Week Two: Seattle Seahawks (0-1) @ Detroit Lions (1-0)

MichiganCardinal

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Right now the person I feel most bad for is either Kelvin Sheppard or John Scott Jr. If this defense doesn't improve and generate pressure on the QB, one of the two will be labeled as the scapegoat and sent packing. Hopefully this was just a one off poor performance by the defense.

They were awful last week against a depleted KC lineup as well but they dropped a lot of passes to put lipstick on that pig.

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I do agree with this, I did not like the decision to basically play for the tie at the end at all. For starters a FG isn't guaranteed anyway and for another I'd rather not take my chances in OT where a coin flip is so important. I'd rather try to control my destiny and win the game in regulation. 

You have to go for the tie then go to OT at home. You can’t assume you will lose the toss and your defense will get steamrolled. 

Just now, Jason_R said:

You have to go for the tie then go to OT at home. You can’t assume you will lose the toss and your defense will get steamrolled. 

you watched the game, the odds were very good that their defense would get steamrolled.  they had been steamrolled all day.

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

losing a game is one thing, getting dominated up front by seattle's backup offensive line and getting picked apart AGAIN by geno smith is another.

to me this raises real questions about everyone on that dline.  our vaunted "dline depth" doesnt mean **** if 1) they are hurt every week (j okwara, levi, paschal), or 2) you have a bunch of guys are just ok.  the fact that you have A LOT of guys who are just ok isnt optimal.  they need more than hutch.

and they had a chance for two star players and they decided to draft a third down back instead.  calijah kancey was there at 18 and they drafted a linebacker.

this is on brad holmes and aaron glenn.

If the defense dominated and they lost 10-3 with the only TD being given up was a Goff pick 6 people would be overreacting about the offense and how terrible it is and how the league is geared towards offense and they can't even score a single TD. 

Anyway despite my posts I'm not acting like there isn't anything to be concerned about but they are 1-1 after 2 games with the 1 loss being in OT. I'm not gonna overreact one way or another, if they string together some more losses then I will start to be real concerned.

I will say the lack of pass rush has disappointing but the bright spot is that rush defense has played alot better, today they held one of the better 1-2 pair of RBs to under 3 yards a carry. 

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

you watched the game, the odds were very good that their defense would get steamrolled.  they had been steamrolled all day.

You overlook the fact that a coin toss is a 50/50 proposition. If you have the chance to go to OT at home, go to OT  don’t lose the game on 4th down.

Also, at that point, the Lions had basically gifted 14 of 31 points to Seattle. Lions defense had held Seattle to multiple FG attempts, most of which Seattle failed to convert.

I do agree that we are likely going to regret not taking Carter. Even with Hutchinson they could not get any pressure on Smith. 

For the record my argument about going for the TD was not that they should've went for it on 4th down as I agree in that scenario you have to play it safe and try for the FG. My argument was seemingly how they slowed things down after they got into FG range, like they didn't want to make a mistake and were content for settling for a FG. I of course don't know if that was truly their mindset or not but that's how it came across to me. That is the part I disagreed with and I'm not just singling out the Lions here, I'm talking about in general, I see it way too much in the NFL and I never liked it.

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

For the record my argument about going for the TD was not that they should've went for it on 4th down as I agree in that scenario you have to play it safe and try for the FG. My argument was seemingly how they slowed things down after they got into FG range, like they didn't want to make a mistake and were content for settling for a FG. I of course don't know if that was truly their mindset or not but that's how it came across to me. That is the part I disagreed with and I'm not just singling out the Lions here, I'm talking about in general, I see it way too much in the NFL and I never liked it.

They wanted to have the last possession, and they were right to do so. 

27 minutes ago, buddha said:

lets not let dan campbell off the hook.  you had the ball in your hands with a chance to win in regulation and your clock management was ultra conservative.  

I think clock management and play calling was ok on that drive, it was failure to execute, notably the St Brown missed catch on 2nd down. The Lions didn’t run out of time, they just ended up with a 4th and 5  

6 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

They wanted to have the last possession, and they were right to do so. 

To me you go for the TD even if it means leaving them time on the clock. I'd rather be handing them the ball up 4 with 30-40 seconds left then having to attempt a 40 yard FG to send the game into OT.

Edited by RandyMarsh

The Rams after dominating the Seahawks last week are currently hanging tough with the 49ers 10-10 late in the 2nd quarter. Perhaps people(myself included) wrote the franchise off too early after the injury laden bad season last year. Maybe with a healthy Stafford they are still a legit threat in the NFC. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Rams after dominating the Seahawks last week are currently hanging tough with the 49ers 10-10 late in the 2nd quarter. Perhaps people(myself included) wrote the franchise off too early after the injury laden bad season last year. Maybe with a healthy Stafford they are still a legit threat in the NFC. 

giants down 17-0 to the cardinals!

1 minute ago, number20 said:

So far the Lions won a game they were supposed to lose, and lost a game they were supposed to win. Make what you will of it

if you told ua before the season that the lions would be 1-1 after their first two games, we all would have taken it.

next two weeka are key.  packers and falcons.