Week Seventeen: Detroit Lions (11-4) @ Dallas Cowboys (10-5)

MichiganCardinal

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But the Lions know they can beat these guys (if it's a fair fight).  That goes a long way too.     I think maybe the Lions walk away from this game feeling better than the Cowboys do today, because there has got to be some doubt creeping in for the Cowboys.   Not for the Lions.   

Most of the immediate national reaction was that despite the loss, they feel better about Detroit than Dallas going into the playoffs.

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Given that this play was specifically told to the officiating crew BEFORE the game, Campbell probably figured they would do their job and get it right.

Also, I just re-listened to the broadcast and I didn't hear it announced at all. Not saying it wasn't announced but I was specifically listening for it and I didn't hear anything. If I couldn't even hear it when I was listening for it, I suspect it would have been super easy to miss it if I wasn't.

There's a clip on X of the Cowboys radio broadcast and you can hear the P.A's announcement of 70 on that. 

• Like 1

I was driving around this morning and flipping around to various radio broadcasts of today's slate of 1pm game. During the Giants-Rams game, a player had to report and the announcer said he needs be to extra careful when doing so and maybe get it in writing from the ref, "after last night's debacle in Dallas".

2 hours ago, oblong said:

There are 3 kinds of “mistakes”.   The first is when the body doesn’t do what the mind wants it to.  A bad throw. Dropped pass. Missed putt. Etc.  When I hear fans try to downplay the importance of this call by pointing out “well if Goff hits his guy…”. That misses the point.  Those are execution errors that’s based on skill level.  Both sides are competing hard to win.  Sometimes you execute and sometimes you don’t. No amount of practice or prep will deliver 100% results.  The players know immediately they messed up. 

The second kind are judgement calls.  Either you didn’t see it or saw something and didn’t feel at that moment it rose to the level, or vice versa.  Snap calls made on the spot.   Those are somewhat forgivable and there’s replay to help out. 

this kind of mistake is just a flat out screw up. I don’t even know what to call it.  The only analogy I can think of is a baseball manager telling the umpire of a lineup change in the 8th inning then they get called out for batting out of order. 

Yup. Just in terms of trying to figure out what passed in the ref's mind - in the film you see Skipper running on to the field when Decker is already talking to the ref. You can guess the perceptual short circuit was that the ref then remembered being told by the guy he saw running in because that is what he expected, that the player signing in would be running on to the field - so his brain re-arranged the pieces of the memory to match the experience pattern already in his memory. This kind of thing happens a lot and most people just deny that they are prone to error but everyone is. That's one reason referees shouldn't work alone - to guard against the single brain short circuit, but this was a single point of failure case - only one ref involved.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yup. Just in terms of trying to figure out what passed in the ref's mind - in the film you see 68 running on to the field when Decker is already talking to the ref. You can guess the perceptual short circuit was that the ref then remembered being told by the guy he saw running in because that is what he expected, that the player signing in would be running on to the field - so his brain re-arranged the pieces of the memory that way. This kind of thing happens a lot and most people just deny that they are prone to error but everyone is. That's one reason referees shouldn't work alone - to guard against the single brain short circuit, but this was a single point of failure case - only one ref involved.

It's also why replay should have gotten involved to save him.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ben9753 said:

And get banned from the NFL for life. But who cares at this point lol

Yeah, just a delayed knee jerk reaction. Let the NFL cheat. As long as the legal gambling sites make billions of dollars. I'm sure the referees families and friends have the inside scoop. Their credibility is in the toilet...

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

That's OK, you still want to get the last dance just for the experience.

The Lions are in a 2nd tier of teams. Probably the 2nd or 3rd best team in the NFC. And probably also behing Baltimore and Miami. We need an edge rusher to go along with Hutch, a CB and maybe a receiver. Patience...and believe Campbell when he says we're close, very close...the future is bright!

40 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I feel the argument would have been that replay couldn't determine what Decker said to the ref unless of course the ref had a mic that was recording. 

It’s not a challenge though, or even a review. It’s just a replay official giving him an out, asking him “are you SURE, because that’s not what it looks like on video at ALL”

For all we know they did and he was too stubborn to acknowledge the possibility he ****ed it up