Week Two: Seattle Seahawks (0-1) @ Detroit Lions (1-0)

MichiganCardinal

42 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Yes, this is what I was referencing above. Although, I was thinking we had all three time outs left and a little less time was on the clock. But it still speaks to the point that Campbell let a good 20-30 seconds unnecessarily run off the clock and if we did only run 5 plays before the FG, that further showcases he wasn't playing to win. He Lloyd Carr'd it and got conservative when it mattered most in the game instead of playing for the win.

Exactly. It may have been 3 timeouts, my memory is spotty. But the documented facts don't lie, Campbell went into the tank, just playing for overtime. I seem to recall he had clock management issues his first couple of seasons here;

Edited by Sports_Freak

41 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Yes, this is what I was referencing above. Although, I was thinking we had all three time outs left and a little less time was on the clock. But it still speaks to the point that Campbell let a good 20-30 seconds unnecessarily run off the clock and if we did only run 5 plays before the FG, that further showcases he wasn't playing to win. He Lloyd Carr'd it and got conservative when it mattered most in the game instead of playing for the win.

Screenshot_20230919_101005_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.c1998809fc3317f7d40f561668f2fc92.jpg

We do need some more takeaways, if there was anything that gave me apprehension about the Lions being good this year based off the success last year was how we would fair in the turnover battle. 

Last year we were really good in that regard which always helps to masks any flaws on the team but that stuff doesnt always carry over to the following year, particularly takeaways.

Bottom line is if they continue to lose the turnover battle or continue to not get takeaways they are going to be in big trouble. They simply don't have the defense that is going to consistently force teams to punt.

Edited by RandyMarsh

8 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Is the problem coaching, personnel, or both?

Against the Chiefs the Lions bothered Mahomes all night. They never got home, though they came very close multiple times. Mahomes was just able to evade and avoid the sack each time.

Against the Seahawks, the one they got was really the only time they came terribly close, and it was more a coverage sack and a bad decision by Geno Smith than anything else.

I tend to think it’s both. Glenn seems insistent to focus on coverage, doesn’t blitz, and hopes that good coverage will give someone on the defensive front enough time to win one-on-one and make something happen. But they’re not, or at least on Sunday they weren’t. And if they’re not, you have to adjust, because eventually someone will get open.

Charles Harris is not playing like a starter, let alone a captain. I haven’t heard his name called even once through two weeks. We learned last year around this time that Hutch can’t do it on his own. When he was given the emergence of Houston across from him is when both showed how good they could be.

I’m not saying to fire Glenn or that wholesale changes need to be made. But we can’t afford to start 1-6 again, and real evaluation needs to take place of how to fix the pass rush if this Sunday looks at all similar to last Sunday. Chase Young missed the season opener but collected 1.5 sacks in his season debut. But of course the Commanders have started 2-0 and probably think they’re good, so he’s probably not on the trade block for anything reasonable.