Week Seventeen: Detroit Lions (11-4) @ Dallas Cowboys (10-5)

MichiganCardinal

3 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Cowboys have a realistic shot of getting the 2 seed. The Lions may have to go back to Dallas in the playoffs.

The redemption arc for the Lions. Wildcard against Seattle at Ford Field, Divisional Round against Dallas in Jerry World, NFCCG against the Rams and Matt Stafford in Ford Field. Super Bowl against Baltimore.

Beating a dead horse, maybe, but a full 28 seconds of celebration before we are notified of the flag! Not sure when they actually threw it, but presumably just a few seconds before. I already hate that when a goalie is scored or a runner is tagged out or a TD is scored I now need to wait a few seconds for challenges or flags. But 28 seconds?!?!  This further proves to me that Ryan was confused and is now lying. If telling the truth and he grasped what was going on, he would have thrown the flag a second after Decker caught it. 

14 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Beating a dead horse, maybe, but a full 28 seconds of celebration before we are notified of the flag! Not sure when they actually threw it, but presumably just a few seconds before. I already hate that when a goalie is scored or a runner is tagged out or a TD is scored I now need to wait a few seconds for challenges or flags. But 28 seconds?!?!  This further proves to me that Ryan was confused and is now lying. If telling the truth and he grasped what was going on, he would have thrown the flag a second after Decker caught it. 

Just in case you needed anymore proof that the guy was confused and making stuff up... from the pool report:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2023/12/31/detroit-lions-taylor-decker-flagged-on-2-point-play-referee-brad-allen-explains/72071503007/

Why was there a penalty called on the two-point conversion for an illegal touch?

“So, we had a situation where if you were going to have an ineligible number occupy an eligible position, you have to report that to the referee. On this particular play, No. 70, who had reported during the game a couple of times, reported to me as eligible. Then he lined up at the tackle position. So, actually, he didn’t have to report at all. No. 68, who ended up going downfield and touching the pass, did not report..."

We noticed there were two flags thrown on that same play. Was there another penalty called on that play as well?

“Yes. Because No. 70 reported as eligible and he was covered up on the line of scrimmage, that makes it an illegal formation. So, No. 70 is in an illegal position because he is covered up by rule, and No. 68 catches the pass, which is also illegal.”

So in one answer it's "He didn't even need to report... so that was silly of him wasn't it?" Then in another answer: "Because he reported and lined up wrong it was illegal. He shouldn't have done that and we flagged him for it." (Obviously that's me adding some thoughts to his answers.)

Then the next step: When there's two flags thrown for two different penalties, aren't they always announced with the other team declining whichever is the lesser penalty? Yet only the one penalty was announced.

Here's the evidence we have:

Pregame: Campbell says that he went over the play with the officials BEFORE the game. Rex Ryan confirms that this is general practice on any trick plays to make sure the officials know what to expect.

In game: We see Goff direct Decker to report. We see Decker converse with the official who appears to nod at Decker. We see the Lions lineup in a legal formation if Decker reports, but what would be an illegal formation is Schipper reports. We see the Lions run a play that's clearly been practiced repeatedly and is designed to throw to Decker.

We have flags thrown late. We have the ref sayings two different penalties were flagged, but only one was announced.

Now, as much as I've joked about the refs being on the take, I don't know if they actually are. It's probably more likely that it was just plain incompetence than intentionally trying to screw the Lions. And in the end, nothing will happen. The NFL will never change the outcome of the game despite the potential ramifications in terms of seeding and playoff locations.

For the record: I don't blame Dallas fans (if any of y'all are out there reading this) for celebrating the win. Bad calls do happen all game long and sometimes they go for your team, sometimes they don't. A team can't control that and if it helps your team, well... that's what happens sometimes. I just sucks when your a fan of a team like the Lions who seem to collect game changing bad calls on a regular basis.

6 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Just in case you needed anymore proof that the guy was confused and making stuff up... from the pool report:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2023/12/31/detroit-lions-taylor-decker-flagged-on-2-point-play-referee-brad-allen-explains/72071503007/

Why was there a penalty called on the two-point conversion for an illegal touch?

“So, we had a situation where if you were going to have an ineligible number occupy an eligible position, you have to report that to the referee. On this particular play, No. 70, who had reported during the game a couple of times, reported to me as eligible. Then he lined up at the tackle position. So, actually, he didn’t have to report at all. No. 68, who ended up going downfield and touching the pass, did not report..."

We noticed there were two flags thrown on that same play. Was there another penalty called on that play as well?

“Yes. Because No. 70 reported as eligible and he was covered up on the line of scrimmage, that makes it an illegal formation. So, No. 70 is in an illegal position because he is covered up by rule, and No. 68 catches the pass, which is also illegal.”

So in one answer it's "He didn't even need to report... so that was silly of him wasn't it?" Then in another answer: "Because he reported and lined up wrong it was illegal. He shouldn't have done that and we flagged him for it." (Obviously that's me adding some thoughts to his answers.)

Then the next step: When there's two flags thrown for two different penalties, aren't they always announced with the other team declining whichever is the lesser penalty? Yet only the one penalty was announced.

I'm curious if he saw the replay that clearly shows him acknowledging Decker and walking away before he made those comments that double down on Skipper having reported. If so, he's just a moron who is so full of himself he can't face the truth that he's not perfect. You made a mistake, own it.

If not, he should get the chance to revise his statement. I'd like to think there are more Jim Joyce's out there than ass hole terrible officials. The combination of him being told pregame about the play, Decker reporting correctly, Decker lining up eligible, Skipper lining up ineligibly, and him ignoring all of that information to erroneously say that nah, Skipper reported? He should feel terrible. He cost the Lions the game.

4 hours ago, holygoat said:

Most of the immediate national reaction was that despite the loss, they feel better about Detroit than Dallas going into the playoffs.

`but because of it, the Lions might have to go back to Dallas in Round 2 - because Dallas holds the tiebreaker now and that sucks.   Guess we'll have to hope for Seattle or the Rams or whomever comes in at #7 to beat Dallas (and if we win our home game, we'd get another one if that happened).  

Why not dream of a Super Bowl?    I mean, I know this team has not peaked and that might happen 2 years from now, but Dallas had been destroying teams at home and the Lions held with them.    A missed play by Derrick Barnes and a bad call by the refs is what it took - the defense held yesterday - and if they can play like that, they could take this all the way (not expecting it, but why not us?  other teams not as good as this one have gone on runs).    

39 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'm curious if he saw the replay that clearly shows him acknowledging Decker and walking away before he made those comments that double down on Skipper having reported. If so, he's just a moron who is so full of himself he can't face the truth that he's not perfect. You made a mistake, own it.

If not, he should get the chance to revise his statement. I'd like to think there are more Jim Joyce's out there than ass hole terrible officials. The combination of him being told pregame about the play, Decker reporting correctly, Decker lining up eligible, Skipper lining up ineligibly, and him ignoring all of that information to erroneously say that nah, Skipper reported? He should feel terrible. He cost the Lions the game.

Someone asked why did all 3 go over to the ref (Sewell, Skipper and Decker) and Rex Ryan had to point out that you don't want to make it too obvious to the defense and Rex also said that players and coaches tune out PA announcements.  

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

`but because of it, the Lions might have to go back to Dallas in Round 2 - because Dallas holds the tiebreaker now and that sucks.   Guess we'll have to hope for Seattle or the Rams or whomever comes in at #7 to beat Dallas (and if we win our home game, we'd get another one if that happened).  

Why not dream of a Super Bowl?    I mean, I know this team has not peaked and that might happen 2 years from now, but Dallas had been destroying teams at home and the Lions held with them.    A missed play by Derrick Barnes and a bad call by the refs is what it took - the defense held yesterday - and if they can play like that, they could take this all the way (not expecting it, but why not us?  other teams not as good as this one have gone on runs).    

If the defense plays how it did against Dallas..... and makes tackles it should make.... @Barnes...... I don't think the Super Bowl is an unrealistic aim. This season.

45 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

What a bunch of cowards. I don't even care if they change any procedures going forward, just admit your refs screwed up and issue an apology. 

**** their apologies.  I'm ****ing sick of the league apologizing to the Lions.       I hope the Lions can use it and shove it right up the league's ass.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

As I said yesterday, I don't think Bran Allen pulled a Tim Donaghy. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, but still think the league should cover its bases with a formal investigation.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

image.png.967fd58d580833898177cfdbbb5d936a.png

So... the NFL allows trick plays... I mean why not? They're some of the most fun plays to watch and as long as they follow the rules they should be legal, so yeah... trick plays are a good thing.

The NFL also acknowledges that trick plays can be confusing, even for the refs. This is why (according to Rex Ryan) part of the pre-game procedure is the coaching staff of each team going over what it may be doing during the game with the officials, including trick plays and diagraming them so that it's clear to the officials.

image.png.c90f0c4a341c6dcee4cc4ee75535dedd.png

• Like 3

I remember for a long time the NHL would release videos, narrated by Brendan Shanahan (who was a Senior VP at the time), detailing all of their player conduct that was deemed worthy of discipline and peeling back the curtain of why players were being suspended or fined. Here is an example.

I would love for the NFL to do the same, both for player discipline and for controversial calls. The status quo we are existing in right now is really stupid. We have Adam Schefter reporting that an official is being downgraded and left out of the postseason (while for some reason deflecting to a tripping penalty that there doesn't seem to be a good angle of); we have Pro Football Talk reporting that the NFL is blaming the Lions; we have a myriad of paid former officials on ESPN and NBC and CBS quasi-defending the official despite it just clearly being a mistake; we have another myriad of paid commentators and former coaches defending the Lions and what was clearly a play that worked to perfection.... And we have radio silence from the NFL themselves.

Stand up and tell us what you think. Someone has to own this publicly, not behind the guise of texting Schefter or being an anonymous "source with knowledge of the situation". The officials are not beyond reproach, they have very public, very high-paying jobs. It won't make everyone happy, but at least everyone would be on the same page as to what occurred from the NFL's point of view.

It's hardly even really a 'trick play.'  A flea-flicker or a fake punt is a trick play. Tackle eligible is completely normal play except for uniform number rules, which obviously are unnecessary otherwise you couldn't have it waived anytime you want just by asking.

10 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Cabinda was waived just in time to talk publicly without risk of being fined.

It wasn't three guys with the ref. Decker was checking in while Skipper was still running onto the field. It on the video and Aikman reported that right at the get-go. There was a second lineman with Decker but it wan't even Skipper.

Edited by gehringer_2