Week Two: Seattle Seahawks (0-1) @ Detroit Lions (1-0)

MichiganCardinal

Stoney just said the Lions gave up 132 yards to Seattle Tight Ends. What the efffff did we draft Jack Campbell for? What's up with Glenn's lack of aggression, the soft zone coverage, and allowing bigger wide outs and TEs to eat them up in space? We watch these same things over and over again from the defense. But the inability to cover TEs in open space and really period is a continued problem of Glenn's defensive system.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Stoney just said the Lions gave up 132 yards to Seattle Tight Ends. What the efffff did we draft Jack Campbell for? What's up with Glenn's lack of aggression, the soft zone coverage, and allowing bigger wide outs and TEs to eat them up in space? We watch these same things over and over again from the defense. But the inability to cover TEs in open space and really period is a continued problem of Glenn's defensive system.

The Seahawks use a ton of multiple TE sets so giving up yards to them is to be expected, maybe not as much as we did but when you run as many plays for them as the Seahawks do you're bound to give up your fair share. In regards to Campbell without actually watching isolated film on him it's hard for me to say how much or little blame he should receive.

36 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Rams after dominating the Seahawks last week are currently hanging tough with the 49ers 10-10 late in the 2nd quarter. Perhaps people(myself included) wrote the franchise off too early after the injury laden bad season last year. Maybe with a healthy Stafford they are still a legit threat in the NFC. 

LA at Detroit in the NFC Championship game?

I mean naturally after a loss you're not going to be as optimistic as you were before the game but my feelings about the team are no different than they were this morning. I still think they are the best team in the division and in that 2nd tier in the conference behind Philly, SF and possibly Dallas. 

Basically they are a good team but flawed team but considering the division and conference in general that may be good enough to make a deep run in the playoffs if things break your way. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Do you feel deflated after this loss or just as optimistic as you for coming into the game?

Knocked back to reality a bit, I think Seattle's obituary was way too prematurely written after their loss last week and the Lions were crowned way too prematurely after their very fortunate (lets be honest) win last week against the SB champs. 

It's too early to really know anything. It was two toss up games against two good teams so I think 1-1 is fair marks for where they should be right now and I think most of us would have taken it. I do think Montgomery being out for any length of time is a major blow and they need Amon Ra to be healthy, those were my two big takeaways from this game. I also don't trust a Glenn led defense one bit going forward so the offense will have to be great every week if they want to win games.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, buddha said:

how much for chase young or aaron donald?

Given his age, I'd give up a 2nd rounder for Chase Young. It's not like our 2nd round picks usually amount to much anyways. I think a 2nd for a guy whose still just 24 is fair. I'd offer a 2nd + 1 additional pick if that's what it took to get it done. 

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, TP_Fan said:

I’ve got no hope for any meaningful this season. At what point can you keep thinking the defense will turn a corner under Glenn?  The scheme is a big problem. It’s not being addressed. 

Campbell can't fire Glenn because he'll be next if he has to fire Glenn. Sure, the very best coaches let go of coordinators all the time from Belichick to Reid. But for a coach as new as Campbell, without any major wins or achievements under his belt, he has no one left to blame but himself if both the coordinators he initially hired end up fired (Lynn and Glenn). At that point, the emperor will have no clothes and if this season goes south in any kind of way, Campbell will be next.

I said it last year and I still believe it. Aubrey Pleasant was scapegoated and fired because the PR of having to fire Glenn would have looked bad on Campbell and meant he was next. It's becoming clear that firing Pleasant did not quite improve our defense the way we thought it did. Today's embarrassing performance highlights that.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Do you feel deflated after this loss or just as optimistic as you for coming into the game?

Wouldn't say deflated. More annoyed than anything. They had 10 days to prepare for Seattle. Carroll brought a better game plan with less time. He got his players ready. They were focused on football. We're focused on hype and ski masks

46 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Campbell can't fire Glenn because he'll be next if he has to fire Glenn. Sure, the very best coaches let go of coordinators all the time from Belichick to Reid. But for a coach as new as Campbell, without any major wins or achievements under his belt, he has no one left to blame but himself if both the coordinators he initially hired end up fired (Lynn and Glenn). At that point, the emperor will have no clothes and if this season goes south in any kind of way, Campbell will be next.

I said it last year and I still believe it. Aubrey Pleasant was scapegoated and fired because the PR of having to fire Glenn would have looked bad on Campbell and meant he was next. It's becoming clear that firing Pleasant did not quite improve our defense the way we thought it did. Today's embarrassing performance highlights that.

Campbell fired AP because AP was not following orders and the team was suffering as a result. The defense made major improvements immediately after AP got fired. 

The only people discussing firing Aaron Glenn are on this message board. The only thing embarrassing today was three turnovers by the offense. Without them, Detroit might have won by 20 points. (It is actually somewhat impressive that Detroit scored 31 after coughing it up three times.)

The defense is much improved over last year but until Moseley can play the secondary is still thin outside and the pass rush is still sporadic. They need more production there. 

Edited by Jason_R

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Also, Alim McNeil didn't register on the stat sheet today. Neither did Levi. I sarcastically ask were they even playing? Wasn't this supposed to be the new, improved Alim McNeil who cut weight, got slimmer, and was supposed to add more of a pass rushing element to his game?

Against a banged up, 2nd string OL no less

38 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Campbell fired AP because AP was not following orders and the team was suffering as a result. The defense made major improvements immediately after AP got fired. 

The only people discussing firing Aaron Glenn are on this message board. The only thing embarrassing today was three turnovers by the offense. Without them, Detroit might have won by 20 points. (It is actually somewhat impressive that Detroit scored 31 after coughing it up three times.)

The defense is much improved over last year but until Moseley can play the secondary is still thin outside and the pass rush is still sporadic. They need more production there. 

yeah - anytime you get to overtime in a game where you are -3 TA/GA you prolly did OK on the rest.

50 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Lol the defense is improved?  Come on. And Campbell had to give a public statement on Aaron Glenn last year.  His seat has been hot for a long time. 

53 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

The run defense is improved, the pass defense is as porous as it's ever been. They got extremely lucky against the Chiefs last week because the stats don't tell the story of that game at all because the receivers couldn't make basic catches and even the Branch INT was an easy catch that went off the receivers hands straight into Branch's.

The defense improved last year partly because of the easier second half schedule. They faced Philly, Seattle, Miami, Minnesota and Dallas in the first half. The second half of the schedule was a steady dose of NFC North opponents that struggled offensively in Chicago and Green Bay and the NY teams that were below average offensively, Carolina was a weak offense but destroyed the Lions. The one legit offense in Minnesota tore them up. They did play well against Buffalo, but in general I think the schedule had more to do with the improvement than scheme.

If you watch the defense closely, you see guys moving around looking confused, guys out of position a lot and teams exploiting their weaknesses constantly with little to no adjustments (why Glenn refused to blitz in this game outside of a few instances is beyond me). Glenn is a problem and I just hope he figures it out before it sinks the team. Good thing is that the offense looks like they can score on anybody and hopefully that continues because they'll need to to overcome this defense.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, buddha said:

lets not let dan campbell off the hook.  you had the ball in your hands with a chance to win in regulation and your clock management was ultra conservative.  

I just rewatched that last drive and it wasn't clock management. They had plenty of time to score but couldn't get the first down. They let like 20 second run off before kicking the FG.

• Like 1