5/8/24 1:10PM Tigers @ Guardians

8 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

What a trade that turned out to be.

I mentioned before but it's kinda funny how Avila seemed to get better returns out of his lesser deals than he did the big name players.

Aside from Olson for Norris, getting Willi Castro for Leonys Martin was a win considering the one good season Willi had and the fact he is still in the league,  Gipson-Lomg for Fulmer looks like it has the potential to be a win if he can come back healthy. 

Then his best trade, getting Parades and Candelario for Justin Wilson and Alex Avila. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I mentioned before but it's kinda funny how Avila seemed to get better returns out of his lesser deals than he did the big name players.

Aside from Olson for Norris, getting Willi Castro for Leonys Martin was a win considering the one good season Willi had and the fact he is still in the league,  Gipson-Lomg for Fulmer looks like it has the potential to be a win if he can come back healthy. 

Then his best trade, getting Parades and Candelario for Justin Wilson and Alex Avila. 

Then, after his best trade, he should’ve got up off the poker table before he lost all his winnings.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

It shows how meaningless the win-loss record is...Reese is 0-4. With a 2.70 ERA...

And Reese is doing it with a higher-than-average walk rate and lower-than-average strikeout rate. Giving up no bombs doesn't hurt, but quality of contact metrics has his xFIP at 4.02 and xFIP- at 102, because he gives up more hard hit balls than most, even more than Mize. So unless he tightens that up, he's going to slide down the rotation some.

15 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

If as a major league GM you're getting hits here on there on minor trades while getting crushed on practically every major one, that doesn't acquit your legacy as well as you might hope.

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

I knew it all along, I tried to tell everyone but no one would listen, the first two callups would be Wenceel Perez and Ryan Vilade

Sucks for Kreidler.  He'd likely have gotten one of those calls.

24 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Aside from Olson for Norris, getting Willi Castro for Leonys Martin was a win considering the one good season Willi had and the fact he is still in the league,  Gipson-Lomg for Fulmer looks like it has the potential ...

Also Joe Wentz for Shane Greene.

Wentz is just starting out so we don't know what he can do. I like him as a middle reliever 2-3-inning guy so we'll see how that works out. A bad 2023 so he has to overcome his (-0.8) career WAR so far...

Greene had a 1.0 WAR after leaving Detroit so it's not a huge bar to get over.

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If as a major league GM you're getting hits here on there on minor trades while getting crushed on practically every major one, that doesn't acquit your legacy as well as you might hope.

It does not.

Also... I think after getting crushed in the Verlander and Martinez trades...

He became gun-shy and refused to even consider any major trade again...

He did win several of these smaller trades...

But being gun-shy as an MLB GM is not a recipe for success.

23 minutes ago, chasfh said:

And Reese is doing it with a higher-than-average walk rate and lower-than-average strikeout rate. Giving up no bombs doesn't hurt, but quality of contact metrics has his xFIP at 4.02 and xFIP- at 102, because he gives up more hard hit balls than most, even more than Mize. So unless he tightens that up, he's going to slide down the rotation some.

What's his babip? That's always a good indication of how his future will go. Just going by eye, the kid has good stuff.

I think Reese Olson must have done something to Tiger hitters in spring training to tick them off and get them to boycott him. Of course that doesn't explain the other days of the week the Tigers bats are silent as well.