry the team and when they fail, all the fans can just blame them. Better not make any trades or sign any free agents to make space for these unproven players. Never forget Scott Sizemore...😅😅

7 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Marlins aren't very good.  Why would they trade for David Robertson?

EDIT - because they hold the last wild card.  So go for it I guess.

yeah, they have given up more runs than they have scored, but they kind of have to go for it.  

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

Or count on them to carry the team and when they fail, all the fans can just blame them. Better not make any trades or sign any free agents to make space for these unproven players. Never forget Scott Sizemore...😅😅

Meh, I guess I'm just old school and pine for the good old days when the Tigers actually developed position players and weren't afraid to bring them up...hell, that philosophy won them their last world series.  If the player flail and fail, then so be it, but I dont need to see the Matons and Haases and Shorts and McKinstry's, etc, much more...it's not like the team is having rousing offensive success as currently constructed.

1 minute ago, Dtrain72 said:

Meh, I guess I'm just old school and pine for the good old days when the Tigers actually developed position players and weren't afraid to bring them up...hell, that philosophy won them their last world series.  If the player flail and fail, then so be it, but I dont need to see the Matons and Haases and Shorts and McKinstry's, etc, much more...it's not like the team is having rousing offensive success as currently constructed.

I agree we need more talent but I question if these AAA players are the answer. We need to replace several players on the 26 man roster. Yes, you named a few but there are several more who won't be around next season. Cisnero? Trade or release him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

looking back at the failed run down I'm not sure why Short threw the ball, He was closing on Berti and almost certainly  could have just made the tag. It was being so close that left him in a position for Berti to take advanatage.

This series was full of defensive faux pas.  I can handle them losing when being outplayed.  But when they add to it themselves, it’s disappointing.  Today’s game was certainly winnable with clean defense.

Going forward, can they hide the defense of both Carpenter and Malloy daily?  Can they hide it in maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the games?  I don’t expect Malloy will be an everyday player and it remains to be seen if Carpenter will get starts vs LHPs.  So maybe around 60-70 games they need to send one of the two out to the field and hope for the best?