World Politics Thread

mtutiger

45 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

IDK, he seems like a nice guy...

How much did we trade away to get Bowe Bergdahl back?  Expect this to be a show for the NK regime.  What do you want:  free ice cream for life?  Sure thing...that plus a seat at the UNSC?  Sure thing. 

On 7/19/2023 at 12:10 PM, romad1 said:

How much did we trade away to get Bowe Bergdahl back?  Expect this to be a show for the NK regime.  What do you want:  free ice cream for life?  Sure thing...that plus a seat at the UNSC?  Sure thing. 

I'd almost like to see the admin tell  NK "he's a criminal and a deserter, if you want him, you can have him" and see if they call the bet.

25 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

https://apple.news/ATiXe8I8-R4akar3gquy48g

‘No more cover-up’: Nazi concentration camps on Channel Island finally to be officially investigated

——————————————————-

Review could show that thousands more Jews and prisoners of war died on Alderney than previously thought

Everyday I learn something more about WWII and I've been reading about it for 50 years.  

10 hours ago, romad1 said:

Everyday I learn something more about WWII and I've been reading about it for 50 years.  

This is horrifying.  There is no end to the cruelty perpetrated by the Nazi regime…. And we seem to be currently staring AGAIN into the dead eyes of this kind of murderous philosophy. 

1 hour ago, smr-nj said:

This is horrifying.  There is no end to the cruelty perpetrated by the Nazi regime…. And we seem to be currently staring AGAIN into the dead eyes of this kind of murderous philosophy. 

Worship of strength is one of the phenomena behind the appeal of fascism.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Law and Justice lose their majority in elections in Poland. They may not go gently into that good night, but still a promising step for democracy in Poland.

As long as elections are free and fair and the media is not clamped down, fascism will usually lose.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In an outcome that is a surprise to no one, the far right anti-Islam Party for Freedom won more seats than any other party in national elections in the Netherlands. 

In the immediate postwar years thousands of Dutch people emigrated to Canada and took up farming, and every rural crossroads in Southern Ontario has a Dutch Reform church on it.  And though I am always reluctant to assign personality characteristics to entire ethnic groups (I will leave that to my in-laws) the Dutch Reform church in Southern Ontario is a shining beacon of white supremacy.

On 11/22/2023 at 10:15 PM, Jim Cowan said:

In an outcome that is a surprise to no one, the far right anti-Islam Party for Freedom won more seats than any other party in national elections in the Netherlands. 

In the immediate postwar years thousands of Dutch people emigrated to Canada and took up farming, and every rural crossroads in Southern Ontario has a Dutch Reform church on it.  And though I am always reluctant to assign personality characteristics to entire ethnic groups (I will leave that to my in-laws) the Dutch Reform church in Southern Ontario is a shining beacon of white supremacy.

The Boers in South Africa were fairly much that too. 

8 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes and I think that they probably still are

So, the ideological underpinning of Dutch Reform church is Calvinist, correct?  Only a certain elect (pre-determined) group are getting into heaven?  If that's your outlook...fairly easy to move into chauvinism for your own (tribe, race, college football team) as the elect.  

13 minutes ago, romad1 said:

So, the ideological underpinning of Dutch Reform church is Calvinist, correct?  Only a certain elect (pre-determined) group are getting into heaven?  If that's your outlook...fairly easy to move into chauvinism for your own (tribe, race, college football team) as the elect.  

fair point

7 hours ago, romad1 said:

Yes that probably sums it up.

20 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

pre-destination is one of those wonderfully self-leveraging theologies. They say you can't pull yourself up by your own bootstraps - theology is probably a salient exception to the rule.

I've always thought of the whole born-again thing as being related to this.

Their thing is, you can't earn your way into heaven—only by the blood of Jesus after you've accepted him as your Personal Lord and Saviorcan you ensure your spot in heaven. But the flip side of that is, and must be, that once you are saved, you can't earn your way out of heaven, either. That must mean by definition that a saved person can sin in the worst ways imaginable until the second they die, but as long as they've accepted Christ, they're perpetually golden. I guess that's why the concept that being a cruel MAGA is an unChristian way to behave bounces right off their deaf ears, because acting in we've come to believe as being "Christian" was never the point for them. Being a saved Christian is not an act, it's a condition, and if you can never lose it except by explicitly rejecting Christ, what's the incentive to act "Christian"?