THE GAME #119: #2 Ohio State Buckeyes (11-0) @ #3 Michigan Wolverines (11-0)

MichiganCardinal

28 minutes ago, buddha said:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/skull-sessions/2023/11/143357/gameday-skull-session-get-dumped-then-team-up-north

michigan fans, please treat yourself to eleven warriors today.  schadefreude is a dish best served cold with a side of buckeyes.

once again, they talk the talk and lose the game.  how sweet it is.

The posters there are not very good at spelling. 

50 minutes ago, buddha said:

why?  osu lost one game on the road against the #2 team in the country.  that's a "better loss" than any other team in college football has.

the conference championship games got them in last year and could get them in again easily.  its why losses in the conference championship game shouldnt count, imo.

36 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If you have 4 undefeated teams from Power 5 conferences, then those 4 teams are your playoffs.    Period.   Sorry.   If you want arguments, you'll get them if you have 5 undefeated teams.  

As of now, there are 4 undefeated teams, though Georgia and FSU are in close games.   Don't care that Washington almost lost, they didn't lose.    

If Georgia loses, things get crazy.  Then I think it's very likely that the Georgia-Alabama team gets in.    If Georgia and Florida State lose, then OSU is in.     Michigan still has to beat Iowa and Washington has a very tough game against Oregon.   There is the possibility, though slim, we end up with NO undefeated teams after championship week.  

The 12 team playoff will settle much nonsense, but teams 13 & 14 will complain. 

Michigan has to win it all this year - right now - so we can experience the glory because if that happens, the University of Vacated is going to get another title, but nobody cares about the past.    The NCAA is going to absolutely hammer Michigan next year. 

I think the conference champions will always have priority, and I think the best one-loss 12-game team(s) have a hefty burden to overcome any one-loss team that plays 13 games. Right now, we have undefeated teams in the B1G, SEC, Pac-12, and ACC, and a one-loss team in the Big 12. I don't think we will see chalk into the semis, but last year Ohio State only needed USC to lose to Utah. They need more this year.

Going with the presumption that Georgia beats Georgia Tech tonight, if they lose the SECCG, Alabama replaces them in the CFP. If anything, an Alabama win probably hurts Ohio State because Georgia's one-loss resume would be better than Ohio State's.

If Michigan loses, one-loss Ohio State won't get in before one-loss Michigan.

If Washington loses, Oregon is in as the one-loss PAC champion. One-loss Washington versus one-loss Ohio State for #4 would be very tight and could go either way. Washington, playing an extra game, would have split with (then #3) Oregon and beat Arizona and Oregon State. Ohio State would have lost once to #2 Michigan, along with wins over Notre Dame and Penn State.

If Florida State loses, it opens the door to the Big 12 and a one-loss Texas. A one-loss FSU versus a one-loss Ohio State will generate controversy, but this is probably a discussion Ohio State wins, if only because FSU has lost their QB for the year.

The way I see it, Ohio State needs Georgia to beat Alabama, Michigan to beat Iowa, Washington to beat Oregon (probably), FSU to lose (preferably tonight to a lesser opponent), and Texas to lose to Oklahoma State. If each of those happen you're looking at (1) Georgia, (2) Michigan, (3) Washington, (4) Ohio State... It's not impossible, but it's definitely more than expecting USC to lose to Utah again.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

2 minutes ago, sagnam said:

image.png

I remember the immediacy of that Michigan-MSU game from 2021. We should have won that game too. People were pissed we didn't, and pretty much everyone thought we were well on the way to a James Franklin classic 10-2 season and another NY6 game. I think everyone would be pretty okay with where we are at now instead.

7 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Sometimes you just need not bother posting. Even you can't take away from a huge win.

Dude, moores calls at the end were atrocious.  They were Ryan day calls.  Thrilled me won, but that wasn’t a championship mindset. 3 runs up the middle for 4 yards and a field goal.  

Even when Michigan lost by giving up more than 50 points to OSU two games in a row, I don't recall the need for police to guard Harbaugh's house.      Ryan Day needed a police detail at his home last year, and he probably will again. 

Hey, troglodytes in Ohio,  it's just a ****ing silly football game.    Just go cry in your beer and go hit a wall or something.  

I don't think I am wrong here in suggesting that those who make death threats on someone - should face some sort of legal penalty, either a night or two in jail or a serious fine.   It's not funny.  They guy has a family, for crying out loud.  

6 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Alabama beats Georgia

or 

Florida State (3rd string QB) loses to Louisville

or 

Oregon beats Washington  (that's a toss-up game)

- any of those three happens and the door is open.   Two of those things happen and OSU is in.  

If bama and Oregon win, let’s say.  FSU wins.  Michigan, FSU, Oregon, bama in.  

Heck, if all 3 lose. You have 1 loss bama; Georgia, Texas, Washington, FSU and Ohio state.

It’s Michigan, Bama, Oregon and Georgia. Maybe Texas for one of them.  Ohio state is last in line. Eye test they were the worst of the one loss teams.

There is zero path for Ohio state.  

Edited by TP_Fan

11 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Alabama beats Georgia

or 

or 

- any of those three happens and the door is open.   Two of those things happen and OSU is in.  

If Bama beats Georgia than Bama and Georgia are both in. No way the committee takes OSU over either the 1 loss SEC Champ Bama or the two time defending National Champion 1 loss Georgia team.

The only way OSU gets in is if FSU loses, Texas loses, UGA wins, UM wins AND possibly Washington win or a decisive Oregon victory. If it's a close Oregon win then it would be hard to take OSU over Washington who atleast made it to their conference championship game while playing in the tougher conference throughout the season and having just as many quality wins as them. Basically they can't afford the chance at 2 PAC or 2 SEC teams getting in which Washington and UGA losses would possibly open up the door for.

Edited by RandyMarsh

27 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Alabama beats Georgia

or 

or 

How does Alabama beating Georgia make it more likely that Ohio State is in?  If Georgia falls out of the playoffs due to losing the SEC Championship, that puts Alabama in.  If you're saying they would put 1 loss Ohio State in over the 1 loss SEC champs, that's just crazy. 

8 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Reminds me of game 4 of the 1997 Stanley Cup when Ken Kal invited Bruce Martyn into the booth to call some Cup clinching hockey.  Impressive generosity there...

Bruce did a great job that 2nd period, but he always felt bad he mixed up the defenseman's name on the big McCarty goal. It's like going to the symphony and the concert pianist makes one wrong note that everyone but himself barely notices.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I remember the immediacy of that Michigan-MSU game from 2021. We should have won that game too. People were pissed we didn't, and pretty much everyone thought we were well on the way to a James Franklin classic 10-2 season and another NY6 game. I think everyone would be pretty okay with where we are at now instead.

I was as excited and full of hope and optimism as anyone when Harbaugh first came to Michigan. Then after 5 years of no wins over Ohio State, multiple blowouts against the Buckeyes, a losing record to MSU, no conference championships, a terrible bowl record, no CFB playoff appearances, a seeming unwillingness or inability to develop his own QB, keeping Don Brown around for 3 years too long, etc. all chipped away at my faith in the man.

When we lost that 2021 game to State I wanted Harbaugh fired after that loss in East Lansing. I was posting here, telling friends, calling into 97.1 begging for Michigan to fire what I thought was a bum of a head coach. I literally wanted him left off the team bus and forced to get his own ride home back to Ann Arbor. I wanted a press conference announcing his firing one week and the hiring of Luke Fickell the next. 

Turns out, I was wrong about Jim Harbaugh. He did indeed turn it around in a very meaningful and impactful way. He rebuilt this program into a powerhouse and is potential on his way to a third straight CFB playoff. Thank you for turning it around Jim and for proving me wrong.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

Dude, moores calls at the end were atrocious.  They were Ryan day calls.  Thrilled me won, but that wasn’t a championship mindset. 3 runs up the middle for 4 yards and a field goal.  

I can only imagine how many posts you would have made screaming bloody murder if they would have thrown an incomplete pass that stopped the clock. Or thrown a pick. It's pretty obvious you really don't know anything about football so just stop criticizing every play you don't agree with and act like the sky is falling. Several posts about how Michigan is now going to lose because of the play call you dont approve of proves my point. They won despite your objections. Moore isn't fired. Every point you make is totally off base. Your bull**** has gotten old and stale.