Week One: Detroit Lions (0-0) @ Kansas City Chiefs (0-0)

51 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

https://x.com/mysportsupdate/status/1699446785838563543?s=46&t=BcV3TT45OxO8R12LOdytaw

why aren’t tweets automatically embedding anymore? And how do I fix it?

It’s Elon’s fault. When he went from Twitter to X a lot of software wasn’t prepared for it. It’ll take an update to this platform that probably isn’t even developed yet for them to embed. There’s a workaround that someone here mentioned but it’s a little complicated and multi-step.

42 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

What are all of you looking forward to the most?

Four things I'm going to be paying attention to:
1. Goff - Was 2023 Goff the real Goff or was 2022 the real Goff?
2. Running Game - J.Williams was great last year. Was that because of him or the OL/scheme?
3. Secondary - With a lot of new faces back there, will they perform well?
4. DL - Can they cause pressure without over pursuing against a very elusive QB?

For me it’s all about the trenches. How does the healthy, full strength, Lions offensive line look against a Chiefs defensive line that is young and with question marks inside? How do Hutch, Harris, and Houston look against two new tackles for the Chiefs? Can Alim maintain the improvement seen at the end of last year, and who starts next to him?

Second I want to see the rookies in their debuts. How does Gibbs look in space? Campbell’s job gets a lot easier if Kelce is out or limited, but how difficult is the transition to the NFL going to be for him? The KC receivers don’t scare me, but Mahomes can drop a ball into the tiniest of holes. How will Branch match that?

its been since the early to mid 90s that i was excited about the lions.  barry, herman moore, brett perriman.  by the mid 90s scott mitchell was supposed to be the final piece to that offense. 

1991 they opened against washington (one of the best teams in nfl history) and got smacked 45-0.  they went on to win the division and their only playoff game in the modern era (and then get smacked again by washington 41-10).  so even if they get blown out its not the end of the world or the season.

the other time was 1995 when they started off 0-3 and 2-5 but bounced back to make a wild card.  that offense was humming down the stretch and all they had to do was go to philly and beat a .500 eagles squad with rodney flipping peete as qb...

they were down 38-7 at halftime.  fontes got an extension after the game.

so im still a little gun shy about getting excited about detroit.  once bitten, twice shy....bitten thirty five times and you might be really reticent to commit.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

John Hussey’s officiating crew will have this game. He’s one of the better officials out there.

Were there any new rules or rule changes adopted this offseason that can be used and enforced for the first time ever against the Lions? A 10 second runoff after a TD was reviewed and overturned? A process of the catch? A batted ball out of the back of the end zone?

7 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Moseley out. dang... Looks like everyone else green lighted.

Given Moseley’s lack of any meaningful preseason action, I would probably prefer Jacobs anyway, at least to give Moseley another 10 days to get his legs under him. Jacobs played well enough down the stretch last year. Certainly not shut down, but he held his own.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Given Moseley’s lack of any meaningful preseason action, I would probably prefer Jacobs anyway, at least to give Moseley another 10 days to get his legs under him. Jacobs played well enough down the stretch last year. Certainly not shut down, but he held his own.

Exactly, we got depth and that is a new concept.

4 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

First game of the season, this soon after the injury with a mini-bye, I’d sit him. Why risk it. I’m definitely not biased on this either. 

I do think there is some value to this. I’d rather my elite receiving option miss one game, use ten days to rest, and be 80% at the next game than have him be at 30% for 4-6 games as he slowly nurses it and re-injures it on a weekly basis.