Week Seventeen: Detroit Lions (11-4) @ Dallas Cowboys (10-5)

MichiganCardinal

LIONSLOGOGDT.png.10302bebdd393e2bbfa7d8d85f3d40ba.png          vs.          cowboyslogo.png.5d6c0852a1e0e51fbbf9d06b96585340.png

Setting: 12/30/2023 8:15pm EST on ESPN & ABC

Site: AT&T Stadium in Arlington, TX

Weather: Climate Controlled

Opening Spread: Cowboys -5.5

All-Time Series Record: Cowboys lead, 18-12

Last Meeting: 10/23/2022, Cowboys won 24-6

Dallas Cowboys (10-5)

Head Coach: Mike McCarthy (17th Season: 165-102-2)

Projected Starting QB: Dak Prescott (8th Season: 71-41)

Last Week: 22-20 L @ Miami Dolphins (11-4)

Looking Ahead to Week #18: TBD @ Washington Commanders (4-11)

cowboysgdt2.thumb.jpg.0cd0ff52eae678552c808987a28e5d80.jpg

Your Detroit Lions (11-4)

Head Coach: Dan Campbell (3rd Season: 23-25-1)

Projected Starting QB: Jared Goff (8th Season: 65-49-1)

Last Week: 30-24 W @ Minnesota Vikings (7-8)

Looking Ahead to Week #18: TBD v. Minnesota Vikings (7-8)

lionscowboysgdt.thumb.jpeg.233586a67d3bd04b8945407668dde43b.jpeg

Elsewhere in the NFL

Primetime: Jets @ Browns (TNF), Packers @ Vikings (SNF)

1:00pm: Dolphins @ Ravens, Patriots @ Bills, Falcons @ Bears, Titans @ Texans, Raiders @ Colts, Panthers @ Jaguars, Rams @ Giants, Cardinals @ Eagles, Saints @ Buccaneers, 49ers @ Commanders

4:05/4:25pm: Steelers @ Seahawks, Chargers @ Broncos, Bengals @ Chiefs

newyeargdt.jpeg.f6e66ff5f821d79a64475bace4a7ce34.jpeg

I'm a little surprised by the line. Started at Cowboys -5.5 and has increased to -6.0. The Lions have a better record and haven't lost a game outside their own division in over two months... It's a bit of a stretch analytically, but the Lions haven't lost a road game played indoors since October 2022 (against the Cowboys actually). Cowboys are reeling having lost two straight and seem poised for their late season collapse in typical Cowboys fashion.

I know they're always tough at home, but Vegas is begging the public to take Detroit and the points.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'm a little surprised by the line. Started at Cowboys -5.5 and has increased to -6.0. The Lions have a better record and haven't lost a game outside their own division in over two months... It's a bit of a stretch analytically, but the Lions haven't lost a road game played indoors since October 2022 (against the Cowboys actually). Cowboys are reeling having lost two straight and seem poised for their late season collapse in typical Cowboys fashion.

I know they're always tough at home, but Vegas is begging the public to take Detroit and the points.

cowboys have been really really good at home.  theyve scored over 30 points in every home game this year, including 30 on the jets, 38 on the pats, 43 on the rams, 41 on the seahawks, and 33 on the eagles.

some of that was their defense in those games but its still pretty impressive.

theyre a totally different team at home.

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

cowboys have been really really good at home.  theyve scored over 30 points in every home game this year, including 30 on the jets, 38 on the pats, 43 on the rams, 41 on the seahawks, and 33 on the eagles.

some of that was their defense in those games but its still pretty impressive.

theyre a totally different team at home.

I expected the Cowboys to be favored at home, I'm just surprised they are a full touchdown favorite. I would have expected it closer to -3 or -3.5... If it holds, it would be the first time we are 6+ point underdogs since we played the Bills on Thanksgiving last year.

A full 9 of the LIons' 15 games this year have been except teams that are 8-7 (Tampa, Seattle) or 7-8 (Minnesota, Green Bay x2, Atlanta, New Orleans, Las Vegas, Denver). They're 7-2 in those 9 games.

The other 6 games have been wins against KC (9-6), Carolina (2-13) and LA Chargers (5-10) and a loss against Baltimore (12-3) and a W-L split with Chicago (6-9). 

I think 6 is pretty fair when you factor in how the Cowboys play at home and the Lions coming off a huge divisional clinching win. After something like that it's hard to get back up for the next game when it's not really a must win. Yeah it's important for seeding but not a huge deal win or lose, Dallas certainly needs this win more than we do. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Thanks 1

The thing about this game is that while I obviously want to win it a loss wouldn't be all that bad for the Lions cause I'd prefer Dallas get the 2 seed over Philly anyway. Even though Dallas plays great at home the Lions also play much better indoors vs. potentially nasty weather in Philly. 

Also I think Philly would have a better chance of upsetting SF in the 2nd round than Dallas which if everything plays out right could mean the Lions host a playoff game, play an indoor road game at Dallas, and then host the championship game. 

As long as we don't embarrass ourselves or most importantly get hurt this game is almost a no lose situation in my eyes. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Thanks 1

On 12/25/2023 at 7:40 PM, Sports_Freak said:

Exactly. A loss almost guarantees them being the 3rd seed. Maybe we'll see Teddy against Minnesota? Let him play in his last NFL game.

I think it is guaranteed if they lose. Fair to give Teddy some minutes in his final game but they have to give Hooker a quarter or two to at see something out of him. Hopefully they win this week and make next week meaningful.

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm sure if/when it gets to this point I will change my views and be solely focused on winning but as of right now I really would be content just putting on a good competitive game and of course not suffering any major injuries. 

I firmly believe that it is more important we stay healthy than we get any particular seed.

A 3-seed Lions team that is fully healthy could go to the Super Bowl. A 1-seed Lions team with a depleted offensive line will likely be one-and-done.

18 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

Feels like this is one they will win. Lions can play loose, everyone expects them to lose. Go score early and make Dallas play from behind.  

Uhhhh...Dallas doesn't lose at home. This will be another game for everyone to see that. I just hope the Lions can keep the score respectable and don't have any injuries.