Week Two: Seattle Seahawks (0-1) @ Detroit Lions (1-0)

MichiganCardinal

image.png.d13b28b443c2cfe3bb60244b3cd4df28.png     vs.          1326455008_SeahawksLogo.jpeg.1bb19e00f1c95b8e39b8fab384af2f89.jpeg.9d6214c3fc2d2c17b40c8c06185b0d99.jpeg

Setting: 09/17/2023 1:00pm on FOX

Site: Ford Field in Detroit, MI

Weather: Climate Controlled

Opening Spread: Lions -3.5

All-Time Series Record: Seahawks lead, 12-5

Last Meeting: 10/02/2022, Seahawks won 48-45

Seattle Seahawks (0-1)

Head Coach: Pete Carroll (18th Season: 161-82-1)

Projected Starting QB: Geno Smith (11th Season: 22-30)

Last Game: 30-13 L v. Los Angeles Rams (1-0)

Looking Ahead to Week #3: Sunday v. Carolina Panthers (0-1)

09102023_Seahawks-Rams_152848.webp.380dab6695c8f2b82373137b50de5e04.webp

Your Detroit Lions (1-0)

Head Coach: Dan Campbell (3rd Season: 13-21-1)

Projected Starting QB: Jared Goff (8th Season: 55-45-1)

Last Game: 21-20 W @ Kansas City Chiefs (0-1)

Looking Ahead to Week #3: Sunday v. Atlanta Falcons (1-0)

skysports-jared-goff-nfl-lions_6278012.jpeg.1962a484639d5d847df350d3f0037c58.jpeg

Elsewhere in the NFL

Primetime: Vikings @ Eagles (TNF), Dolphins @ Patriots (SNF), Saints @ Panthers (MNF), Browns @ Steelers (MNF)

1:00pm: Raiders @ Bills, Packers @ Falcons, Ravens @ Bengals, Chargers @ Titans, Bears @ Buccaneers, Chiefs @ Jaguars, Colts @ Texans

4:05/4:25pm: 49ers @ Rams, Giants @ Cardinals, Jets @ Cowboys, Commanders @ Broncos

Seahawks will be looking for a bounce back game after looking really bad against a Rams team that was missing its best weapon. Maybe when they saw Kupp was out they didn't try because they figured Tirico would claim that a win would have come with an asterisk anyway.

Seahawks have scored a combined 99 points in the last two matchups between these teams. Here's hoping the Lions new-look defense can at least force one punt, which did not happen last year.

Ford Field is going to be ALIVE.

Seattle didn’t really have a signature win last year. Maybe their best win was against the Chargers or Giants. But they seem to have thought they would coast by the Rams today and got embarrassed instead.

Geno Smith surprised last year, but it is one thing to surprise people and back into the playoffs, and another thing to live up to playoff expectations. The team lost its composure in the second half today. It could happen again next week in a hostile environment. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, buddha said:

i want to see more jahmyr gibbs in this game.  he was electric against the chiefs.  have to get him more involved.

isnt there someone on the practice squad who can outplay marvin jones?

While the Gibbs/Montgomery snap count caught a lot of attention, I thought the WR snap count was interesting too.

ASB saw 94%, Josh Reynolds saw 70%, Marvin Jones saw 56%, Kalif Raymond saw 27% (plus five ST snaps), and Antoine Green did not see the field.

When Jamo returns, it seems like the obvious answer is to relegate Green to the practice squad, but I would also think that if Jones doesn't improve - and quickly - the answer could just be relegating him to Raymond's share, or even Green's (absent) share.

11 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

While the Gibbs/Montgomery snap count caught a lot of attention, I thought the WR snap count was interesting too.

ASB saw 94%, Josh Reynolds saw 70%, Marvin Jones saw 56%, Kalif Raymond saw 27% (plus five ST snaps), and Antoine Green did not see the field.

When Jamo returns, it seems like the obvious answer is to relegate Green to the practice squad, but I would also think that if Jones doesn't improve - and quickly - the answer could just be relegating him to Raymond's share, or even Green's (absent) share.

It's good to have a couple of extra receivers in case of injury. I would say we're a bit thin at RB. An injury there could be devastating. 

I was unimpressed by Geno Smith and Seattle in week 1. Geno Smith and the entire Seahawks team sure look a lot more like the team that limped into the playoff down the stretch than they do the team that came into Ford Field and hung 45 on the Lions. If this team wants to keep putting nails in the SOL coffin than you go and win against Seattle this week. I feel this should be a nice 7-10 point win for the Lions. It's the NFL, so you rarely blow anyone out, but the Lions should be able to handle Seattle if they want to be considered among the NFL's Super Bowl contenders.

The other things I am looking for this week are as follow. First, is Marvin Jones going to continue to get a top 3 target share in this offense or will Ben Johnson and Dan Campbell realize that cake is fully baked? Jones at this point should either be on the practice squad or off the roster if he keeps looking at all like he did last week. As for who should replace him, I think putting Gibbs out wide in specific sets, as well as more use of Kalif Raymond until Jamo comes back is where I would go. Truthfully, I'd love to make a trade for a WR and go out and get another outside guy, but I don't think that's happening anytime soon, if at all.

Second, who on this defensive line is going to step up and go after the QB besides Hutch? I'm not expecting this team to have multiple players with double-digit sack numbers, but there needs to be sustained pressure from the other side of Aiden, even when he lines up along the interior. I'd like to think Houston and Cominsky will each step up and take part of that role. I'd like to think Josh Paschal will make an appearance and be useful there as well.

43 minutes ago, number20 said:

Note to Leos: don't lay an egg next week. Has that classic trap game feel to it

While Campbell's MO over the last few seasons has been for the team to lay an egg in one or two games a season (Bengals and Eagles in 21, Panthers in 22), I think it's often the result of fatigue rather than a stereotypical let-down. I really think this is the right regime to not allow the players to ride too high and overlook an opponent.

I think it was telling that Campbell said in his postgame remarks to the team that they have a lot to work on, and you could hear the agreement in the room. This wasn't the Vikings victory in 2021 to go to 1-10-1, where the team rushed the field and danced in the locker room. They were happy and proud to leave with the W, but they know it's just one of 17. I'd be surprised to see them overlook the seagulls.

4 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

While Campbell's MO over the last few seasons has been for the team to lay an egg in one or two games a season (Bengals and Eagles in 21, Panthers in 22), I think it's often the result of fatigue rather than a stereotypical let-down. I really think this is the right regime to not allow the players to ride too high and overlook an opponent.

I think it was telling that Campbell said in his postgame remarks to the team that they have a lot to work on, and you could hear the agreement in the room. This wasn't the Vikings victory in 2021 to go to 1-10-1, where the team rushed the field and danced in the locker room. They were happy and proud to leave with the W, but they know it's just one of 17. I'd be surprised to see them overlook the seagulls.

Let's hope you're right

36 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Second, who on this defensive line is going to step up and go after the QB besides Hutch? I'm not expecting this team to have multiple players with double-digit sack numbers, but there needs to be sustained pressure from the other side of Aiden, even when he lines up along the interior. I'd like to think Houston and Cominsky will each step up and take part of that role. I'd like to think Josh Paschal will make an appearance and be useful there as well.

I think their love affair for Charles Harris is fascinating. They named him a team captain, and he saw 80% of the snaps against the Chiefs (compared to 91% for Hutch, 42% for Cominsky, 32% for Houston, and 26% for Paschal), but I only heard his name called once all game. The stats back that up, as he recorded only one tackle and one assist. He showed some flashes of excellence last year before he got hurt. I distinctly remember the strip sack against the Commies in week two last year.

Compared to Cominsky, Houston, and Paschal though, all of whom had distinctive big plays against the Chiefs, I'd like to see Harris create more disturbance and have more of a presence if he's going to be on the field 4/5 of the time.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I was unimpressed by Geno Smith and Seattle in week 1. Geno Smith and the entire Seahawks team sure look a lot more like the team that limped into the playoff down the stretch than they do the team that came into Ford Field and hung 45 on the Lions. If this team wants to keep putting nails in the SOL coffin than you go and win against Seattle this week. I feel this should be a nice 7-10 point win for the Lions. It's the NFL, so you rarely blow anyone out, but the Lions should be able to handle Seattle if they want to be considered among the NFL's Super Bowl contenders.

The other things I am looking for this week are as follow. First, is Marvin Jones going to continue to get a top 3 target share in this offense or will Ben Johnson and Dan Campbell realize that cake is fully baked? Jones at this point should either be on the practice squad or off the roster if he keeps looking at all like he did last week. As for who should replace him, I think putting Gibbs out wide in specific sets, as well as more use of Kalif Raymond until Jamo comes back is where I would go. Truthfully, I'd love to make a trade for a WR and go out and get another outside guy, but I don't think that's happening anytime soon, if at all.

No way will MCDC bench or stop using Jones after one game. He'll play and get several balls thrown his way, we'll see how he does.

The jumping to conclusions here is mind boggling. 

Why should anybody be surprised that the game plan and personnel groupings for week one — after a preseason in which the first team offense barely played at all, and after a suspension of a promising young receiver — included the veteran Marvin Jones? Yes he was ineffective, and his usage in the second half demonstrated the coaching staff’s recognition of this. 

Maybe MJJ and Ben Johnson should be taken out back and shot. More likely it will take MJJ a bit of game time to develop chemistry with Goff, just like happened with Chark last year. But if the coaching staff believes MJJ has lost it, something tells me we will find out the week Jaymo comes back. 

• Like 1