What are your hot takes for the remaining 100+ games for 2024 Season?

Since we are close to 33% done with the season and the Tigers are pretty much .500 with a 0 run differential, I am looking to see some hot takes around performance or team records etc.

• Tork finishes leading the team with HR with 31
  • Flaherty is traded and people are generally impressed with the return
  • Colt Keith finishes with a .280 average with 15 HR but does not win RoY
  • Montero makes more MLB starts than Manning by the end of the season

Scott Harris will say that this season is all about development and mlb plate appearances are very important for development of the young hitters...all whilst Malloy, Meadows, and Young all still wallow in Toledo...oh wait, he said that today on mlb network...soooo, we should be expecting all the young Toledo bats called up any time now, yes Scott?

3 hours ago, Dtrain72 said:

Scott Harris will say that this season is all about development and mlb plate appearances are very important for development of the young hitters...all whilst Malloy, Meadows, and Young all still wallow in Toledo...oh wait, he said that today on mlb network...soooo, we should be expecting all the young Toledo bats called up any time now, yes Scott?

But he apparently also said the Tigers need to obtain more mature batters to help they kids out? So which is it?

On a serious note, Harris unintentionally made his public feelings known about the organization's talent  level.

At his introductory presser, he just barely stifled a burst of laughter when asked about the talent of the players in the system.

We will see callups for marginal players in September. Jung will not be among them. Flarethy will be traded to a contender. Any true change has been written off by Harris.

If the wins blow in the right direction, we will win 84 games. This team is entertaining to watch, so I will watch it.

1 hour ago, HeyAbbott said:

On a serious note, Harris unintentionally made his public feelings known about the organization's talent  level.

At his introductory presser, he just barely stifled a burst of laughter when asked about the talent of the players in the system.

We will see callups for marginal players in September. Jung will not be among them. Flarethy will be traded to a contender. Any true change has been written off by Harris.

If the wins blow in the right direction, we will win 84 games. This team is entertaining to watch, so I will watch it.

If Flaherty does get traded, it will have to be for a near big league ready prospect. We’re not dumping him for low-A lottery tickets. We are no longer at the stage where we will accept that. If we can’t get anyone who’s near ready, I think we’re keeping him. 

2 hours ago, HeyAbbott said:

Harris really doesn't do a good job communcating with the public.  That is not a concern of mine and shouldn't affect his ability to do the more important parts of his job.  It's just an observation.  

17 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If Flaherty does get traded, it will have to be for a near big league ready prospect. We’re not dumping him for low-A lottery tickets. We are no longer at the stage where we will accept that. If we can’t get anyone who’s near ready, I think we’re keeping him. 

Flaherty is going to a problem for Harris. They can extend him, but the years are not going to be agreeable to a team that thinks they can find another Flaherty every winter. They can hold onto him and sign him in the winter, but the price will only be higher then. They can let him go for a comp pick, but that provides no help for 4 years. Or they can trade him, and absolutely, it would need to be for a guy who is ML ready. He couldn't meet the moment when trading ERod; no idea if he is able (willing?) to make a big, impactful move.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Flaherty is going to a problem for Harris. They can extend him, but the years are not going to be agreeable to a team that thinks they can find another Flaherty every winter. They can hold onto him and sign him in the winter, but the price will only be higher then. They can let him go for a comp pick, but that provides no help for 4 years. Or they can trade him, and absolutely, it would need to be for a guy who is ML ready. He couldn't meet the moment when trading ERod; no idea if he is able (willing?) to make a big, impactful move.

Harris has to accept the responsibility as PBO, but it wasn’t his fault the Eduardo trade fell apart. Harris had a deal all worked out with the Dodgers, and at literally the last minute, Eduardo demanded the Dodgers add an extra year to the deal for him to accept it, and they naturally balked at it. That’s was they didn’t get it done, not because Harris is a ****up. 

• Like 3

Harris needs to trade prospects, but not good prospects because we need them, for ML players, but only good ML players.  We can't be making trades like Suarez for Simon or Robbie Ray for Shane Greene.  He needs to sign some Free Agents but only the good Free Agents, not the bad ones like Javy Baez or Jordan Zimmerman.    And he needs to draft good players like Rutschman and not bad players like Torkelson.

So in a nutshell, we need to develop prospects, trade those prospects for ML players, then sign free agents who are good but not expensive.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I keep forgetting that nothing is ever Hinch's or Harris' fault.  

How was Eduardo layering on an extra unworkable demand at the last second Harris’s fault? What specifically did Harris do, or did not do, that cost us the deal?

Edited by chasfh

20 minutes ago, chasfh said:

How was it this his fault?

I don't have enough information to know if it was or wasn't.  What info I do have sounds like spin from the two front offices.  I am not convinced that there was nothing he could have done.  Perhaps, he could have understood better that Rodriguez was a quirky person and worked out a trade well ahead of the deadline.  Maybe he did that, but I do think that the GM needs to take some responsibility when they fail to get it all to work.  I am confident that if the same thing happened to Avila, fan reaction would have been more negative.  

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't have enough information to know if it was or wasn't.  What info I do have sounds like spin from the two front offices.  I am not convinced that there was nothing he could have done.  Perhaps, he could have understood better that Rodriguez was a quirky person and worked out a trade well ahead of the deadline.  Maybe he did that, but I do think that the GM needs to take some responsibility when they fail to get it all to work.  I am confident that if the same thing happened to Avila, fan reaction would have been more negative.  

He did work out the trade well ahead of the deadline, kept Eduardo and his team in the loop the entire time, had it all ready to go well ahead of the deadline, Eduardo killed it with his last second demand, and Harris stood up and took responsibility for the trade falling through. This was all well-reported at the time.

OTOH, this is the media we’re talking about, with all the cultural baggage that entails, so you can reject as much of or even all of it as you see fit.

I’ll go back to my two preseason “Bold Predictions” to start…

I predicted Flaherty would receive votes for the NL Cy Young award. I still think that is a possibility, but less so now. 
I also predicted Torkelson would regress this year. To date he has lived up to my expectations. 
The remainder of the year:

I was really hoping this team could manage a wild card spot this season but I don’t see that as a likely scenario now. A fourth place finish in the AL Central is looking like a realistic possibility. That’s a tough take when you look at what Kansas City has accomplished year over year. Cleveland hires an outstanding manager in Stephen Vogt and they’re playing lights out. I figured Vogt would be good. His playing bio suggested he would be very qualified to be a ML manager.
The trade deadline is already a couple of months out and I’ve seen nothing to make me believe this front office is capable of pulling off a trade that would really move the needle here. 
Generally speaking, I believe this team will do well to finish .500 this year. 

On 5/29/2024 at 12:12 PM, chasfh said:

He did work out the trade well ahead of the deadline, kept Eduardo and his team in the loop the entire time, had it all ready to go well ahead of the deadline, Eduardo killed it with his last second demand, and Harris stood up and took responsibility for the trade falling through. This was all well-reported at the time.

OTOH, this is the media we’re talking about, with all the cultural baggage that entails, so you can reject as much of or even all of it as you see fit.

Don't forget the LA GM..Freidman and a very good one...got hosed also as he ended up with fricken Lance Lynn as his mid season pick up who got slaughtered in the playoff. Erod/Agent were very unprofessional . It was a calculated last minute hold up if local LA talk radio is accurate. but nobody knows for sure except them. Anyways glad he is gone.

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Would still like to know who we would have received in return, though it doesn’t matter much now.

General consensus was either Dalton Rushing or Cartaya plus Eddys Leonard but we probably would have probably thrown in Jake Rogers as his name was thrown around and Donny Sands was in Pittsburgh ready to be "called up".