Week Seventeen: Detroit Lions (11-4) @ Dallas Cowboys (10-5)

MichiganCardinal

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I see no reason why Sheila can't hire her own private investigator and retain legal counsel to investigate the actions of Brad Allen and ensure he's not another Tim Donaghy. It would be a great way to publicly embarrass and humiliate Goodell and the league by having one of your own franchises and ownership groups launching a public investigation into the leagues handling of the situation and into the referee who made the call.

come on, man.  you listen to too much valenti.

calling out an old boys network and telling jerry jones to **** himself is one thing, hiring a private investogator and calling the integrity if the league - and your multi-billion dollar product - into question is beyond stupid and will never ever ****ing happen.

i expect this from mcs when he's high, but you?  come on.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, KL2 said:

Full time officials do what to solve the problem?

The hope is that they would have more time to studying the rule book and more time training by looking at film. Maybe there would be more time they could spend with teams off season or between games so that more communication can happen.

Whether that happens or not is obviously a big question mark, but officiating is just a part-time gig and most or all of these officials are normal M-F jobs, that does mean they'll have less time to focus on officiating.

the refs will always make mistakes (especially in dallas).  i would like more of an acknowledgement from the league that those mistakes happened instead of a cover up routine to make me disbelieve my own eyes.

I still see people suggesting that the game was rigged or that Allen deliberately screwed the Lions and I just refuse to believe that. I think he just made a stupid mistake, if he really wanted to screw the Lions he could've called some questionable holding penalty or something during the drive.

I mean on basically every play a lineman does something that could be called a hold it's just a matter of whether the refs call it or not so I'm sure there were play(s) at some point in the drive he could've called if he truly wanted to screw the Lions. 

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I still see people suggesting that the game was rigged or that Allen deliberately screwed the Lions and I just refuse to believe that. I think he just made a stupid mistake, if he really wanted to screw the Lions he could've called some questionable holding penalty or something during the drive.

I mean on basically every play a lineman does something that could be called a hold it's just a matter of whether the refs call it or not so I'm sure there were play(s) at some point in the drive he could've called if he truly wanted to screw the Lions. 

I mean, he did fail to call the obvious pass interference on St Brown during that drive. I just think he was incompetent. 

15 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Is there an argument to be made that their work as an accountant or a lawyer or a teacher detracts from their performance as an official? Maybe, but I'm not sure I see the connection. At the end of the day, my performance at work should be evaluated by my supervisor on the basis of my performance at work. Not "yeah but maybe you could do better if you didn't do other things where you're not here"... It would feel weird to have an employer tell me due to a change in policy, I can't play an instrument in a band, or collect and sell knick knacks, or whatever, off the clock... For the record I do neither of those things... If I did though, I'd probably feel like those things make me a better employee, not worse, and I'm sure NFL officials feel the same about their "other" jobs... Not to mention I'm just not sure what they would do year-round that they're not already doing in terms of preparation for games.

I think it's more that the NFL isn't paying them enough to NOT have to work another job. I obviously have zero inside information here, I don't know how much they pay or whatever... but I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of this:

The employer only needs you to work from January to July and only pays you for those months. They don't pay you as much as you'd like to have year round, so you get another job from August thru December. During that Aug-Dec time you're getting out of practice of your Jan-Jul job... you're forgetting details, you're not remembering all the steps you used to take to complete the job... then you come back in January and have to spend part of the time re-learning the old job as well as learning any new twists.

What the employer should do to get the most out of you is pay your year round and during the Aug-Dec you can be reviewing last year's work, making suggestions for improvements, talking with clients to get a good understanding of what they want, learning the new stuff before January, doing some practice runs in December and be 100% ready to go in January. You'll be a much more productive and accurate employee this way (in theory).

The obvious downside here is that the employer has to pay you for 12 months instead of 7. The employer may not see that as cost beneficial... the added cost of those other 5 months doesn't produce enough better of an employee to make it worth it. BUT: Your clients are complaining to the employer that you're not doing a very good job and could using more training and practice. If the employer is a pretty hard successful company and could pretty easily afford to pay you year round and make the clients happier... it seems like the employer is just a cheap bastard.

14 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I also don't think it was deliberate. I do think it's possible a ref is biased and just leans toward more calls against one team vs. another... but I don't even know if that's happening here. I do think it was just a mistake like many others but happened at the worst possible time and means it was majorly highlighted both in this game and across the sporting world.

It reminds me of that one play where (I think) Favre fell down and was sacked by someone which lead to a new sack record. People were chirping that Favre intentionally went down to allow the sack because he was buddies with the guy who sacked him. If that same play happened in any other game at any other time in the season and no one would think the QB intentionally tried to get sacked. But because it was for the sack record it was on center staged and picked apart and examined 10 ways from Sunday.

13 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I think it's more that the NFL isn't paying them enough to NOT have to work another job. I obviously have zero inside information here, I don't know how much they pay or whatever... but I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of this:

The employer only needs you to work from January to July and only pays you for those months. They don't pay you as much as you'd like to have year round, so you get another job from August thru December. During that Aug-Dec time you're getting out of practice of your Jan-Jul job... you're forgetting details, you're not remembering all the steps you used to take to complete the job... then you come back in January and have to spend part of the time re-learning the old job as well as learning any new twists.

What the employer should do to get the most out of you is pay your year round and during the Aug-Dec you can be reviewing last year's work, making suggestions for improvements, talking with clients to get a good understanding of what they want, learning the new stuff before January, doing some practice runs in December and be 100% ready to go in January. You'll be a much more productive and accurate employee this way (in theory).

The obvious downside here is that the employer has to pay you for 12 months instead of 7. The employer may not see that as cost beneficial... the added cost of those other 5 months doesn't produce enough better of an employee to make it worth it. BUT: Your clients are complaining to the employer that you're not doing a very good job and could using more training and practice. If the employer is a pretty hard successful company and could pretty easily afford to pay you year round and make the clients happier... it seems like the employer is just a cheap bastard.

The average salary is $205k. 
for comparison, mlb umpires make between $150k and $450k and have 9-10 times as many games 

Edited by 4hzglory

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Ya know for all the talk from the league blaming the Lions, even the video they put out, said "You have to stand in front of the ref, gesture to your number, and report."  Of the 2 lineman in question, only one did that.  Taylor Decker. 

• Thanks 2

On 1/5/2024 at 11:29 AM, RedRamage said:

The hope is that they would have more time to studying the rule book and more time training by looking at film. Maybe there would be more time they could spend with teams off season or between games so that more communication can happen.

Whether that happens or not is obviously a big question mark, but officiating is just a part-time gig and most or all of these officials are normal M-F jobs, that does mean they'll have less time to focus on officiating.

That is like thinking from 20 years ago.

The average ref pay is 200k these guys aren't working m-f jobs anymore. They might work a day or two but it's just to fill time, they aren't doing it to live.

And lol some 54 year old guy is gonna sit there on Monday and Tuesday studying the rule book.

As I said full time officials does nothing to solve the problem. This isn't 25 years ago where Ed hochl is selling insurance till Friday. 

The only thing that would help is accountability, not hiding behind they do no wrong.

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

That is like thinking from 20 years ago.

The average ref pay is 200k these guys aren't working m-f jobs anymore. They might work a day or two but it's just to fill time, they aren't doing it to live.

And lol some 54 year old guy is gonna sit there on Monday and Tuesday studying the rule book.

As I said full time officials does nothing to solve the problem. This isn't 25 years ago where Ed hochl is selling insurance till Friday. 

The only thing that would help is accountability, not hiding behind they do no wrong.

ed hochuli is a defense attorney in phoenix.  lots of carriers use his firm.  i saw him once at a convention and he is HUGE!  dude looked like the hulk.  he was walking around waiting for someone to notice him.

and yes, he was practicing while reffing on the weekends.  

i dont think it makes a difference if theyre full time or not.  they only play games on the weekends, its not like mlb or the nba where they play multiple times a week and need full time officials.

human error by the refs is part of the game.  however, the league and refs should be accountable for their mistakes, which is not what happened here.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...