Week One: Detroit Lions (0-0) @ Kansas City Chiefs (0-0)

13 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

How long until we get a post critical of offensive play calling? Also, it's too bad MB disappeared. I'd really love to have condensing post late in the 4th quarter as the Lions are making a late comeback about how everyone was calling for Campbell to be fired just 25 minutes ago.

its nice to be able to say "jared goff has some question marks" without it turning into a seven page diatribe that always ends with everyone else being called liars.

• Like 1

I think the fact that Buggs practiced rules out a trade. Although, I supposed one could argue that Buggs would be a throw in piece for any trade for a big name player, so if he did sustain a major injury they could always swap in another piece and/or add draft picks.

Honestly the only trade that would explain a delay in the trade happening would be with KC for Chris Jones. According to one report I saw Jones is looking for a $30M a year deal. That seems very high. I'm also not sure if a guy holding out is the type of guy the Lions would want to add to the team. (For the record, the NFL where there is no guaranteed contracts, is one of the few areas where I tend to side with the players in hold outs. So I'm not saying Jones is a bad dude or anything and obviously Holmes and Campbell would be involved in talking with him I'm sure.)

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

I think the fact that Buggs practiced rules out a trade. Although, I supposed one could argue that Buggs would be a throw in piece for any trade for a big name player, so if he did sustain a major injury they could always swap in another piece and/or add draft picks.

Honestly the only trade that would explain a delay in the trade happening would be with KC for Chris Jones. According to one report I saw Jones is looking for a $30M a year deal. That seems very high. I'm also not sure if a guy holding out is the type of guy the Lions would want to add to the team. (For the record, the NFL where there is no guaranteed contracts, is one of the few areas where I tend to side with the players in hold outs. So I'm not saying Jones is a bad dude or anything and obviously Holmes and Campbell would be involved in talking with him I'm sure.)

If we acquired Chris Jones I think that would elevate my hype level to probably NFC Championship game status. The hype train has already left the station and acquiring Jones would have it far down the tracks.

While I do not at all think the Lions are about to get Chris Jones, in the event they did, no way on Earth does KC trade him before we have to play them. But I don't think Chris Jones is going anywhere but KC. Just as Quinnen Williams wasn't going anywhere but the Jets and Lamar anywhere but the Ravens. All pipe dreams. On top of that, Brad Holmes has shown no penchant to pay big money to an aging veteran or a player that isn't his own, home grown talent. No way is he giving 29 year old Chris Jones, who is about to be on the wrong side of 30, a $30/mil per year deal. No way!

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

Should we be encouraged that one of our better DL from 2022 was beaten out for playing time week 1?

Depends why. Assuming that he's just a healthy scratch (which I think is more likely than some mystery trade) then the two prevailing theories I've heard:

1. Punishment for missing voluntary practices. This seems to be the idea floated by Buggs, but this seems very counter to Holmes/Campbell, especially given that Buggs' kid was being born. (Note this is all just speculation based on limited bit of info.) 

2. KC is not a run heavy offence and Buggs biggest strength is run defense. The Lions prefer other linemen who are better in coverage and/or QB pressure.

If the reason he's not playing is #1... that's not anything I'd find encouraging as it seems petty on the Lions part. If it's #2... that's encouraging because it shows smarts from the coaching staff and an uptick the talent level of the team.

38 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

No way is he giving 29 year old Chris Jones, who is about to be on the wrong side of 30, a $30/mil per year deal. No way!

Right... that's the part that makes me think the Lions aren't trading. I'd assume that Jones wants a long term deal at that $30M/year range... at least three years. I don't seem Holmes doing that. The Lions would also need to adjust some stuff to get that $30 inside the cap. They're like $13M under cap right now I think... add in $2M for trading Buggs. That still leaves in the range of $15M needed.

33 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Depends why. Assuming that he's just a healthy scratch (which I think is more likely than some mystery trade) then the two prevailing theories I've heard:

1. Punishment for missing voluntary practices. This seems to be the idea floated by Buggs, but this seems very counter to Holmes/Campbell, especially given that Buggs' kid was being born. (Note this is all just speculation based on limited bit of info.) 

2. KC is not a run heavy offence and Buggs biggest strength is run defense. The Lions prefer other linemen who are better in coverage and/or QB pressure.

If the reason he's not playing is #1... that's not anything I'd find encouraging as it seems petty on the Lions part. If it's #2... that's encouraging because it shows smarts from the coaching staff and an uptick the talent level of the team.

I don't see #1 as petty discipline necessarily so much as it is means to the end of him falling down the depth chart that he is interpreting as punishment. Voluntarily workouts aren't meant to be hazing, they're meant to get your body into shape earlier. If three guys are all around the same talent level, and A and B went to voluntary workouts while C didn't, it would stand to reason that A and B would be further along in being prepared for the season come week one.

I could see him being told he was going to be a healthy scratch simply because they saw a better chance to win with others at the position. If he was passed on the depth chart by guys like Levi and/or Benito Jones, who were at voluntary workouts, and Buggs asks why they are seen as better than him, he could be honestly told "they are working hard, they put in the extra minutes at voluntary workouts, and right here / right now, we think put us in a better position to win against Kansas City." ... To which Buggs would say, that's BS, I only wasn't there because my kid was being born.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

...he could be honestly told "they are working hard, they put in the extra minutes at voluntary workouts, and right here / right now, we think put us in a better position to win against Kansas City." ... To which Buggs would say, that's BS, I only wasn't there because my kid was being born.

That seems like a plausible situation... not them saying he was being punished, but he could be interpreting it that way.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Kelce status uncertain for Thursday with a hyperextended knee 

https://x.com/rapsheet/status/1699121863425671499?s=61&t=don8lQTnTq5FKXq14p2GMw

As I said earlier in the thread, it would be a big plus for us if Chris Jones is out and an even bigger plus if Kelce is out. That said, I think I want the Chiefs at their best on Thursday because I want to say we beat them at their best. I don't want excuses and asterisks next to the win with people saying "Oh you only beat them because Kelce didn't play or Chris Jones sat out or whatever." I want our boys to beat them at their very best. So I hope Kelce does play. 

4 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't see #1 as petty discipline necessarily so much as it is means to the end of him falling down the depth chart that he is interpreting as punishment. Voluntarily workouts aren't meant to be hazing, they're meant to get your body into shape earlier. If three guys are all around the same talent level, and A and B went to voluntary workouts while C didn't, it would stand to reason that A and B would be further along in being prepared for the season come week one.

I could see him being told he was going to be a healthy scratch simply because they saw a better chance to win with others at the position. If he was passed on the depth chart by guys like Levi and/or Benito Jones, who were at voluntary workouts, and Buggs asks why they are seen as better than him, he could be honestly told "they are working hard, they put in the extra minutes at voluntary workouts, and right here / right now, we think put us in a better position to win against Kansas City." ... To which Buggs would say, that's BS, I only wasn't there because my kid was being born.

I don’t think voluntary workouts are going to put anyone any more ahead than others who workout on their own.  Except in a coach’s mind.