2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

2 hours ago, Toddwert said:

he talks way too much.. I dont care what he thinks about the Tigers Cody is who we want to hear from

I wish Cody and Evan Petzold would dump their podcast mates and do one together.

It’s been said before, but Tiger podcasts are the worst.  Which is a big waste as I would love to get more Tiger content that way. I just took a job in Chicago and will be in the car going back and forth most week and there is only so much 70’s Soft Rock one can take.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

I wish Cody and Evan Petzold would dump their podcast mates and do one together.

It’s been said before, but Tiger podcasts are the worst.  Which is a big waste as I would love to get more Tiger content that way. I just took a job in Chicago and will be in the car going back and forth most week and there is only so much 70’s Soft Rock one can take.

or Chris Brown with one of them... its so hard to find a decent baseball podcast with hosts that I like 

6 hours ago, Toddwert said:

or Chris Brown with one of them... its so hard to find a decent baseball podcast with hosts that I like 

His partner is unlistenable (Roger?). Constant flubs—he reminds me of Chris Farley’s talk show host on SNL.  It’s funny that all these shows have in common a weak link that is hard to get past.

7 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

His partner is unlistenable (Roger?). Constant flubs—he reminds me of Chris Farley’s talk show host on SNL.  It’s funny that all these shows have in common a weak link that is hard to get past.

I think he (the partner) tries to talk too fast and that is where he gets himself crossed up.  If he would slow his cadence down a bit, I think he'd be a better listen.

9 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

yeah all true I try to give them a little more of a pass because they seem to put a lot of work in covering the Tigers minor league system which you really dont get anywhere else

Edited by Toddwert

Within the context of what they are (ie. purely a fan based podcast, not backed by a larger publication), I don't mind Rog or Chris at all. They aren't always right and can mess up details (including Rog with names), but they also seem earnest in trying to learn and understand the sport. The fact that they have landed some larger interviews of late (including Garko) is a reflection of the work they have put in, even if the overall product is unpolished.

That's a different situation from the TTC situation, which (I assume) is an Athletic backed podcast and where you would expect the quality to be much higher, especially considering that Stavenhagen is probably the best beat writer that follows this team. 

Losing the tangents into other subjects would help... as much as Gorosh can annoy everyone, his podcast with Petzold is structured much better and stays on topic for the most part.

Edited by mtutiger

Soler off of the board to Giants.  The Giants were supposedly considered a leading team for Chapman.  Does this signing affect their interest in Chapman?  Can the Tigers effectively persuade Chapman into a one year with a vesting option or two year with a player opt out?  I know a lot of folks are interested in Jung being brought up at some point this season, but I'm not sure that is something to count on.  Chapman at 3B is a defensive upgrade over the current situation.  The offense is a question mark, but so is the current situation.  I think at this point, salary wouldn't be too big of a deal for the Tigers.  Its not like they would be bidding at $40M for this season or something ridiculous like that.  But if its a short term deal, offer a way out for Chapman to potentially capitalize on a bounce back season.... why not?

54 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Within the context of what they are (ie. purely a fan based podcast, not backed by a larger publication), I don't mind Rog or Chris at all. They aren't always right and can mess up details (including Rog with names), but they also seem earnest in trying to learn and understand the sport. The fact that they have landed some larger interviews of late (including Garko) is a reflection of the work they have put in, even if the overall product is unpolished.

That's a different situation from the TTC situation, which (I assume) is an Athletic backed podcast and where you would expect the quality to be much higher, especially considering that Stavenhagen is probably the best beat writer that follows this team. 

Losing the tangents into other subjects would help... as much as Gorosh can annoy everyone, his podcast with Petzold is structured much better and stays on topic for the most part.

yeah I mean it's just like it's us doing one.  It's hard to be "on".   I've done a couple of videos in a studio at work that gets broadcast and hosted on a national site.  Even with a script that I wrote for the teleprompter, an on a subject I know very well, once that light comes on it's weird.   I mean.... the cost to listen is nothing.  These aren't professionals.  That guy Roger lives very close to me and we have some mutual real life friends.  Small world.  

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Soler off of the board to Giants.  The Giants were supposedly considered a leading team for Chapman.  Does this signing affect their interest in Chapman?  Can the Tigers effectively persuade Chapman into a one year with a vesting option or two year with a player opt out?  I know a lot of folks are interested in Jung being brought up at some point this season, but I'm not sure that is something to count on.  Chapman at 3B is a defensive upgrade over the current situation.  The offense is a question mark, but so is the current situation.  I think at this point, salary wouldn't be too big of a deal for the Tigers.  Its not like they would be bidding at $40M for this season or something ridiculous like that.  But if its a short term deal, offer a way out for Chapman to potentially capitalize on a bounce back season.... why not?

this is where im at as well but everyone seems to think they are all set and wont block something that might happen like Jung being the answer

23 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Cody's cohost has gotten worse. Almost unsubscribe from feed bad.

Not having heard them for a few months now, I’ve been idly wondering how much of the beginning of their podcasts recently are devoted to TayTay. First five minutes? Ten minutes?

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Not having heard them for a few months now, I’ve been idly wondering how much of the beginning of their podcasts recently are devoted to TayTay. First five minutes? Ten minutes?

maybe the first minute ... its usually 50 minutes of the co-host talking and  10 minutes or less of Cody answering or talking about what he did the last week 

would cost $ and their 3rd round pick.

won't happen, but I would offer 1/35M - 30M for 2024, with a player option of 20M for 2025 or a 5M buyout. that way he gets a) 35M for one year (which Boras will brag about as record setting) b) with a guarantee of 50M over 2 years and c) can go into free agency next winter w/o QO

the only Boras guys I can remember getting really shafted are Stephen Drew and Kendrys Morales, who both sat out the same year until July draft to avoid QO,, but usually Boras knows the market better than everyone else.

Edited by RatkoVarda

Soler off of the board to Giants.  The Giants were supposedly considered a leading team for Chapman.  Does this signing affect their interest in Chapman?  Can the Tigers effectively persuade Chapman into a one year with a vesting option or two year with a player opt out?  I know a lot of folks are interested in Jung being brought up at some point this season, but I'm not sure that is something to count on.  Chapman at 3B is a defensive upgrade over the current situation.  The offense is a question mark, but so is the current situation.  I think at this point, salary wouldn't be too big of a deal for the Tigers.  It’s not like they would be bidding at $40M for this season or something ridiculous like that.  But if it’s a short term deal, offer a way out for Chapman to potentially capitalize on a bounce back season.... why not?

Given they have a couple clear internal candidates, I believe the Tigers don’t want to block off third base. Some will disagree.

If the Giants are still interested and theoretically signed him, what's their plan for JD Davis?

I think Chapman will end up in SF for several reasons. Obviously Boras has these guys tied up in wait mode but I would imagine Chapman already has a good sense of where he’s going. I’d be very surprised if Chapman didn’t end up with the Giants. 

41 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Every time I try to listen to any baseball podcast, the hosts spend the first 10 minutes talking about themselves and their boring lives.  Nobody wants to hear that.  Just jump into the content.  

It's like that with many podcasts I am told to listen to.  I don't have the patience for it.