Week One: Detroit Lions (0-0) @ Kansas City Chiefs (0-0)

LIONSLOGOGDT.png.7f9d80811c68b58d5c8384ab38e1f9fb.png          vs.          ChiefsGDT.png.be97b27dc6fcf7476ebdb64093bdf87c.png

Setting: 09/07/2023 8:20pm on NBC

Site: GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium

Weather: 90° High, 72° Low, 4% chance of rain, 8mph Wind

Opening Spread: Chiefs -6.5

All-Time Series Record: Chiefs lead, 9-5

Last Meeting: 09/29/2019, Chiefs won 34-30

Kansas City Chiefs (0-0)

Head Coach: Andy Reid (25th Season: 247-138-1)

Projected Starting QB: Patrick Mahomes (7th Season: 64-16)

Last Season/Game: 17-3, 38-35 W v. Philadelphia Eagles (Super Bowl LVII Champions)

Preseason: 2-1 (26-24 L @ New Orleans Saints, 38-10 W @ Arizona Cardinals, 33-32 W v. Cleveland Browns)

Looking Ahead to Week #2: Sunday @ Jacksonville Jaguars (0-0)

Mahomes.png.8aa6ee65992bcc4ad40e80c6542cf5c2.png

Your Detroit Lions (0-0)

Head Coach: Dan Campbell (3rd Season: 12-21-1)

Projected Starting QB: Jared Goff (8th Season: 54-45-1)

Last Season/Game: 9-8, 20-16 W @ Green Bay Packers

Preseason: 2-1 (21-16 W v. New York Giants, 25-7 L v. Jacksonville Jaguars, 26-17 W @ Carolina Panthers)

Looking Ahead to Week #2: Sunday v. Seattle Seahawks (0-0)

HutchW1.png.21138135c1dfe4b36d10b35633650b46.png

Elsewhere in the NFL

Primetime: Cowboys @ Giants (SNF), Bills @ Jets (MNF)

1:00pm: Panthers @ Falcons, Texans @ Ravens, Bengals @ Browns, Jaguars @ Colts, Buccaneers @ Vikings, Titans @ Saints, 49ers @ Steelers, Cardinals @ Commanders

4:25pm: Raiders @ Broncos, Packers @ Bears, Dolphins @ Chargers, Eagles @ Patriots, Rams @ Seahawks

But most importantly.......

SeasonOpenerGraphic.png.958e14a6088d85cd8d402a70684349a3.png

Edited by MichiganCardinal
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Instant reaction, I would we play at Arrowhead in September as opposed to December.

Agreed. Even all variables aside coming into this specific game, the first few games of every season is a crapshoot while teams figure stuff out and get into the groove. Even if you think the Chiefs are heads-and-shoulders above the Lions (I don’t), worse teams beat better teams all the time in week one.

Last year, the Bears beat the 49ers, the Steelers beat the Bengals, the Commies beat the Jaguars, and the Bucs held the Cowboys to 3 points. None of those would be expected in a vacuum, but week one always has unexpected outcomes.

• Like 2

I’ll be making the trip for this one, I’m excited to see Arrowhead.

I expect a very competitive game that is a little sloppy by both teams and could go either way. I don’t expect to see vintage Mahomes (outside maybe a flash or two), and I expect Goff’s streak of zero interceptions to end.

I think the offensive line will make even the casual observer say “wow” a few times. We haven’t ever seen this unit as healthy as they are now, because Big V got hurt in the preseason last year. As good as they were last year, the could legitimately be better this year, and Gibbs could make a big splash in his debut as a result.

On the defensive side, I’m a little worried for our linebacking corps. I think the Mahomes —> Kelce connection may pick on Anzalone and Campbell and require some safety and nickel help. It’s a tall task to limit Kelce. Given the way CJGJ chirps and the way Kelce has been a hot head in camp, maybe we put those two together and see what comes of it.

The biggest question is ultimately going to be cohesion. I’m not super worried about the offense, we are retaining the OC, OL, QB, and WR1. But on the defense, we could be looking at 6 or 7 new faces starting. We will get to see how effective camp was at establishing leadership and getting everyone on the same page. We won’t be able to afford stupid mistakes and holes in coverage.

• Like 1

38-37 Chiefs. Lions lose on final possession cause either A. they miss the go ahead  kick or B. they fo for it on 4th down cause they don't trust the kicking situation and don't convert.

Sorry for the Debbie Downer post but in my gut that is truly what I feel. Btw the reason for the odd 37 is cause of a missed xp or two. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

In terms of different type of outcomes this is the order I'm most confident in them happening.

1. Lions hang tight to the end but lose a close one 

2. Lions hang tight till half time and KC pulls away in the 2nd half

3. Lions win a close one. 

4. KC blows them out from start to finish. 

5. KC hangs tight for a half but Lions pull away in the 2nd half.(Think UM vs. OsU 22)

6. Lions dominate from start to finish and blow them out. 

7. Ot tie

I want to give the Lions the win on this so badly because I'm all aboard the hype train and my emotions are running wild brother. But being being rational, even without Chris Jones, Kansas City has so much fire power on offense and the Lions have historically struggled with mobile QBs and Mahomes is the very best of them.

I don't think this game is a blow out at all. I think it will be a slugfest, just like last year's Eagles game was, and come down to the wire. I think we will run the ball down KC's throats and dominate the line of scrimmage on offense. I think they best us only on the better QB front with Mahomes. It comes down to a last second play or late drive to win it. I'm going Chefs 31-Lions 27.

1997 - Commercial - Snickers (Who are the Chefs) on Make a GIF

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

whoa there....it's usually the second quarter before mcs and tp start calling for everyone to be fired.

How long until we get a post critical of offensive play calling? Also, it's too bad MB disappeared. I'd really love to have condensing post late in the 4th quarter as the Lions are making a late comeback about how everyone was calling for Campbell to be fired just 25 minutes ago.

18 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Julian Okwara to IR and re-signed Craig Reynolds.

Expected.

Also resigned David Blough to the practice squad and to be the #3 QB.

Man, I'd just as soon they kept Adrian Martinez as re-sign Blough - but at least it's not Tim Boyle.

On 8/30/2023 at 12:33 PM, MichiganCardinal said:

I’ll be making the trip for this one, I’m excited to see Arrowhead.

I expect a very competitive game that is a little sloppy by both teams and could go either way. I don’t expect to see vintage Mahomes (outside maybe a flash or two), and I expect Goff’s streak of zero interceptions to end.

I think the offensive line will make even the casual observer say “wow” a few times. We haven’t ever seen this unit as healthy as they are now, because Big V got hurt in the preseason last year. As good as they were last year, the could legitimately be better this year, and Gibbs could make a big splash in his debut as a result.

On the defensive side, I’m a little worried for our linebacking corps. I think the Mahomes —> Kelce connection may pick on Anzalone and Campbell and require some safety and nickel help. It’s a tall task to limit Kelce. Given the way CJGJ chirps and the way Kelce has been a hot head in camp, maybe we put those two together and see what comes of it.

The biggest question is ultimately going to be cohesion. I’m not super worried about the offense, we are retaining the OC, OL, QB, and WR1. But on the defense, we could be looking at 6 or 7 new faces starting. We will get to see how effective camp was at establishing leadership and getting everyone on the same page. We won’t be able to afford stupid mistakes and holes in coverage.

Awesome that you are making the trip.  I have very little desire of ever attending another road Lions game in most NFL stadiums but Arrowhead is an exception.  Seems a great place with decent folks that aren’t savage aholes like in Philly or SF.    Have a killer trip and enjoy the BBQ and a Lions win.  

42-27 Lions

Like the 2017 season opener when Alex Smith led a young KC team into Gillette for a stunning victory over the defending champs on ring night.  

Edited by Hongbit

39 minutes ago, djhutch said:

Man, I'd just as soon they kept Adrian Martinez as re-sign Blough - but at least it's not Tim Boyle.

Can they have two QB's on the practice squad?

Because I'm fine with Blough as an emergency QB.

Martinez is nowhere near being that.

But I'd still like him on the PS to develop him, and to show as the running QB in practices, that we could use... IMO.

• Like 1