Dan Campbell and Coaching Staff Discussion Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

18 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Players absolutely love him.

This is why I find the Patricia comparisons absolutely laughable. Patricia's players quit on him at some point in each season. I would argue they quit on him before his 3rd season even began. Could you even imagine a scene like this in a Patricia locker room?

Campbell has taken a trash team to 1-10-1, but they're continuing to fight their hearts out for him every Sunday.

10 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

I guess it doesnt matter in a season when you're already 1-10-1..... But yeah Campbell needs to find a capable play caller for his OC.

Yes he is more successful at it than the previous guy was, so he needs to give it up. I follow you. 

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

Yes he is more successful at it than the previous guy was, so he needs to give it up. I follow you. 

Come on.  He needs to leave it to a professional.  He has called 4 or 5 games and has scored over 20 just once.  He is just as bad as Lynn was.  Neither are good. 

3 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Come on.  He needs to leave it to a professional.  He has called 4 or 5 games and has scored over 20 just once.  He is just as bad as Lynn was.  Neither are good. 

i dont know about campbell as a play caller.  some of his calls have left a lot to be desired imo.  that said, i think the lack of talent has a lot to do with that.

i think they were fortunate that the vikings gave them that game.  however, they are also unfortunate they havent won 3 or 4 games already.

I am of the opinion that being liked by players is one of the least important things for an NFL head coach.  I don’t think teams win because players like their head coach.  Some of the best coaches in the league are assholes that players put up with because they help them win.  

Patricia was a fraud and a terrible coach but he lost the team because they couldn’t win due to his incompetence with player acquisition and stupid scheme.  If they had a better record all those same complainers would’ve happily gotten on board with him.   

Great, I just reminded myself how colossally bad it was giving away Quandre Diggs for a 7th rounder.   Idiots.  

Edited by Hongbit

18 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

So two play callers couldn't get this team to score over 20 points you say? Maybe, and just follow me here for a minute, but maybe this offense just isn't talented? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont know about campbell as a play caller.  some of his calls have left a lot to be desired imo.  that said, i think the lack of talent has a lot to do with that.

Al Borges on a recent Michigan insider talked about how as a coordinator you look out at a defense and think "This is available and that is available", but then you look at what your personnel can execute and you  realize, "No, it's not....."

26 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I am of the opinion that being liked by players is one of the least important things for an NFL head coach.

This is true, but I think it's only part of the equation. It doesn't matter if a coach is loved, but it does matter if he knows how to get inside the heads of his players to get them to perform. Case in point would be Scotty Bowman. But I think there that if you cross the point where most of a team really thinks the coach is an A-hole, where they have 'dismissed' him so to speak, his chances of being able to manage, let alone motivate, that team probably do get a lot worse (e.g, Patricia or Mike Babcock at the end of his Det tenure).

Edited by gehringer_2

It all comes down to talent, ultimately, something the Lions don't have.

My reasoning for wanting Campbell to give up the playcalling responsibilities is this: unless the HC is an uncommonly talented offensive mind and play caller, he should hire an OC who is really good at it.

Campbell doesn't seem uncommonly talented at playcalling. 

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I am of the opinion that being liked by players is one of the least important things for an NFL head coach.  I don’t think teams win because players like their head coach.  Some of the best coaches in the league are assholes that players put up with because they help them win.  

Patricia was a fraud and a terrible coach but he lost the team because they couldn’t win due to his incompetence with player acquisition and stupid scheme.  If they had a better record all those same complainers would’ve happily gotten on board with him.   

Great, I just reminded myself how colossally bad it was giving away Quandre Diggs for a 7th rounder.   Idiots.  

its not that they like him that's important, its that they havent quit on him.

we'll see if they quit now that theyve won one game and got the monkey off their back.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, buddha said:

i think they were fortunate that the vikings gave them that game.  however, they are also unfortunate they havent won 3 or 4 games already.

If he gets this much out of the borderline NFL players on this roster, just think how good he could be with quality players. 

2 hours ago, buddha said:

its not that they like him that's important, its that they havent quit on him.

we'll see if they quit now that theyve won one game and got the monkey off their back.

Yeah when people say things like "they love playing for the guy" it doesn't necessarily mean that they love his personality or that he is a nice guy ie the Belechick example but it means that they are willing to go above and beyond for the coach.

Sometimes it is because they love the guy and he is a "player's coach" other times its out of respect, admiration and belief in the coach that they succeed if they go the extra mile like with Belicheck. Either way a coach that can get players to go all out no matter the situation for him is an incredibly valuable trait. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

16 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Players loved Caldwell.  And he got decent results.  Unfortunately, he was terrible at in game management.  Just win games. I don’t care about the rest.

Players liked Caldwell, but I don't know that he got the most out of them... Caldwell's ultimate downfall was that he was going 9-7 with a roster that should have gone at least 10-6, if not 11-5 or better... The solution obviously wasn't to hire someone who was neither liked, nor got the most of his players, nor had any business as an NFL head coach, but that's neither here nor there at this point.

The fact that the Lions are 1-10-1 but 8-4 ATS I do think speaks to Campbell's ability to motivate his players to perform to the best of their ability, even though they really stink. Outside the Bengals and Eagles games, the team has competed to the best of their ability in each game, even though that hasn't always been much.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah when people say things like "they love playing for the guy" it doesn't necessarily mean that they love his personality or that he is a nice guy ie the Belechick example but it means that they are willing to go above and beyond for the coach.

Sometimes it is because they love the guy and he is a "player's coach" other times its out of respect, admiration and belief in the coach that they succeed if they go the extra mile like with Belicheck. Either way a coach that can get players to go all out no matter the situation for him is an incredibly valuable trait. 

I’m not sure I buy this at all in the NFL.     Unlike the rest of the pro sports,  these contracts aren’t guaranteed.   80% of the players in the league are essentially playing for their jobs on a year by year basis.  If there is any motivation its that coaches hold the key to playing time and opportunity which in turn leads to whether they keep their jobs or not.  The large majority of the league are not stars and I think it is more self-preservation than respect or admiration that gets the best out of them.   They go the extra mile to put out good tape to stay on the roster or for other teams if and when they get cut or inured.    

Honestly, This is a difficult subject for this board since there are so many strong personalities that insist on being right and this debate has no way of being ever being proven correct in either way.   

5 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’m not sure I buy this at all in the NFL.     Unlike the rest of the pro sports,  these contracts aren’t guaranteed.   80% of the players in the league are essentially playing for their jobs on a year by year basis.  If there is any motivation its that coaches hold the key to playing time and opportunity which in turn leads to whether they keep their jobs or not.  The large majority of the league are not stars and I think it is more self-preservation than respect or admiration that gets the best out of them.   They go the extra mile to put out good tape to stay on the roster or for other teams if and when they get cut or inured.    

Honestly, This is a difficult subject for this board since there are so many strong personalities that insist on being right and this debate has no way of being ever being proven correct in either way.   

I look at it as being no different than any other profession and in other professions there's always that one boss who manages to get employees to go the extra mile or be more productive even if the employee may not stand for any financial gain by doing so.

Edited by RandyMarsh

On 12/9/2021 at 9:13 AM, Jason_R said:

That's poor logic. If the guy before you was only successful 1% of the time so you replaced him and you're successful 3% of the time, that's not a significant improvement and you should absolute try to find someone better.  Just because you're marginally better than the previous option doesn't mean you're automatically good.