Week Seven: Detroit Lions (5-1) @ Baltimore Ravens (4-2)

MichiganCardinal

3 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

I blame the coaches for this debacle. They were not ready for anything Baltimore had for them on offense or defense. 

The coaches?

Wrong answer.

The Ravens are just a better team. Remember 1991?

We need a few more high-end players to compete at that level. More D. Maybe starters at OG instead of backups.

IMO.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

I watched the first quarter and a half and then needed to head back home.

They didn't look like a clown show at all. At least when I was watching.

They just looked outclassed by a better, more dominant team. A more dominant defense. And a Lamar Jackson that can make something out of nothing when guys are draped all over him. Or run for daylight, and a 1st down (or TD).

Just outclassed. NOT a clown show. IMO.

Goff had two fumbles and an INT with two total turnovers. The offensive line gave up 5 sacks and had multiple penalties. They had 6 yards after the first quarter and it took them three drives to even get a first down. Their defense got shredded on big play after big play. Anzalone and Campbell were rough out there and their secondary was terrible in coverage. This was an ugly loss and a clown show IMO.

Just 1 game but this is the type of game that should bring expectations back down to earth. The Lions are a good team and are on the right track but they're not Superbowl contenders quite yet.

Also, I think it needs to be mentioned that Glenn's defense gets carved up by any good QB they played. I think games against Ridder, Love, Young and Mayfield gave the false impression that this defense is good enough to compete with the big dogs, not to mention the soft schedule that they faced the second half of last year too. They still need an impact player or two on defense and they're still very young at some key spots. 

In the long run, a loss like this might serve them well to see how they bounce back from their first real adversity this year. I'm interested to see how it plays out.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The Broncos are leading 16-3.    If they win this game, then today's loss does not actually hurt too much.  

I don't really compare them against the Packers as much as I do the 49ers and Eagles. Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me as we watch the North devolve into a **** throwing contest.

Steelers: The Ravens receivers had so many drops they lost count.

Colts: Brand new offense for the Ravens and it'll take several games for them to really get the hang of it.

Unlucky for us, their receivers did NOT have the dropsies against the Lions, and they are really figuring out this new offense for Lamar Jackson by now... obviously. And their defense is #2 in the NFL this year, right behind the 49'ers. They are #1 in sacks this year in the NFL. That doesn't change just because they play the Lions. Also, instead of our starting Guards: Vatai and Jonah Jackson, which might have helped on the interior in all phases; we had backups Glasgow and Kayode Awosika (off the Practice Squad!!!)...

Against the #1 pass-rushing and #2 defense in the NFL.

Three guesses on how that's going to turn out...?

One positive from the game:

Gibbs had 68 yards on 11 carries (6.18 ypc) and 58 yards on 9 receptions (6.44 ypr). Now maybe that's padded stats due to the game situation, but it seemed like Gibbs was at least decent.

One negative from the game (beyond the obvious):

image.png.13727634f28e648bd610d0bad8bbb0f5.png

image.png.04e635bdaada77113368ba327bcafd23.png

Yikes.

I didn't watch all of the game so I don't know how much of those missed passes where Jamo's fault. I did see one where Goff's throw was low and outside to Jamo, so at least one I wouldn't blame on him.  Goff did seem to be off for much of the day too.

I didn't watch the second half so maybe they tried then but from what I have seen in the 2 and a half games I watched Jamo is that the Lions are running most of his routes on the sidelines with very few crossing patterns in the middle of the field where I think he would be best utilized.

I think back to the game in Lambeau last year, yeah it was called back but that TD he caught is the exact type of play I figured they would run most of the time with him. Much like KC did with Hill

Idk maybe he has ran routes like that and just wasn't targeted but from what I can remember all his targets have come on the sidelines which I think doesn't play to his strengths.

9 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

His TD last week was deep center. Or at least center-right of the field... not sideline.

I was going to mention that but it wasn't exactly the type of play I was talking about, while not on the sideline it was still targeted from the numbers to the sideline. 

The plays I was talking about are more of the ones between the numbers or hashes, those generally give you the most space to utilize your speed for yac and generally easier to get separation to begin with cause you're not bounded by the sideline. 

15 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I was going to mention that but it wasn't exactly the type of play I was talking about, while not on the sideline it was still targeted from the numbers to the sideline. 

The plays I was talking about are more of the ones between the numbers or hashes, those generally give you the most space to utilize your speed for yac and generally easier to get separation to begin with cause you're not bounded by the sideline. 

It was also a deep play so not what you are asking about, just pointing out it wasn't strictly sideline.

But I definitely agree with you though.

I don't know if it's timing (Jamo is faster than anyone else so Goff has to time his throws faster than normal), or hands (seen several Jamo drops), concentration, or whatever...

But those quick hitters in between the hashmarks with crossing patterns and/or anything else that can free up Jamo... should be allowing for middle of the field explosive plays/ YAC/ etc...

I think this is mostly on Jamo though, from the looks of it. I think the play calling will follow how far Jamo improves: hands/ head/ concentration/ timing/ whatever...

17 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

The coaches?

Wrong answer.

The Ravens are just a better team. Remember 1991?

We need a few more high-end players to compete at that level. More D. Maybe starters at OG instead of backups.

IMO.

You're acting like this is the 2008 Lions that should get blown out by good teams because they didn't stand a chance no matter what they do. The Lions can compete with Baltimore if they were prepared and executed their gameplan. It's on the players of course but this team got outcoached massively.

With that said, they are an impact player or two away from Superbowl contention so I'll agree with you there.