08/19/2022 7:10 EDT Detroit Tigers at Cleveland Guardians

casimir

Who is Carson Kelly? Sounds like he should have been the QB for Navy in '58

Edit: Couldn't hit in some call ups with the Cards, had a couple of over 100 OPS+ seasons with the D Backs. Bat slowed down last couple of years - also with some unlucky injuries - wrist fracture in '21, then an arm fracture this season. Lost his gig with the D_Backs who DFA'd him. He had enough service time to refuse and Tigers made the move.

Still under 30.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/08/d-backs-release-carson-kelly.html

Edited by gehringer_2

We were wondering which catcher the Tigers were going to get in the off-season.  They got him already!  I was thinking the other day that the Tigers might get him when Arizone DFA him, but I lost interest when I saw his recent numbers.  Kelly was good in '19 and '21, but has not done anything since then.  He is younger that Haase and probably has a better chance of lucking into a decent offensive season next year.  

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

We were wondering which catcher the Tigers were going to get in the off-season.  They got him already!  I was thinking the other day that the Tigers might get him when Arizone DFA him, but I lost interest when I saw his recent numbers.  Kelly was good in '19 and '21, but has not done anything since then.  He is younger that Haase and probably has a better chance of lucking into a decent offensive season next year.  

Most hopeful reading would be the broken wrist messed up his hitting and that it might have healed better by now. OTOH it may have left a permanent deficit....

Tigs have him for the minimum for now, but his arb number could be high to keep him next season if he doesn't show much before this season ends.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Last month he has a 791 OPS, granted in only 34 PA. 

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Most hopeful reading would be the broken wrist messed up his hitting and that it might have healed better by now. OTOH it may have left a permanent deficit....

Tigs have him for the minimum for now, but his arb number could be high to keep him next season if he doesn't show much before this season ends.

yeah, the injuries explain his poor numbers the last couple of seasons.  So, there is some hope for him.  

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

They get him for the minimum the rest of this year, but would have to go through arbitration next year for a price tag of about 4-5 mil (because you can't decrease salaries too far in arb). I'd bet he's non-tendered.

Just now, Edman85 said:

They get him for the minimum the rest of this year, but would have to go through arbitration next year for a price tag of about 4-5 mil (because you can't decrease salaries too far in arb). I'd bet he's non-tendered.

He'd probably be worth that if he got back to his '19 and '21 performance, but there probably isn't enough time left this season to find out.   

3 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Not like the Tigers haven't made stupid moves going too cheap on the catcher position before ( Alex Avila says "Hi" )

8 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He'd probably be worth that if he got back to his '19 and '21 performance, but there probably isn't enough time left this season to find out.   

Still might be  a good investment since Dingler and Crouch don't look like any kind of sure thing and the FA for catchers is usually poor.

Edited by gehringer_2