2024 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

Henning with some Garko praise this morning with some nice tidbits:

Credit goes to Al Avila, the previous Tigers general manager, for recognizing the Tigers were a few eons behind too many other MLB teams when it came to grooming players. Avila knew science and technology, biomechanics, nutrition, strength and conditioning — even psychology — had become indispensable as baseball’s best clubs worked to gain an edge on the competition.

Credit also Chris Ilitch for approving many millions of dollars in allowing Avila to take those first steps in bringing the Tigers into baseball’s 21st century.

Avila hired Garko. Now, Garko is part of a new front-office group that finds in overall chief, Scott Harris, an even more advanced focus on development, with new staffers reinforcing creeds and incorporating baseball’s latest avant-garde thinking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Random question: What are some of the best Tiger podcasts? 

Turning The Corner.... With Cody Stavenhagen from the Athletic and his friemd.... probably my favorite overall the co-host can be annoying

Days of Roar ... with  Evan Petzold from the Free Press and Mark Garosh ( who can be a lot full of himself and is a former Moton sports poster)

Motorcity metrics.... Chris and Rogelio mainly cover the Tigers Minor league system this is a Tigers focusted podcast ( Tigers Minor League Report is the  other podcast/youtube show)

Locked on Tigers.... Scott Bently does mainly a game by game recap but also talks about the Tigers overall

Eat Em Up .... A new podcast from Jordan from the Podcastellanos... havent heard it yet the old show was more light and funny dont know what this version is like

Edited by Toddwert
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

Turning The Corner.... With Cody Stavenhagen from the Athletic and his friemd.... probably my favorite overall the co-host can be annoying

Days of Roar ... with  Evan Petzold from the Free Press and Mark Garosh ( who can be a lot full of himself and is a former Moton sports poster)

Motorcity metrics.... Chris and Rogelio mainly cover the Tigers Minor league system this is a Tigers focusted podcast ( Tigers Minor League Report is the  other podcast/youtube show)

Locked on Tigers.... Scott Bently does mainly a game by game recap but also talks about the Tigers overall

Eat Em Up .... A new podcast from Jordan from the Podcastellanos... havent heard it yet the old show was more light and funny dont know what this version is like

Respectfully, you’re just listing them.  Each is pretty flawed, but I suppose if you’re desperate for Tigers info, they could suffice.  I listen to Cody, but find myself fast forwarding the first 5 minutes or so and dropping with about 10 minutes left to avoid the personal banter.

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Respectfully, you’re just listing them.  Each is pretty flawed, but I suppose if you’re desperate for Tigers info, they could suffice.  I listen to Cody, but find myself fast forwarding the first 5 minutes or so and dropping with about 10 minutes left to avoid the personal banter.

I know but I cant tell someone else what they might like they all have thier pluses and minuses I was more posting the options hopeing others would comment

I know a lot of people on here don't like Turning the Corner but I think it is the best of the bunch.  There is some personal banter, but based on stuff I've listened to the personal stuff on TTC is much less than other podcasts.  I've tried listening to podcasts from The Athletic, not Tigers-focused but just baseball podcasts, and there is much, much more personal banter and inside-joking on them than on TTC.  For me, those are positively un-listen-able.  TTC I can manage. 

1 hour ago, theroundsquare said:

I know a lot of people on here don't like Turning the Corner but I think it is the best of the bunch.  There is some personal banter, but based on stuff I've listened to the personal stuff on TTC is much less than other podcasts.  I've tried listening to podcasts from The Athletic, not Tigers-focused but just baseball podcasts, and there is much, much more personal banter and inside-joking on them than on TTC.  For me, those are positively un-listen-able.  TTC I can manage. 

Agree.  Once they get into the baseball talk, it’s mostly enjoyable.  The other Pods each have a wink link that is hard to look past.

1 hour ago, theroundsquare said:

agreed my personal choice is Turning the Corner, Motown Metric, locked on Tigers and then last days Of Roar

If you want to hear unvarnished commentary on a baseball podcast, the kind that does not fluff a particular team, Major League Baseball, or The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball, you can't do much better than Foul Territory. They can have as much annoying insidery banter as any other podcast, and they sometimes pull punches on player commentary because they are still part of the brethren. But when they get on a roll about the state of the game, it can be really exhilarating, because they are beholden to nobody on the inside. The stuff they've said, for example, about Anthony Rendon after his ill-advised comments, and about the Oakland Vegas A's situation in general—just 👩🏽‍🍳💋.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If you want to hear unvarnished commentary on a baseball podcast, the kind that does not fluff a particular team, Major League Baseball, or The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball, you can't do much better than Foul Territory. They can have as much annoying insidery banter as any other podcast, and they sometimes pull punches on player commentary because they are still part of the brethren. But when they get on a roll about the state of the game, it can be really exhilarating, because they are beholden to nobody on the inside. The stuff they've said, for example, about Anthony Rendon after his ill-advised comments, and about the Oakland Vegas A's situation in general—just 👩🏽‍🍳💋.

+1 love this one.

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Locked On was much better with Chris C.  Not a fan of the new guy.

I only started listening at the end of last season so I  didnt catch it with Chris C. I only catch it once and awhile if I miss the game the night before.

7 hours ago, Toddwert said:

Days of Roar ... with  Evan Petzold from the Free Press and Mark Garosh ( who can be a lot full of himself and is a former banned Moton sports poster)

FTFY

Matt Manning has been just so good this spring. I am really looking forward to seeing him pitch in April. He seems like a lock for the fourth spot and now it’s between Reese and Casey for the fifth spot. 

Looking ahead, he goes to arb for three years in 2025-27 and then he’s probably gone in 2028. His agent is Scott Boras.

On 3/16/2024 at 9:04 AM, Toddwert said:

Thanks wasnt sure if he got the Ban Hammer I know he was a pain 

HAHAHA, Mark G there is a name from the past. I forgot about him, thankfully, whether here or at Tigstown.