Week One: Detroit Lions (0-0) @ Kansas City Chiefs (0-0)

15 minutes ago, sagnam said:

I don’t think voluntary workouts are going to put anyone any more ahead than others who workout on their own.  Except in a coach’s mind.

Agreed. But I’m sure Buggs’ mind was elsewhere than workouts while on paternity leave, and understandably so. I doubt he was working out as extensively as those at voluntaries were, if at all.

45 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

As I said earlier in the thread, it would be a big plus for us if Chris Jones is out and an even bigger plus if Kelce is out. That said, I think I want the Chiefs at their best on Thursday because I want to say we beat them at their best. I don't want excuses and asterisks next to the win with people saying "Oh you only beat them because Kelce didn't play or Chris Jones sat out or whatever." I want our boys to beat them at their very best. So I hope Kelce does play. 

But if the Chiefs are without Kelce or Jones we can counter that with the Lions being without Jamo and Buggs... so it's kinda even.

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

As I said earlier in the thread, it would be a big plus for us if Chris Jones is out and an even bigger plus if Kelce is out. That said, I think I want the Chiefs at their best on Thursday because I want to say we beat them at their best. I don't want excuses and asterisks next to the win with people saying "Oh you only beat them because Kelce didn't play or Chris Jones sat out or whatever." I want our boys to beat them at their very best. So I hope Kelce does play. 

I never understood this mentality from fans. I couldn't care less if they beat them with or without Jones and Kelce as long as they get the W. People could put all the asterisks they want on it, doesn't mean jack to me, just be 1-0 after Week 1.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I never understood this mentality from fans. I couldn't care less if they beat them with or without Jones and Kelce as long as they get the W. People could put all the asterisks they want on it, doesn't mean jack to me, just be 1-0 after Week 1.

Yep. Don’t care one bit. 

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

Same. No one would put any asterisk next to some other team beating the Lions without, say, ASB and Hutch, and any Lions fan trying to do so would be shouted down for "making excuses for failure. NEXT MAN UP!" This is a two way street. I not only hope Kelce and Jones are out, I hope Mahomes can't go, either. Just win, Baby.

12 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

How did we go from an inevitable decision not to suit up a player from the team’s deepest unit to speculation about a pre-game trade for Chris Jones? Mind boggling. 

Anyway, things are shaping up nicely for the Lions to steal a game early. 

In fairness, the cryptic tweets and childish removal of all things Lions by Buggs on his Twitter didn’t exactly scream “I’m the 49th best player on my team and I’m going to work hard to get better!”

9 hours ago, holygoat said:

Same. No one would put any asterisk next to some other team beating the Lions without, say, ASB and Hutch, and any Lions fan trying to do so would be shouted down for "making excuses for failure. NEXT MAN UP!" This is a two way street. I not only hope Kelce and Jones are out, I hope Mahomes can't go, either. Just win, Baby.

my entire history as a lions fan tells me that if the chiefs were without all those guys, the lions would find a way to lose.  especially if the playoffs were on the line.  lol.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, holygoat said:

Mahomes needs to be told that he's massively underpaid.  He definitely needs a bigger contract. He should hold out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

In fairness, the cryptic tweets and childish removal of all things Lions by Buggs on his Twitter didn’t exactly scream “I’m the 49th best player on my team and I’m going to work hard to get better!”

I think this is what had people speculating so much... and everyone who did also acknowledged that it was massive speculation. The scrubbing of the Lions from social media sure made people think he wasn't going to be on the team.

So if he wasn't going to be on the team, why was he still on the team? The logical conclusion was that a trade was in the works. But if so, why was it taking so long when the player had been informed? The logical conclusion was that it was with the Chiefs. The Chiefs had a player who was holding out... the Lions had a need at that position... the Lions could be sending back a (lesser) player of the same position as the Chiefs would want some depth there... and the trade won't happen until after the game. It all fit. It all made sense.

It was all wrong, but it made more sense than that a player that seemingly wanted to be in Detroit was throwing a tantrum because he was being pushed down the depth chart.

Definitely could care less how they win.  Its a long season and any W, especially against the Super Bowl Champs, is huge.  Every game matters in the NFL.  Look at last year with all those close game L's in the beginning of the season resulting in us missing the playoffs by 1 game.

Injuries are part of the game and a reason why its so hard to win it all in the NFL.  Its still crazy to me that KC won it all last year with the injury to Mahomes.  That makes me think he will have a ridiculous game tomorrow because this kid steps up when you think there is no way. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Definitely could care less how they win.  Its a long season and any W, especially against the Super Bowl Champs, is huge.  Every game matters in the NFL.  Look at last year with all those close game L's in the beginning of the season resulting in us missing the playoffs by 1 game.

Injuries are part of the game and a reason why its so hard to win it all in the NFL....

Big time agree here.  If we are in position for playoffs, and or home field in week 17 absolutely no one will be complaining about a +1 in the W column.

Edited by KnoxP

The reason I view  how they win matters is because winning against a full strength Chiefs team better shows us who they are versus winning against a team without 2 of it's top 4 players. If we want to know just how improved this secondary and LB units what better way to find that out then seeing them out there against Kelce. If we want to think of ourselves as Super Bowl contenders then there is a good chance that in the event we do make it, we're playing the Chiefs a second time this season. That could likely mean playing them with Kelce fully healthy and the Chris Jones situation fully worked out. I'd like to find out now that we can beat the Super Bowl champs when they are at their best, but that's just me.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

40 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The reason I view  how they win matters is because winning against a full strength Chiefs team better shows us who they are versus winning against a team without 2 of it's top 4 players. 

Yeah, I'd agree with this: I'd prefer to win against a full strength KC team vs. win against a weakened KC team. However, I'd prefer to win vs. lose and a weakened KC team makes winning more likely.

There's always going to asterisks for any game. If the Lions lose was it because Jamo wasn't on the field? Or maybe Hutchinson had a bad cold or refs blew a major call? If the Lions win and KC was at full strength was it because Jones wasn't up to speed yet? Or maybe Mahomes stubbed his toe bad in practice or they just looked past the Lions? Or maybe the refs blew a major call and it went in favor of the Lions for a change?

If the Lions beat KC because Jones doesn't play and Kelce is a bit gimpy... I'm still going to celebrate and consider it a great win. If KC wins I doubt any fan will look at it and go: "Well, sure, but the Lions didn't have Jamo and Mosley wasn't at 100%, plus ARSB was a little dinged up still from preseason so it wasn't a real test."

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Kelce is a blow to the Chiefs but history has shown that elite QBs with an offensive mind like Reid can get by without their top pass catchers. Its when they lose their top o lineman when they have problems.

Kelce is a massive loss for those guys. So much of their offense flows through him and he's Mahomes outlet when he's under pressure. Outside of Mahomes, he's their most important player even more important than Chris Jones IMO.

With that said, any team led by Mahomes and Reid is going to be a handful but no Kelce alters the gameplan.

I'm not convinced that convinced that Kelce will be out anyway.

Edited by NYLion

I am not as concerned about how I feel about this team more than a W.  Now if Lions get blown out and its against a team without 2 of there top 3 or 4 players.  I will definitely be concerned.   Them winning tomorrow isn't going to get me thinking superbowl or if they lose close I won't think our season is over.  Beginning of the year is not a clear understanding who is the best team.  If they win, I will just be happy with a W but definitely not over confident.  There is something about a Superbowl hangover as well as missing those players that I understand this won't be the same team later in the season.  Who knows, KC could be bad this year.  Its not unheard of and is actually common from a Superbowl team.  Having Mahomes definitely reduces the chances of that.  So for me, it will be the eye test and getting as many W's early on.

Not sure about all of you but I am more interested in seeing the secondary than anything else.  Definitely excited to see Gibbs/Montgomery and how much better Hutch is.  Although the secondary to me is an area that is totally revamped and was completely terrible last year.  Our rush was good without that terrible secondary.  Secondary doesn't always show up on the box score but will show with how much longer a QB throws away balls or the D-line has more time to get to the QB.  The RB's are exciting and new although they were good last year.

What are all of you looking forward to the most?