10/01/2023 3:10 pm EDT Cleveland Guardians vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I still remember the day they got Miggy.   How stunning it was to lands such a superstar.    Some thought we gave up too much.  LOL.    Back in those days the Tigers made such bold moves, it seemed like every offseason.     Maybe if the young guys pan out and continue developing in 2024 we could start having that feelin again after next year.  

There was talk of scoring 1000 runs. We tanked...

so long miggy.  the greatest tiger hitter of my lifetime.

for all the bitching about roster spots and minor leaguers taking his spot, and how he's a drag on the team, i enjoyed following him this last year.  time to retire for sure, but i liked one last season of cabrera in detroit.

adios miggy.  see you in cooperstown.

• Like 3

Now that Cabrera is done, where does he fit among Tigers all-time?  It's a bit of a challenge because his peak years were so good, but he had so many down years at the end. Giving value to both peak and longevity, here is a quick list:

1. Cobb

2. Kaline

3. Gehringer

4. Greenberg

5. Verlander

6. Heilmann

7. Cabrera

8. Whitaker

9. Trammell

10. Crawford.  

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Now that Cabrera is done, where does he fit among Tigers all-time?  It's a bit of a challenge because his peak years were so good, but he had so many down years at the end. Giving value to both peak and longevity, here is a quick list:

1. Cobb

2. Kaline

3. Gehringer

4. Greenberg

5. Verlander

6. Heilmann

7. Cabrera

8. Whitaker

9. Trammell

10. Crawford.  

If he had retired after 2018,  he's probably #2 on that list.  

22 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

He’s ahead of Mr. Tiger.  He’s in the top 20 in almost every key offensive category.  

I've no desire to re-litigate an old question, but you can't do a meaningful direct comparison between the career offensive out-put of guys that played in the pitchers era and guys that played in the rabbit ball era.

Edited by gehringer_2

28 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

He’s ahead of Mr. Tiger.  He’s in the top 20 in almost every key offensive category.  

kaline played a great right field for most of his career and cabrera was a defensive albatross.

i'm mr "hitting is way more important than defense", but when youre looking over an entire career and one guy is an excellent fielder and the other guy is terrible, it means something.  kaline was good enough with the bat to compete with cabrera even if cabrera's peaks were much higher.

22 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

He is 42nd in OPS+ (a stat which I consider to be a very important offensive stat) among players with at least 5,000 PA.  Kaline made a substantial defensive contribution as well.  Also, when I make a ranking like this, I only look at years they played with the Tigers, so that lowers Cabrera's counting stats.  I would not even consider putting him ahead of Cobb, Kakine and Gehringer..  The highest I could go is 4th.