Week One: Detroit Lions (0-0) @ Kansas City Chiefs (0-0)

9 hours ago, ben9753 said:

Most hype around a regular season game since???

I dunno... I can't think one. Maybe if there was a "Win and your in" game in the past? But even those where never with a team that I think any fan felt positive about being able to make a run in the playoffs.

I will say that I don't think the hype is about this game as much as it is about the season starting. I sorta expect to lose honestly, but if the Lions can at least look like they belong on the field I'll be happy okay with the results.

• Like 1

One of the things that has me really excited seems to be flying under the radar in most of the Lions pre season hype frenzy.

Hutch Year 2

He played great last year and should only get better.   Based on what he showed as a rookie along with his talent, there is a very real possibility that he could become next Bosa, Watt, or Crosby and take a huge step this season.  

I’m also expecting huge things from Brian Branch but that’s for another post.  

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

What rookie are you most excited to see tonight? For me it is Jack Campbell to see if this run defense and LB unit are improved right from the start or if this is going to be an ongoing improvement as Campbell gets adjusted into the defense.

I dunno if I can pick one... I mean, I'll be excited to see what Gibbs can do. I want to see if LaPorta ends up being worth the pick. I want to see what Campbell can do to help against the run and the pass.  And I want to see what Branch brings to the table. If I had to rank 'em, it'd probably be like this:

1. Gibbs
2. Branch
3. Campbell
4. LaPorta

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

I dunno if I can pick one... I mean, I'll be excited to see what Gibbs can do. I want to see if LaPorta ends up being worth the pick. I want to see what Campbell can do to help against the run and the pass.  And I want to see what Branch brings to the table. If I had to rank 'em, it'd probably be like this:

1. Gibbs
2. Branch
3. Campbell
4. LaPorta

Campbell is up top for me because I want to see if we have a real run D and a LB or someone who can finally cover a TE. It will be nice to have a well-rounded defense that can actually cover TEs in space too.

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

1. Gibbs
2. Branch
3. Campbell
4. LaPorta

I would go:

1. Gibbs (I wanna see how explosive he can be)

2. Campbell (like tater says... can we ACTUALLY cover TE's now... please?), I really wanna see what Campbell can do at our 2nd level of D which has been piss-poor especially in pass-coverage for a long time...

3. LaPorta (seemed to be a favorite of Goff's in training camp so 10 catches for 110 yards and 2 TD's please. What? Kelce who?)

4. Branch 

Just don't hurt me again Lions, that's all I ask.

I expect a loss tonight but I do expect the Lions to give the Chiefs a good game. They don't NEED to win tonight but they NEED to have a good showing after they've been touted as the new darlings of the NFL all offseason. Prove that this isn't SOL.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Couldn’t ask for a nicer day in northwest Minnesota. Sweatshirt weather.  Sun shining. Let’s ****ing go.  

On the other hand, it's boiling eggs on sidewalk weather in New York. 110 Heat Index, just came in from outside as a sweaty mess. Feels more like mid summer baseball weather than football weather.

Edited by NYLion

30 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Just don't hurt me again Lions, that's all I ask.

I expect a loss tonight but I do expect the Lions to give the Chiefs a good game. They don't NEED to win tonight but they NEED to have a good showing after they've been touted as the new darlings of the NFL all offseason. Prove that this isn't SOL.

Hey NY, I am of a similar mindset, and excited about a real possibility for a W. Even if they lose, I got to remind myself of 2 things:

• Last years Buffalo game. No one expected us to play within one completion of a tie game. Joseph misses breaking up that pass by inches and Buff kicks the game winner. Despite the L, I loved that game. 
  • Last years finale against GB. Eliminated from playoffs, national spotlight, cold weather and we still kick Rogers to the curb.

Those 2 games for me have me believing these are not the SOL.

Can't wait!

• Like 1

Chiefs 30 - Lions 24. I love this team and what I believe they are going to become this year. While I believe that truly great teams will find ways to beat Kansas City, I think it is an awful lofty task to ask them to go into Arrowhead and beat the defending Super Bowl Champs on the road. I think this game is a dogfight and we lose a close one in the end. Just please, oh please don't let it be something the refs did or some new rule we've never heard of that ends up costing us the game.

6 hours ago, RedRamage said:

1. Gibbs
2. Branch
3. Campbell
4. LaPorta

I agree with this list. As for where these guys were drafted? If they take us to the promised land, I guarantee nobody will be complaining about where they were drafted.