20234-24 14-68. Now what? (The 2024 Offseason thread)

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

That tweet made no sense to me. So the issue is hotel rooms? But we have enough hotel rooms to host a superbowl, mlb all star game and the draft? I don't think the NBA all star game is bigger than those events.

50 minutes ago, KL2 said:

That tweet made no sense to me. So the issue is hotel rooms? But we have enough hotel rooms to host a superbowl, mlb all star game and the draft? I don't think the NBA all star game is bigger than those events.

The only thing I can think of is the NBA uses a smaller radius when counting hotel rooms.  

2 hours ago, KL2 said:

Detroit has had fewer hotel room than most competing cities for a long time. It's a working town - not exactly a big tourist draw.

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Detroit has had fewer hotel room than most competing cities for a long time. It's a working town - not exactly a big tourist draw.

you just repeated what i questioned. 

So it has 'fewer hotel rooms' but yet can host super bowls and mlb all star games? And yes its a 'working' town. So are Cleveland, Indy, Charlotte which have hosted in the last decade.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, KL2 said:

you just repeated what i questioned. 

So it has 'fewer hotel rooms' but yet can host super bowls and mlb all star games? And yes its a 'working' town. So are Cleveland, Indy, Charlotte which have hosted in the last decade.

Just to pick one - It looks like Charlotte has a couple thousand more DT hotel rooms than Detroit. Del is probably correct they aren't impressed by the numbers available in Oakland county.

the Hudson project is supposed to add a chunk and that could be the 'in the future' referenced.

Edited by gehringer_2

From the JEIII mailbag on The Athletic.

No clue about any of these guys.  But I saw people talking about Gupta.  MIT graduate with a degree in computer science, so probably an analytic type.  Apparently, he also was the creator of the ESPN trade machine.

Lastly, aside from some of the names I’ve mentioned before, keep an eye on Dennis Lindsey (Dallas), Marc Eversley (Chicago) and Sachin Gupta (Minnesota), who I think could bring some creative, fresh thinking to the the basketball side.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

From the JEIII mailbag on The Athletic.

No clue about any of these guys.  But I saw people talking about Gupta.  MIT graduate with a degree in computer science, so probably an analytic type.  Apparently, he also was the creator of the ESPN trade machine.

The JEIII method - just name everyone you can possibly think of so you have a better shot at taking a victory lap later.

How many names has rattled off so far? Seven?

Edited by Betrayer

24 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

The JEIII method - just name everyone you can possibly think of so you have a better shot at taking a victory lap later.

How many names has rattled off so far? Seven?

And none of them have really moved the needle for me.

Should start a pool to guess when he mentions JJ Redick.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

And none of them have really moved the needle for me.

Should start a pool to guess when he mentions JJ Redick.  

well.....arn tellum was jj's agent so...

21 hours ago, Deleterious said:

That guy is running around telling his assistant he wants to put a baby in her.  Meanwhile, I get nervous when one of our female employees hugs me.

What the heck kind of hugs you got going on there?

JEIII's latest is the ol' make an offer to the beat writer for another team for a trade.  each beat writer basically said "no way."

the pistons dont have the assets to trade for an available GOOD player, much less an available STAR player.

duren and this year's #1 for ingram and the pels' #1.  nope.

duren and fournier for poetl, bruce brown and a #1 pick this year.  nope.

duren, ivey, and this year's #1 pick for lauri markkanen.  nope.  with a big ol' laughing emoji that this wouldnt even be CLOSE to what they would want for markkanen.  five frp/frs is what it would take or maybe 3 first round picks and cade. similar to the donovan mitchell trade.

these are just beat writers, but the overall tenor is that the pistons' assets are not looked at as valuable other than cade and maybe isaiah stewart.  this year's number one is not worth much because the draft class sucks, and ivey, duren, etc are not seen as valuable players.

and we cant trade future ones because we still owe one to the knicks.

we are four years into the worst rebuild in nba history and we have very few assets and NEGATIVE draft capital.

the incompetence of this front office is amazing, matched only by the incompetence of ownership in keeping it around.

• Like 1

and what real difference does adding a president of basketball operations on top of all this mean?  JUST FIRE WEAVER!  why add another layer of bureaucracy on top of the multiple layers you already have?  

tom gores just doesnt care.  i dont understand how a guy who made billions by taking distressed properties, stripping them of excess management and labor and making them profitable, is doing the exact opposite in detroit.

makes me wonder if they just got lucky with the other businesses too.  bought them at the right time for cheap and then naturally watched the value grow?  that's all he's done with the pistons.  he's done nothing but make one bad decision after another for 15 years and the team has increased in value 10 fold.

23 minutes ago, buddha said:

JEIII's latest is the ol' make an offer to the beat writer for another team for a trade.  each beat writer basically said "no way."

the pistons dont have the assets to trade for an available GOOD player, much less an available STAR player.

duren, ivey, and this year's #1 pick for lauri markkanen.  nope.  with a big ol' laughing emoji that this wouldnt even be CLOSE to what they would want for markkanen.  five frp/frs is what it would take or maybe 3 first round picks and cade. similar to the donovan mitchell trade.

these are just beat writers, but the overall tenor is that the pistons' assets are not looked at as valuable other than cade and maybe isaiah stewart.  this year's number one is not worth much because the draft class sucks, and ivey, duren, etc are not seen as valuable players.

we are four years into the worst rebuild in nba history and we have very few assets and NEGATIVE draft capital.

the incompetence of this front office is amazing, matched only by the incompetence of ownership in keeping it around.

After reading this, our best bet might be to just hold on and hope one of them develops.  Not much sense just trading our bad players for different bad players.  

32 minutes ago, buddha said:

and what real difference does adding a president of basketball operations on top of all this mean?  JUST FIRE WEAVER!  why add another layer of bureaucracy on top of the multiple layers you already have?  

tom gores just doesnt care.  i dont understand how a guy who made billions by taking distressed properties, stripping them of excess management and labor and making them profitable, is doing the exact opposite in detroit.

makes me wonder if they just got lucky with the other businesses too.  bought them at the right time for cheap and then naturally watched the value grow?  that's all he's done with the pistons.  he's done nothing but make one bad decision after another for 15 years and the team has increased in value 10 fold.

The optimist in me hopes it's a situation like what happened with the Tigers in which Dombrowski was brought as president above Randy Smith and then promptly cleaned house and took over as GM. I doubt that will happen here. 

48 minutes ago, buddha said:

It's a lot easier to critique other people's decisions than your own...:classic_wink:

The PoBO (or HoBO as they're calling it now) is being brought in to fire people so Tom doesn't have to do it. That's my opinion, but it makes sense from what we know of Gores. One of Weaver or Monty will be gone. I'm assuming it's Monty because the HoBO will probably need Weaver's research for this draft since it will be so late by then.

As far as those trades, I feel like that article is the same every year. I'm not sure I trust the beat writers to answer for the organizations, certainly not if I'm judging by our beat writers who have no clue.

Some GM out there had Ivey and/or Duren high on their big board and thinks they can be a star. I just have to hope that the HoBO can find that GM and that he has something we want in return. It's part of the reason we need to test the market now, because most of their value is still riding on them as prospects - that mystique diminishes slightly with every game they play.

Either way, you can't just roll back the same team that won 14 games (plus Tobias) and expect it to be better. I think even Gores can see that and I expect he's been embarrassed enough this season that he's going to be demanding major changes. My only hope is that it doesn't swing too hard the other way and we wind up with another Blake situation (Lavine or Ingram with the 4 year 205M extension he's going to want).

lavine will cost nothing but money if theyre smart about it.  the bulls have been openly trying to get rid of him and had no takers.  (im not advocating for lavine, but i can see these idiots dealing ivey for him when theyre basically the same player only lavine is the fully developed version and ivey is still a pup)

last year you had guys like divencenzo and coby white available.  two years ago malik monk was available.  guys you could have had for less than $10m who dramatically outplayed their deals and would have brought shooting to a team desperate for shooting.

these are the types of guys they should be looking for this year, not taking on joe harris for two seconds.

3 hours ago, buddha said:

You'll get Miles Bridges, Tobias Harris, and Patrick Beverly and you'll like it!

• Sad 1