HOF Ballots

CMRivdogs

16 minutes ago, oblong said:

MLB’s actions against willie mays and Mickey mantle certainly look stupid now. 

I’m only 48 and already feel behind the times with crypto, NFT’s, gambling, and pot all being big only legal but mainstreamed.  I’m not into any of it. 

I'm still not sure what crypto is and why it has become such a big deal. I've read about it in a few different places and I don't really get it.  

Getting mad at Bonds and Clemens for PEDs is like getting mad at Amazon.  Amazon is doing the same crappy stuff other companies do and we are supposed to get upset because they are better at it.  Same with Bonds and Clemens.  All the players  were talking PEDs and this was known long before Bonds broke records.   

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Getting mad at Bonds and Clemens for PEDs is like getting mad at Amazon.  Amazon is doing the same crappy stuff other companies do and we are supposed to get upset because they are better at it.  Same with Bonds and Clemens.  All the players  were talking PEDs and this was known long before Bonds broke records.   

I love Amazon. Bonds and Clemons not so much. 

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

Fans of crypto will insist that it's the future of money and transactions, but as far as I'm concerned, as long as everybody only trades it and nobody ever spends it, crypto is basically tulips in 1636.

crypto is a contradiction in terms. The concept was take control away from any central bank's ability to manipulate it, and you can insure a stable store of value, but in practice it turns out that un-tethered from anyone trying to control its value, it becomes the ultimate speculation with no price stability whatever. Which means it can never  realize any potential as an actual substitute currency. Ergo - it's just a high priced video game and haven for the black economy.

Edited by gehringer_2

23 hours ago, chasfh said:

What about all the other players who were declared permanently ineligible because they gambled on a game in which they had a duty to perform? Should they all be reinstated back into the game? Or just Pete?

If they are good enough to be in the HOF then they should be eligible in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

How about Clemens and Bonds?  

Since other people who have used steroids have been enshrined in the HOF then they should be in too.  Since the beginning of sports I believe players have been using things that was supposed to enhance their abilities.  Steroids were the most obvious and many from that era used them.  How do you let some in and not others especially a couple of the very best from that time?

21 hours ago, Archie said:

If they are good enough to be in the HOF then they should be eligible in my opinion.

Pete can't make the Hall of Fame without being reinstated by Baseball, so would you want to see all players who have ever been declared permanently ineligible for gambling reinstated as well? Or only Pete?

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Pete can't make the Hall of Fame without being reinstated by Baseball, so would you want to see all players who have ever been declared permanently ineligible for gambling reinstated as well? Or only Pete?

It all depends on what they gambled on. Rose is a different case because hes one of the greatest ever in my opinion.  I feel the HOF is missing something without him.  

8 minutes ago, Archie said:

It all depends on what they gambled on.  

They gambled on a game in which they have a duty to perform. That's the basis for being declared permanently ineligible.

8 minutes ago, Archie said:

Rose is a different case because hes one of the greatest ever in my opinion.  I feel the HOF is missing something without him.  

Are you saying that Rose deserves a pass on gambling in-game because he's good at baseball?

On 11/27/2021 at 4:51 PM, Tiger337 said:

I'm still not sure what crypto is and why it has become such a big deal. I've read about it in a few different places and I don't really get it.  

My crypto wallet agrees with you.  I have dabbled..maybe a couple grand total over the past 5-6 years and while the actual purpose of crypto now is nothing more than what you say...I am hopeful my grandkids or maybe great grandkids can profit from my investing in it now.  I do think some form of crypto will be the main stream "money" of the future, but not the immediate future...more like in 50 years or something.

20 minutes ago, Archie said:

It all depends on what they gambled on. Rose is a different case because hes one of the greatest ever in my opinion.  I feel the HOF is missing something without him.  

Baseball made it very clear for a long time that any kind of gambling in the game was strictly prohibited.  Players didn't get to choose what kind of gambling they could do.  It was all wrong...

Until MLB figured out that it was profitable.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Baseball made it very clear for a long time that any kind of gambling in the game was strictly prohibited.  Players didn't get to choose what kind of gambling they could do.  It was all wrong...

It's specifically called out in the clubhouse.  it's not just a general "this is wrong so don't do it".  It's unique in that regard.  And Pete said "Ok, you got me.  I agree on a permanent ban if you don't investigate further or announce anything that you have already found".

Case closed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

until the supreme court changed the law.  after that, all sports league have joined almost every sports league in the rest of the world in recognizing that gambling exists and using that to make money for their businesses.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

until the supreme court changed the law.  after that, all sports league have joined almost every sports league in the rest of the world in recognizing that gambling exists and using that to make money for their businesses.

Another change in law to benefit the wealthy!  Gambling will be our new addiction epidemic.  

50 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Dick Allen got screwed again.  Gil Hodges gets in there.  Dick Allen had 11 consecutive seasons with an OPS+ of 145 or better.  Hodges never had an OPS+ as high of 145.  Minoso deserved it.  Oliva and Kaat are borderline but probably don't deserve it.  

Jim Kaat?!? Hall of Famer?

Crazy

45 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Dick Allen got screwed again.  Gil Hodges gets in there.  Dick Allen had 11 consecutive seasons with an OPS+ of 145 or better.  Hodges never had an OPS+ as high of 145.  Minoso deserved it.  Oliva and Kaat are borderline but probably don't deserve it.  

I remember Oliva as a really high profile player in his day, so at least from the 'fame' part I have no complaint. It's tough to look back at the guys from the pitcher era and decide who 'deserves' it given the statistical compression between the good and great players of that era. But he didn't play long enough to do anything on the counting stat end so I don't know by what logic he goes in and Freehan is still out.