4/28/24 1:40PM Royals @ Tigers

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Robertson was not drafted by Detroit. Acquired in a trade for Mark Redman, and had already pitched for the Marlins before the trade. Similar to Boyd in that regard.

Yeah, I think I remember that now. So Skubal works up the list even more of LH pitchers drafted and developed by Detroit. And there's a lot of years between Lolich and Skubal.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

I was curious so went over to Fangraphs and got LHP fWAR for Tigers since 1975.

• Frank Tanana 18.1
  • Justin Thompson 11.2
  • Matthew Boyd 10.5
  • Nate Robertson 9.2
  • Tarik Skubal 7.7
  • David Wells 7.5
  • Mike Maroth 6.9
  • David Price 6.4
  • Daniel Norris 6.0
  • Willie Hernandez 5.7

Just to build onto what you posted here, I wanted to look at effectiveness of LH pitchers since 1975, so I am adding FIP- below. I like FIP-minus because it measures a pitcher's expected outcomes on the things he can control, taken against league average. I used 220 innings minimum because that's the lowest qualifier on your table (i.e., Willie), which is why we see Lolich on the table. 100 is average; lower is better:

• David Price 71
  • Mickey Lolich 82
  • Willie Hernandez 85
  • Drew Smyly 88
  • Tarik Skubal 89
  • Phil Coke 90
  • Jim Crawford 90
  • David Wells 90
  • Justin Thompson 91
  • John Hiller 92

FYI, Skubal's FIP- for the season coming into this game is 55, and it was 47 last year, so, I expect him to move up the list within a short period of time.

Wenceel Perez is living the dream.  His post game interview with Trevor Thompson, man, you can just tell he’s on cloud nine.  He mentioned calling his folks after the game and hoping they could come see him play.  The Tigers need to make that happen and presumably they’re working on it.

Then they showed Perez meeting the 6 year old who “caught” his home run ball and his family on the field.  That’s good stuff.

Perez seems to have brought a bit of a spark to Detroit.  For sure he’s passed by Baddoo on the depth chart.  Someone else mentioned it elsewhere, but he kind off fell of the radar a season or two ago but resurfaced as a prospect.  Got to love it.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, chasfh said:

We had to have this one. We couldn't lose two of three to KC at home.

18 minutes ago, oblong said:

Nice series win after Friday ended in a stinker. 

Win the three game series and split the two and four game series.  Play around that kind of record that throughout the season and it should be a playoff team.

27 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

KC is very, very scrappy. They should win a lot of games with that team speed. It really puts pressure on the fielders.

I love speed on the base paths to create that press and speed on defense to take away some of marginally open areas.  For as long as they’ve been playing at Commercial Park, I’ve wanted to see range in the outfield.  Greene and Meadows can provide that.  Hopefully Meadows can climb out of his slump and avoid a refresher in Toledo.

26 minutes ago, casimir said:

I love speed on the base paths to create that press and speed on defense to take away some of marginally open areas.  For as long as they’ve been playing at Commercial Park, I’ve wanted to see range in the outfield.  Greene and Meadows can provide that.  Hopefully Meadows can climb out of his slump and avoid a refresher in Toledo.

Meadows could really make a difference if he could only get on base more consistently. He would be an excellent leadoff hitter. As it is, how about Perez hitting leadoff? I don't like Greene leading off because no matter when he bats, there are black holes hitting before him. I would rather see guys on base for him. Especially if Tork keeps tanking.

38 minutes ago, casimir said:

Wenceel Perez is living the dream.  His post game interview with Trevor Thompson, man, you can just tell he’s on cloud nine.  He mentioned calling his folks after the game and hoping they could come see him play.  The Tigers need to make that happen and presumably they’re working on it.

Then they showed Perez meeting the 6 year old who “caught” his home run ball and his family on the field.  That’s good stuff.

Perez seems to have brought a bit of a spark to Detroit.  For sure he’s passed by Baddoo on the depth chart.  Someone else mentioned it elsewhere, but he kind off fell of the radar a season or two ago but resurfaced as a prospect.  Got to love it.

I say this every year when a guy comes up from Toledo and has a bit of success...some players are better at the ML level for a variety of reasons. Better field conditions, pitchers more around the plate, better lighting, less travel and better nutrition. It makes sense if true.

56 minutes ago, casimir said:

Wenceel Perez is living the dream.  ... Someone else mentioned it elsewhere, but he kind off fell of the radar a season or two ago but resurfaced as a prospect.  Got to love it.

Coulda been me.

I've been high on him since we signed him back in 2017-ish.

It was Avila's first foray into spending decent international money instead of "spreading smaller amounts" around. That was probably part of it... it was $500K IIRC. 

But it was also that he was supposed to have a very high hit tool and really good speed and was projected to have some power (not much, but better than zero) for a middle infielder. 

And I was getting tired of the Rey Rivera's that Avila was drafting at the time.

He showed the hit tool right away and looked like a decent prospect with a decent chance but...

Struggled in Low-A in 2019, pandemic so nothing in 2020, and was "meh" coming back in 2021, low and high A.

But he broke out in 2022 with a .900+ OPS in high-A and Erie... so I started chirping about him again.

A bit loudly.

Glad to see he's made it to The Show and let's see what he can do...!

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Win the three game series and split the two and four game series.  Play around that kind of record that throughout the season and it should be a playoff team.

That’s how you build up a winning season.  A lot of fans don’t seem to get that. The best teams will lose 2-3 games a week. I’ve always said that football fans can make bad baseball fans because a lot of them , especially sports talk radio listeners, don’t seem to understand that.  You can’t over react to a game or two. This team has bounced back. 

8 minutes ago, oblong said:

That’s how you build up a winning season.  A lot of fans don’t seem to get that. The best teams will lose 2-3 games a week. I’ve always said that football fans can make bad baseball fans because a lot of them , especially sports talk radio listeners, don’t seem to understand that.  You can’t over react to a game or two. This team has bounced back. 

I agree with you about the football mentality not working for baseball.  I think it shows with some folks in here.  It can be aggravating at times.

I did the math on my theory of winning and splitting series.  They have 40 three game series, so that’d be 80-40.  Split the rest and the final record is 101-61.  Probably a little bit aggressive of a goal, but if they were to hit it, they’d definitely be a playoff team.

I do think as a team encounters a series, taking a three game series is probably the general goal in mind unless that team happens to win the first two games of the series.  Obviously there are other variables at play that teams are mindful of.  What does the pitching staff look like, are they rested well, can they take advantage of the opposition’s pitching staff?  What about the position players, are they fully loaded?  Case in point, it sounds like Kelly is a bit dinged up right now, and given the nature of catchers, Hinch probably had no choice but to keep Rogers in the games this weekend.  If a situation were to come up with the game on the line, it probably wasn’t going to lend itself to pinch hitting for Rogers.  And of course the Royals were probably aware of this as well.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Meadows could really make a difference if he could only get on base more consistently. He would be an excellent leadoff hitter. As it is, how about Perez hitting leadoff? I don't like Greene leading off because no matter when he bats, there are black holes hitting before him. I would rather see guys on base for him. Especially if Tork keeps tanking.

I just want Meadows to be a reasonable bottom of the order hitter right now.  Torkelson needs to provide offense.  I expect Keith to catch on at some point this season.  That should make an average top half of the lineup with Greene, Canha, and Carpenter.

Hopefully Rogers/Kelly can form a respectable catching duo.  Baez, just get around 100 OPS+, play that defense and create havoc when on the base paths.  I think Vierling can have a nice slightly above 100 OPS+ at 3B.  That should allow Meadows to play defense and not worry about offense too much for now.

I think if the Tigers can get that type of production, they’ll be fine.

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

I just want Meadows to be a reasonable bottom of the order hitter right now.  Torkelson needs to provide offense.  I expect Keith to catch on at some point this season.  That should make an average top half of the lineup with Greene, Canha, and Carpenter.

Hopefully Rogers/Kelly can form a respectable catching duo.  Baez, just get around 100 OPS+, play that defense and create havoc when on the base paths.  I think Vierling can have a nice slightly above 100 OPS+ at 3B.  That should allow Meadows to play defense and not worry about offense too much for now.

I think if the Tigers can get that type of production, they’ll be fine.

Agreed. Especially with how well their pitching is doing. It was encouraging to see Meadows use the opposite field. Going the other way or bunting can get players out of a slump, sometimes. I've been waiting for Meadows to lay down a bunt, use his natural speed.

57 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I say this every year when a guy comes up from Toledo and has a bit of success...some players are better at the ML level for a variety of reasons. Better field conditions, pitchers more around the plate, better lighting, less travel and better nutrition. It makes sense if true.

It's a shame that when Ibanez comes off rehab they are probably going to send him back to Toledo. Parker is too big an asset in CF and has been hitting the ball better than his results this series, and I'm going to guess the commitment to Keith is strong enough he'll get more run. Or they could surprise me and decide to ride a hot hand....

Edited by gehringer_2

31 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's a shame that when Ibanez comes off rehab they are probably going to send him back to Toledo. Parker is too big an asset in CF and has been hitting the ball better than his results this series, and I'm going to guess the commitment to Keith is strong enough he'll get more run. Or they could surprise me and decide to ride a hot hand....

Perez has created a very hard choice for the Tigers . I'd  find a way to keep him on the team. It's not like we don't have a number of under performers that couldn't use some additional time in the minors.