#10 is going up on the brick wall !

Posted (edited)

Well deserved.    One of the great baseball characters of all time.   I know Jim wasn't that famous when Major League came out, but there's a lot of Leyland in Lou Brown.   

This is my favorite Jim Leyland moment.    

CONGRATS, SKIP !

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Well deserved.    One of the great baseball characters of all time.   I know Jim wasn't that famous when Major League came out, but there's a lot of Leyland in Lou Brown.   

This is my favorite Jim Leyland moment.    

CONGRATS, SKIP !

To me the top Leyland moment is when he broke down after the 2011 division clincher.  Detroit had just come out of hte recession, the auto industry hit hard, and you could tell that he as the kid of a blue collar worker really wanted the fans to know how much they appreciated their support given all of that and he hoped they gave them something to look forward to and enjoy.  For him to think about that while celebrating tells you what kind of man he is.  Like Sparky he always thought about the little people and being decent.

• Like 1

I don't know about retiring manager numbers, but if anyone deserves that honor, it's him.  He may be the last of the old school managers.  He was tough and sensitive at the same time and very honest.  He is not as data smart as the new breed of managers and might have a hard managing in the new environment, but he seems like a good person and entertaining too.        

1 hour ago, oblong said:

To me the top Leyland moment is when he broke down after the 2011 division clincher.  Detroit had just come out of hte recession, the auto industry hit hard, and you could tell that he as the kid of a blue collar worker really wanted the fans to know how much they appreciated their support given all of that and he hoped they gave them something to look forward to and enjoy.  For him to think about that while celebrating tells you what kind of man he is.  Like Sparky he always thought about the little people and being decent.

Think he'll get choked up on August 3rd? 

Guarantee it !   He'll have a hard time getting through it.   

9 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't know about retiring manager numbers, but if anyone deserves that honor, it's him.  He may be the last of the old school managers.  He was tough and sensitive at the same time and very honest.  He is not as data smart as the new breed of managers and might have a hard managing in the new environment, but he seems like a good person and entertaining too.        

He's real.    He wasn't robotic.  

Posted (edited)

Great players make managers.  I don't think managers really can win games for a team.  They can lose them though.  

Smokes had some amazing players over his career.  He managed a top 5 player all time and there is a video of him chewing Bonds out.  It's priceless.  

And Miggy, Verlander, and Scherzer are all easy HOFers.

Edited by tiger2022

41 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

Great players make managers.  I don't think managers really can win games for a team.  They can lose them though.  

The importance of bullpen management has grown in recent years. I think today a team that pays attention to assembling a bullpen that can show a lot of different looks and a manager how knows how to use that tool do make a bigger difference today than at any previous point in the history of the game.

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The importance of bullpen management has grown in recent years. I think today a team that pays attention to assembling a bullpen that can show a lot of different looks and a manager how knows how to use that tool do make a bigger difference today than at any previous point in the history of the game.

I suppose that is one of the only areas, along with lineup construction, where managers really matter.

Jim Leyland said once the game starts that managing pitchers was the primary job of a manager and that managing in the AL was always harder than the NL because in the NL those decisions were often made for you due to when the P came up in the battine lineup.  That always stuck with me because of the old conventional wisdom that managing in the NL was harder.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, oblong said:

Jim Leyland said once the game starts that managing pitchers was the primary job of a manager and that managing in the AL was always harder than the NL because in the NL those decisions were often made for you due to when the P came up in the battine lineup.  That always stuck with me because of the old conventional wisdom that managing in the NL was harder.

Yes, and also, AL managers had to figure out which nine guys to put in the order and where they should all hit. In the NL, the pitcher practically always batted ninth, so convention made the decision for managers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

I didn’t say “favorite”. 😉

We were lucky to have both Anderson and Leyland.  It's hard to know how good they were because they had a lot of talent with which to work.  Anderson was probably my favorite, but Leyland may have been the best.  Both were great at working with different personalities, but it seemed like Anderson didn't have patience with certain young players as he did with stars.  Leyland never seemed to have a problem with anyone.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Yes, and also, AL managers had to figure out which nine guys to put in the order and where they should all hit. In the NL, the pitcher practically always batted ninth, so convention made the decision for managers. 

There may not have been as much in game managing in the NL, but the thing that NL managers had to figure out was what to do about the hitter who couldn't field.  Do you sacrifice offense or defense on a given day?  

When it comes to managers I go by what the players say.  Especially Sparky it seems like his guys really admired him.  Fryman named his son George and Tram and Gibby talk him up a lot.  Managers don't teach them to play.

But that role has changed over the years as we have more analytics and the players have gotten "bigger".  Before I think a big part of their job was on the babysitting side of things.  Curfews, rules, etc.  Now the players are their own corporations and know how to take care of themselves, millions of dollars are at stake, and they have agents and handlers.

12 minutes ago, oblong said:

When it comes to managers I go by what the players say.  Especially Sparky it seems like his guys really admired him.  Fryman named his son George and Tram and Gibby talk him up a lot.  Managers don't teach them to play.

But that role has changed over the years as we have more analytics and the players have gotten "bigger".  Before I think a big part of their job was on the babysitting side of things.  Curfews, rules, etc.  Now the players are their own corporations and know how to take care of themselves, millions of dollars are at stake, and they have agents and handlers.

I think you could say the same for Leyland I know the 84 guys thought hghly of him