World Politics Thread

mtutiger

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

I've always thought of the whole born-again thing as being related to this.

Their thing is, you can't earn your way into heaven—only by the blood of Jesus after you've accepted him as your Personal Lord and Saviorcan you ensure your spot in heaven. But the flip side of that is, and must be, that once you are saved, you can't earn your way out of heaven, either. That must mean by definition that a saved person can sin in the worst ways imaginable until the second they die, but as long as they've accepted Christ, they're perpetually golden. I guess that's why the concept that being a cruel MAGA is an unChristian way to behave bounces right off their deaf ears, because acting in we've come to believe as being "Christian" was never the point for them. Being a saved Christian is not an act, it's a condition, and if you can never lose it except by explicitly rejecting Christ, what's the incentive to act "Christian"?

I think what the man actually said on the matter is that you'll know a tree by it's fruit. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think what the man actually said on the matter is that you'll know a tree by it's fruit. 

The irony is that they don’t appear to care what The Man said if it doesn’t suit the purpose they already had in mind going in. The Bible is a big book and there’s a lot in it to ignore in the service of making a point.

Rolling Stone: Henry Kissinger, War Criminal Beloved by America’s Ruling Class, Finally Dies

Henry Kissinger should have been jailed for either treason or war crimes. **** that guy, I feel no sympathy towards him and am glad he's gone. He should have spent his remaining years in a prison cell. It's only too bad the victims of his war crimes, the Vietnam Veterans like my father, and those servicemembers who lost their lives as a result of him extending the war, couldn't see justice brought. **** Kissinger and **** him for what he did trying to prolong the Vietnam War so Nixon could look like a hero.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

5 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I see that King Jughead of England has, predictably, flown a private jet to the COP summit to lecture everybody about the environment. 

Probably a little much to expect world leaders and other high profile people to take Spirit.  

3 minutes ago, MIguy said:

Probably a little much to expect world leaders and other high profile people to take Spirit.  

He's not a world leader and his presence at environmental events is farcical.  He should stay home and wave from the balcony, and his children should get jobs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

He's not a world leader and his presence at environmental events is farcical.  He should stay home and wave from the balcony, and his children should get jobs.

I get it, you don't approve of the royal family but that doesn't mean they don't have influence in matters such as these.  

20 minutes ago, MIguy said:

I get it, you don't approve of the royal family but that doesn't mean they don't have influence in matters such as these.  

They have no influence whatsoever, they have almost none in their own country.  England has been trying for almost 80 years to preserve some sort of relevance internationally, to little effect.  The Foreign Office needs their heads examined for continuing to send these clowns out there.

9 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

They have no influence whatsoever, they have almost none in their own country.  England has been trying for almost 80 years to preserve some sort of relevance internationally, to little effect.  The Foreign Office needs their heads examined for continuing to send these clowns out there.

This is kind of like arguing that US money has no value since there is no gold standard anymore.   The crown is still the head of state, thus it's ambassador.  

25 minutes ago, oblong said:

but does anybody with the authority and ability to set policy listen to them?  

It would be like us sending  Lebron James over there.

I would gather that depends on who the PM is, they do meet weekly and discuss all matters.  This would actually be more akin to sending Jane Hartley over to the UK, who doesn't have the authority or ability to set policy and we have no idea if those that do have that power listen to her.  

1 hour ago, oblong said:

but does anybody with the authority and ability to set policy listen to them?  

It would be like us sending  Lebron James over there.

No they don't.  They are house pets whose continued existence is justified only because of some alleged positive influence on tourism. Being a non-executive "head of state" is a ceremonial role.

• Like 1