Tigers Name Jeff Greenberg as General Manager

MichiganCardinal

16 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

He comes from the Chicago…. Blackhawks.

This suggests to me that GM is not going to be a baseball-focused position.  Harris will retain responsibility for all that stuff I presume.  

EDIT: Time with the Cubs shows that perhaps I was too hasty . . .

Edited by theroundsquare

President, Baseball Operations - Scott Harris

Greenberg

Vice President, Assistant General Manager - Sam Menzin, Rob Metzler, Jay Sartori

Vice President, Player Personnel - Scott Bream

Vice President, Player Development - Ryan Garko

so Harris looked far and wide, and hired his Cubs friend. I wonder how this impacts Sam Menzin and Jay Sartori.

2 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

This suggests to me that GM is not going to be a baseball-focused position.  Harris will retain responsibility for all that stuff I presume.  

In fairness he has like 10+ years of baseball experience and one year of hockey experience.

But I think it’s fair to think he will be the analytics guru and Harris will be the communicator and negotiator.

Edited by MichiganCardinal
  • Thanks 1

Just now, theroundsquare said:

That's the new way.  In order to get these top baseball guys from other organizations you have to give them top titles.  What used to be the GM until the last 15 years or so was what the Presidents of Baseball Ops people do today.   Organizations have gotten much larger and roles exist today that didn't back then so you have to give them titles and create a hierarchy.  Jim Campbell reported to the owner.  He was the equivalent of PBO.  Now the GM reports to PBO and scouts and other staff report through him.

Scott Harris was always going to be the key baseball person.  

3 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

President, Baseball Operations - Scott Harris

Greenberg

Vice President, Assistant General Manager - Sam Menzin, Rob Metzler, Jay Sartori

Vice President, Player Personnel - Scott Bream

Vice President, Player Development - Ryan Garko

so Harris looked far and wide, and hired his Cubs friend. I wonder how this impacts Sam Menzin and Jay Sartori.

Maybe he didn't think it was fair to hire one over the other.... and it leaves them open to getting a GM job elsewhere if that interests them.  In one sense you can say "Hey, you guys got to keep your jobs during a regime change, not many people can say that... now show us something."

GM has been #2 in command in most orgs for a while. That was always going to be the case. Title inflation doing its thing. I'm curious if there are other moves and departures. His background/expertise is pretty similar to Menzin's (By the way, I got the feeling he was pretty much the shadow GM toward the end of Avila's tenure).

42 minutes ago, oblong said:

That's the new way.  In order to get these top baseball guys from other organizations you have to give them top titles.  What used to be the GM until the last 15 years or so was what the Presidents of Baseball Ops people do today.   Organizations have gotten much larger and roles exist today that didn't back then so you have to give them titles and create a hierarchy.  Jim Campbell reported to the owner.  He was the equivalent of PBO.  Now the GM reports to PBO and scouts and other staff report through him.

Scott Harris was always going to be the key baseball person.  

We just need to know who to blame when they don't get the players we want.  The media will probably decide that.  

My early sense of this is that, based on his background with the Cubs, Jeff Greenberg is going to take on the nuts and bolts part of general managing—negotiating with teams and agents, feeling out trade possibilities, taking on point-of-contact responsibility between executive management and other departments like scouting and analytics, leading preparation for and executing the drafts, and probably a few other things not immediately leaping to mind—while Scott Harris works with ownership and the executive team to develop the overall vision for baseball operations as well as the strategic direction for Greenberg to implement. In other words, as the titles suggest, I believe Greenberg will do the managing, while Harris does the presiding.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

My early sense of this is that, based on his background with the Cubs, Jeff Greenberg is going to take on the nuts and bolts part of general managing—negotiating with teams and agents, feeling out trade possibilities, taking on point-of-contact responsibility between executive management and other departments like scouting and analytics, leading preparation for and executing the drafts, and probably a few other things not immediately leaping to mind—while Scott Harris works with ownership and the executive team to develop the overall vision for baseball operations as well as the strategic direction for Greenberg to implement. In other words, as the titles suggest, I believe Greenberg will do the managing, while Harris does the presiding.

We can expect him to acquire some devils he knows from his Cubs days.  

So...

As somebody a year older than Greenberg who flirted with the idea of trying to get into baseball, I have some unique thoughts.

He's a guy whose dad owned the Rangers, who helped Mario Lemeiux buy the Penguins, etc. Was able to get two degrees from ivies. Was an unpaid intern for teams/MLB until he was 26, then joined the Cubs front office.

Meanwhile, somebody who wasn't born into money had to pay his own way through school and racked up student loan debt couldn't possibly go the unpaid route for that long and be financially solvent. The financial necessity side of it is why I never tried to make the jump.

No conclusions, just wanted to throw that out there that the infrastructure stacks the front office deck against a lot of people.

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

So...

As somebody a year older than Greenberg who flirted with the idea of trying to get into baseball, I have some unique thoughts.

He's a guy whose dad owned the Rangers, who helped Mario Lemeiux buy the Penguins, etc. Was able to get two degrees from ivies. Was an unpaid intern for teams/MLB until he was 26, then joined the Cubs front office.

Meanwhile, somebody who wasn't born into money had to pay his own way through school and racked up student loan debt couldn't possibly go the unpaid route for that long and be financially solvent. The financial necessity side of it is why I never tried to make the jump.

No conclusions, just wanted to throw that out there that the infrastructure stacks the front office deck against a lot of people.

Let me just throw in that if you had gone into the business thru the minor league route you probably would have been making less money to an Arby's assistant mgr.

2 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Let me just throw in that if you had gone into the business thru the minor league route you probably would have been making less money to an Arby's assistant mgr.

Which somebody whose parents can send you to get two Ivy degrees without blinking can probably handle.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

So...

Time to fire up OOTP and lose a few hours.

39 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

So...

I might have tried it when I was younger, but the statistical revoultion is baseball had not started at that time.  Later, I was already established and making good money and reasonably happy, so there was no reason to experiment a stat analyst job in another field.  Plus, as I get older, I get the feeling that a job in sports probably isn't as fun as it seems.  It's still a data job.  You're just applying it to a different field.  I don't know that it would actually feel like a "baseball job".