Week Seven: Detroit Lions (5-1) @ Baltimore Ravens (4-2)

MichiganCardinal

1 hour ago, ben9753 said:

The Lions really are America's team this year. Every YouTube clip of the Lions is filled with comments from other team's fanbases saying they're rooting for the Lions this year. If they make the SB, I think the whole country will be rooting for them. Is somewhat the Underdog story, and I think DC has a lot to do with it also. People love that guy.

I've been saying for a long time that when Dan Campbell makes it to the Super Bowl he will develop a level of crossover mainstream media popularity that even Mike Ditka never enjoyed. 

I'm a little worried about our prospects for this game if we are missing both Gibbs and Montgomery. We got nothing going against Tampa on the ground when Monty left. We made it through the second half without him (thanks in part to our defense holding Tampa to 6 points), but I'm not sure how sustainable a one-dimensional offense is for us. As good as he's been, we probably can't reasonably expect Goff to throw the ball 60 times against the Baltimore pass defense. It's supposed to be a windy weekend in Baltimore too, which won't help. Gusts at game time around 25mph. At full strength, these would be ideal game conditions for our offense. Without our running backs though, it complicates things. We will need to get creative in the screen game or reverse game, getting the ball into the hands of ASB and Jamo any way we can.

The Lions shouldn't have much issue with Gus Edwards or Justice Hill, but Lamar is the most effective mobile QB in the league. If they can manage to contain him, and make it a mano e mano between Goff and Jackson's arms in the short to intermediate game, I like our chances. You probably won't hold them to six points though like you did Tampa.

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'm a little worried about our prospects for this game if we are missing both Gibbs and Montgomery.

injuries that cluster to one position have killed more than one football team. They aren't going to go 16-1 and if they do lose this one it doesn't have terrible downstream implications, as long as they get something back at RB soon. But it will be interesting to see what kind of rabbits Campbell can pull out his hat through. He's proving to be a creative coach so he'll have something cooked up, whether or not it works!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'm a little worried about our prospects for this game if we are missing both Gibbs and Montgomery. We got nothing going against Tampa on the ground when Monty left. We made it through the second half without him (thanks in part to our defense holding Tampa to 6 points), but I'm not sure how sustainable a one-dimensional offense is for us. As good as he's been, we probably can't reasonably expect Goff to throw the ball 60 times against the Baltimore pass defense. It's supposed to be a windy weekend in Baltimore too, which won't help. Gusts at game time around 25mph. At full strength, these would be ideal game conditions for our offense. Without our running backs though, it complicates things. We will need to get creative in the screen game or reverse game, getting the ball into the hands of ASB and Jamo any way we can.

The Lions shouldn't have much issue with Gus Edwards or Justice Hill, but Lamar is the most effective mobile QB in the league. If they can manage to contain him, and make it a mano e mano between Goff and Jackson's arms in the short to intermediate game, I like our chances. You probably won't hold them to six points though like you did Tampa.

Montgomery getting hurt threw our playbook out the window. Johnson will draw up plays to get the ball into whichever playmakers he has available. I'm not worried about our offense. Containing Lamar is a bigger concern. 

11 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Ok, I get that. But think about the KC game. The Chiefs were raising a flag for their Championship and there were 1000s of Lions fans there. We need some conspiracy theories for it to make sense. 😆😆

People are economic. That chiefs opener likely came close to paying for a half of a fans season ticket cost.  Easy game to sell if you’re about the dollar.  Bucs fans doing the same thing.  4-1 vs 3-1, demand goes up and fans realize they can make a profit. Tickets sold. Lions fans have been saving up for decades.

• Haha 1

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/sean-payton-points-to-2022-lions-as-message-to-keep-fighting

The Broncos are 1-5. The season appears to be over.

Coach Sean Payton isn’t ready to throw in the towel. Asked by reporters on Wednesday for the message he would send to Broncos fans, Payton pointed to a team from last year that was in an even worse predicament.

“There’s a fine line here between a groove and a rut,” Payton said. “You take a look, and I’ll give you an example — Detroit. A year ago, I watched it as a media member, covering a handful of tough losses. They were 1-6. I know [coach] Dan [Campbell] well, and you keep fighting. There’s a grit element involved. Some mental toughness that’s involved. Pretty soon, here they are at the end of the season. They were eliminated before [they played their final game], but they were in contention. Here they are now as one of those teams. We’re kind of in that position. We’re bowing up, and we have to.”

Teams that are struggling keep trying to turn it around. The turnaround often is just one game away.

For the Broncos, the first opportunity comes on Sunday, when the Packers come to town. And it will be important to avoid falling to 1-6, because the next game on the docket is a visit from the Chiefs.

On 10/18/2023 at 2:57 AM, lordstanley said:

Lots of reasonably priced tickets for the game against the LA Chargers after the bye week. No one in LA even likes the Chargers, do they? It should draw Lions fans who live in southern California or Arizona or Vegas.

Opposing fanbases always invade the L.A. teams stadiums even going back to the 80s/90s. With how well Lions fans travel, I expect it to sound very much like Cowboys-Chargers did on Monday Night with it being 50/50 basically.

3 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Opposing fanbases always invade the L.A. teams stadiums even going back to the 80s/90s. With how well Lions fans travel, I expect it to sound very much like Cowboys-Chargers did on Monday Night with it being 50/50 basically.

You know it’s bad when they show an enthusiastic fan in your home stadium and are immediately accused by half of social media that she was planted by the NFL.

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

You know it’s bad when they show an enthusiastic fan in your home stadium and are immediately accused by half of social media that she was planted by the NFL.

It did almost look like manufactured enthusiasm....until I saw her on the McAfee Show (she was surprisingly cute) and it looked like the enthusiasm was genuine but who knows nowadays.

4 minutes ago, NYLion said:

It did almost look like manufactured enthusiasm....until I saw her on the McAfee Show (she was surprisingly cute) and it looked like the enthusiasm was genuine but who knows nowadays.

I thought the whole thing was bizarre. Why was ESPN so hyper focused on her to start with? It’s a lose-lose for the Chargers, you’re basically saying “no she wasn’t planted, we just had one rabid fan and that was so out of the norm that it became a story!”

1 hour ago, Cruzer1 said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/sean-payton-points-to-2022-lions-as-message-to-keep-fighting

The Broncos are 1-5. The season appears to be over.

Coach Sean Payton isn’t ready to throw in the towel. Asked by reporters on Wednesday for the message he would send to Broncos fans, Payton pointed to a team from last year that was in an even worse predicament.

“There’s a fine line here between a groove and a rut,” Payton said. “You take a look, and I’ll give you an example — Detroit. A year ago, I watched it as a media member, covering a handful of tough losses. They were 1-6. I know [coach] Dan [Campbell] well, and you keep fighting. There’s a grit element involved. Some mental toughness that’s involved. Pretty soon, here they are at the end of the season. They were eliminated before [they played their final game], but they were in contention. Here they are now as one of those teams. We’re kind of in that position. We’re bowing up, and we have to.”

Teams that are struggling keep trying to turn it around. The turnaround often is just one game away.

For the Broncos, the first opportunity comes on Sunday, when the Packers come to town. And it will be important to avoid falling to 1-6, because the next game on the docket is a visit from the Chiefs.

It is mind blowing going from the butt of every football joke to the blueprint to a winning org in less than a year. I think I heard Justin Fields using this example a few weeks ago as well. 

Our defense has been playing great lately. Thank you Aaron Glenn for that. I think we will shutdown their run game and box in Lamar Jackson making him throw the ball more than he'll want to. We held Patrick Mahomes to 6 rushing attempts and 45 yards with 0 rushing TDs. Mahomes had 1 long-ish run of 16 yards and that was it. Our run defense has been even better since then. I think if we can contain Lamar, box him in from getting to the outside, and make him one-dimensional by trying to beat us through the air we will win this thing.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I thought the whole thing was bizarre. Why was ESPN so hyper focused on her to start with? It’s a lose-lose for the Chargers, you’re basically saying “no she wasn’t planted, we just had one rabid fan and that was so out of the norm that it became a story!”

It was bizarre but I don't know what they'd have to gain by showcasing her. It's not like the NFL is ratings starved and/or that it was a boring matchup that would draw eyes away from the game. Bizarre indeed.

Either way, she seemed like a cool lady if you want to listen to the McAfee interview. Somewhat hyper but I kind of like that in a woman personally.

Edited by NYLion

Taylor Swift starts dating NFL star Travis Kelce just before the start of the session when she has a major concert tour and movie to promote and he has a… ahem… multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical to promote. But the NFL would never plant a story. 😊

I hope I'm wrong but it just feels like it has the makings of a let-down game. Coming with everyone on the bandwagon, people saying we are #1 in the Power Rankings... Going on the road to a good Baltimore team with a very good coach.... Banged up, particularly in the running game.... Abnormal weather is expected...

Almost reminds me of the week between the Jets and Panthers games last season. We've seen that as good as Dan Campbell coached teams are, they are prone to one or two games where they just come out flat (Eagles and Bengals in 2021, Patriots and Panthers in 2022). That dates back even to his days as an interim head coach in Miami (won games 44-26 and 38-10, lost one 36-7).

Again, I hope I'm wrong.

I think there is a good chance they lose this one just cause Baltimore is a really good team and its hard to beat those teams at their place consistently, you are likely going to lose atleast a couple games like that throughout the season no matter how good you are and I have a feeling this may be one of those ones for the Lions. 

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Our defense has been playing great lately. Thank you Aaron Glenn for that. I think we will shutdown their run game and box in Lamar Jackson making him throw the ball more than he'll want to. We held Patrick Mahomes to 6 rushing attempts and 45 yards with 0 rushing TDs. Mahomes had 1 long-ish run of 16 yards and that was it. Our run defense has been even better since then. I think if we can contain Lamar, box him in from getting to the outside, and make him one-dimensional by trying to beat us through the air we will win this thing.

I agree. And it's kind of amazing that on offense, Goff performed so well after losing any possibility of a run game. Usually, one dimensional offenses are easier to stop. Huge props to our O-line and receivers for running great routes. And hats off to Goff for his excellent play. Go ahead, underestimate the Lions. ☺️

31 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think there is a good chance they lose this one just cause Baltimore is a really good team and its hard to beat those teams at their place consistently, you are likely going to lose atleast a couple games like that throughout the season no matter how good you are and I have a feeling this may be one of those ones for the Lions. 

The SOL would win in Baltimore and then lose to the Raiders and Bears. This IS NOT the SOL, they may lose to a good team on the road but then come out and destroy the next opponent. If I were a Raider fan, I would be rooting for the Lions. Otherwise, we'll take out our frustrations on them. Look what we did to a bad Panther team after we lost to Seattle. It was a beat down!

52 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I hope I'm wrong but it just feels like it has the makings of a let-down game. Coming with everyone on the bandwagon, people saying we are #1 in the Power Rankings... Going on the road to a good Baltimore team with a very good coach.... Banged up, particularly in the running game.... Abnormal weather is expected...

Almost reminds me of the week between the Jets and Panthers games last season. We've seen that as good as Dan Campbell coached teams are, they are prone to one or two games where they just come out flat (Eagles and Bengals in 2021, Patriots and Panthers in 2022). That dates back even to his days as an interim head coach in Miami (won games 44-26 and 38-10, lost one 36-7).

Again, I hope I'm wrong.

They won the Jets game and the Panthers game was a complete one-off likely because of the frigid field. Actually, I misunderstoofd, you were talking about the week leading up to the Panthers game not the Jets game itself.

I don't think we have to worry about the Lions letting down, I don't see that happening with a Dan Campbell coached team, it's possible that they could just get beat by a good team in a tough road game. The Lions have also had nightmares containing running QBs so I think this is a bad matchup stylistically. The Lions are due for a loss and this could very well be the week but it won't be because they took the game lightly or got too full of themselves from reading press clippings, I guarantee that.

Edited by NYLion

It's not likely this stuff is going to the players' heads - they seem pretty grounded, but I'm guessing all the excessive hype and ogling is starting to wear on everyone else around the country