Dan Campbell and Coaching Staff Discussion Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

2 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

What a horrible take.  He has already proved he isn’t the meathead people thought.  

He won 3 games and we've got people christening him like he's going to be Andy Reid because he took over play calling and won a few games. Look, I think there is no coach that could win with this roster. But let's pump the breaks on hyping him up like's an offensive genius or anything close. We went up to week 10 with people ready launch this guy out of a cannon and now he's suddenly he's a hero.

If he hired Anthony Lynn than that failure is laid at his feet as a bad hire. If you hire the wrong coordinators and the team struggles as a result it's your fault for bringing that guy in.

BTW I just saw a stat that said that Campbell set the NFL record for most 4th attempts and conversions in NFL history. I hope he continues to do that even if/when we become good cause I'm a firm believer that teams don't go for 4th downs enough or call plays with the expectation to use all 4 downs enough. Like if it's 3rd and 8, if you plan ahead of time that you are going to go for it on 4th down it opens up the entire playbook, you can run the ball for 4 or 5 yards or set up a short pass to set up the 4th and 3. My philosophy is you have 4 downs you might as well use them, the whole field position game is overrated unless you can pin the opposing team deep. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

He won 3 games and we've got people christening him like he's going to be Andy Reid because he took over play calling and won a few games. Look, I think there is no coach that could win with this roster. But let's pump the breaks on hyping him up like's an offensive genius or anything close. We went up to week 10 with people ready launch this guy out of a cannon and now he's suddenly he's a hero.

If he hired Anthony Lynn than that failure is laid at his feet as a bad hire. If you hire the wrong coordinators and the team struggles as a result it's your fault for bringing that guy in.

Didn’t matter who the coordinator was with this roster.  Lynn was a fine choice.  Will find a job easily next season.  What Campbell showed was that he could learn pretty quickly and that he could do the job better himself.  He learned that as the season went on so made the change.  And it worked.  He improved week after week.

At this point he should continue to call plays next season. I’d rather he not hire another play caller.  Just keep it.  That’s my preference.

Campbell’s growth had a exponential growth at the end of the season, where the lions finished 3-3 while beating two of the best teams in the NFC.  And you didn’t even mention the monumental shift in culture.  Team and fan buy-in in one season. C+ is PFF esque. 

• 2 weeks later...

I shared this with my family and my sister-in-law didn't know what this was a reference too (or forgot) so I shared this video from Dan Campbell's introductory presser.  It's only 25 second long and I'm sure you've heard it before, but take another quick listen: 

Now that the season is done... does it not feel like this was the Lions by the end of the season?  If nothing else I think that Campbell has put his imprint on the team.  Obviously it remains to be seen if he can lead them to a winning season and (dare we dream?) a playoff victory. But the team was gritty and (in most games) fought hard until the end.

With talent this team will win. I really criticized Campbell the first 65% of the season.  By the 3rd game of his play calling you could truly see the week to week improvement in his game management, clock use and aggressiveness.  And man, Glenn is a great compliment.  They did so much with so little. This off-season is so incredibly critical. Decent cap space (top 10), lots of draft capital and the ability to really add some talent to this roster.

Gonna be fun to see how Holmes approaches the off-season.  I hope Campbell continues to call plays next year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Flowers will be gone this offseason. They can release him post June 1st and save $16 million. He's good as gone. Vaitai is another one with a cap savings of $7 million with a post June 1st release. I don't believe the Lions will have many free agents who will net comp picks. Tracy Walker is probably the only one. I wouldn't mind seeing the Lions take a run at Marcus Williams. I would also see about bringing back Josh Reynolds. Other than that, I think they stand pat.