Week Seven: Detroit Lions (5-1) @ Baltimore Ravens (4-2)

MichiganCardinal

A shout out to a very good special team player...Khalil Dorsey. He started the season out with an amazing play on punt coverage. He got blocked near the KC 10 yard line and was knocked on his butt. He quickly got up and was still the 1st Lion to tackle the returner with a sure tackle. I replayed that play several times in amazement. He has made several special team plays...very special. 😊

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I hope I'm wrong but it just feels like it has the makings of a let-down game. Coming with everyone on the bandwagon, people saying we are #1 in the Power Rankings... Going on the road to a good Baltimore team with a very good coach.... Banged up, particularly in the running game.... Abnormal weather is expected...

Almost reminds me of the week between the Jets and Panthers games last season. We've seen that as good as Dan Campbell coached teams are, they are prone to one or two games where they just come out flat (Eagles and Bengals in 2021, Patriots and Panthers in 2022). That dates back even to his days as an interim head coach in Miami (won games 44-26 and 38-10, lost one 36-7).

Again, I hope I'm wrong.

you're gonna have games where everything goes wrong.  happens to everyone but the 72 dolphins.

3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I thought the whole thing was bizarre. Why was ESPN so hyper focused on her to start with? It’s a lose-lose for the Chargers, you’re basically saying “no she wasn’t planted, we just had one rabid fan and that was so out of the norm that it became a story!”

cause its a great meme.

3 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

It is mind blowing going from the butt of every football joke to the blueprint to a winning org in less than a year. I think I heard Justin Fields using this example a few weeks ago as well. 

yeah, i got really sick of hearing every bear and bear fan talking about how they can be just like the lions from last year.

ummm....no.  the lions last year were in close games against good teams and losing at the last second after winning most of the game (for the most part...until new england).  the bears were losing to bad teams like green bay, minnesota without JJ and the team with the worst defense in the league.

denver and chicago are bad.  the lions last year were slowly becoming good.

however, it is nice to see the lions mentioned as the benchmark for success now instead of being the butt of everyone's jokes.

all it took was an actual owner.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I hope I'm wrong but it just feels like it has the makings of a let-down game. Coming with everyone on the bandwagon, people saying we are #1 in the Power Rankings... Going on the road to a good Baltimore team with a very good coach.... Banged up, particularly in the running game.... Abnormal weather is expected...

Almost reminds me of the week between the Jets and Panthers games last season. We've seen that as good as Dan Campbell coached teams are, they are prone to one or two games where they just come out flat (Eagles and Bengals in 2021, Patriots and Panthers in 2022). That dates back even to his days as an interim head coach in Miami (won games 44-26 and 38-10, lost one 36-7).

Again, I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not so much worried about letdown, although its a real phenomenon. We have to be prepared that the good thing is the NFL is taking notice that the Lions are a good team, and the bad thing is the NFL is taking notice that the Lions are a good team.

When you are 5-1 and 13-3 over the last 16, you get publicity and recognition and a fired up opponent (which MCDC says he welcomes) who wants to take you down to show they are better. There's a report out that a Balt. reporter cited Lions as 6-1 in a interview with Lamar Jackson and he noticed. This does not happen when you are 1-6.

I still think we have good talent and can still succeed this new reality, I just can't expect a W every week.

Edited by KnoxP

3 hours ago, sagnam said:

Need Reynolds to play. Gibbs can’t handle a big workload. 

If Reynolds is out I’m expecting the backfield to be Gibbs and Kalif Raymond… I agree that Gibbs can’t be out between the tackles guy too often. If he’s going to the outside and being smart about avoiding too much contact I think his touches can increase a bit from where they were.

Had a manager at TGI Fridays of all places who liked to talk about the beach ball analogy when discussing perception.  if you hold it in place and put it next to your face...it's one color.  If you step back and look at it while turning it slowly, you see it's a lot of colors.  If you spin it really quickly...it's tough to tell what it is.

Judging an offense single play..set of downs..qtr or even half of football is pointless.  Look at the whole game..or season before judging.  Donovan Edwards sucked in the first half against OSU.  Tore them up in the 2nd half and became a fricking legend

19 hours ago, sagnam said:

Need Reynolds to play. Gibbs can’t handle a big workload. 

Ben Johnson has had a full week to figure out a game plan for Baltimore. I'm really not worried about our offense. Look how good Goff played when he lost his running game in the beginning of the game against Tampa. Winning by double digits isn't easy in the NFL, especially on the road.