World Politics Thread

mtutiger

Xi is either crazy or getting really bad advice from his medical science people.

Xi doubles down on zero Covid

It's not going to go away, he needs to get his country's immunity rate up to where he can accept that it has become part of the background 'normal flora' for the human speices so his country can get on with its life. Given the state of understanding of the virus today, Zero-Covid remains a completely foolish and very economically costly windmill tilt. Seems like Xi may intent on proving he will be able to run China into the ground faster than Putin ran Russia into it.

This report really drives it home.... after 45 or so days of Liz Truss, the Conservative Party will get another crack at an unelected leader getting the car keys.

And unless Charles wants to break some serious precedent and put the Crown at risk, not much anyone can do about it.

31 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

This report really drives it home.... after 45 or so days of Liz Truss, the Conservative Party will get another crack at an unelected leader getting the car keys.

And unless Charles wants to break some serious precedent and put the Crown at risk, not much anyone can do about it.

Krugman wrote a column the other day where he raised the interesting question about why what he calls 'zombie economics' - meaning economic policy that has been shown to be a thoroughgoing failure but which refuses to die,  was so thoroughly rejected by the British body politic, yet is still the holy grail of the US right.

I would offer the suggestion that the difference is publicly funded elections, but what do I know?

The other aspect of Truss' crash is that it's seems to have given some oxygen to British EU advocates. You're starting to see calls for Britain to try to rejoin. I don't know how far that would actually go to solve any of their problems but something to watch if the sentiment grows.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The other aspect of Truss' crash is that it's seems to have given some oxygen to British EU advocates. You're starting to see calls for Britain to try to rejoin. I don't know how far that would actually go to solve any of their problems but something to watch if the sentiment grows.

the EU would IMO tell them to eff off. Because in 10-15 years, another referendum would lead to them re-exiting.

57 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - I saw one conspiratorial take to the effect that Johnson pushed hard for Truss, expecting her to fail, so that he would have a better chance of regaining party leadership. Even if true I doubt having it blow up this quickly would have been the plan!

The rumors appear to be that he plans on throwing his hat in the ring...

Problem there is that the Conservative Party needs a leader who can rebuild trust... he seems like the worst option on that front.

My son has a friend from high school whose name happens to be Rishi.  I asked him to ask his buddies if they ever expected their buddy to end up as one of a handful of nuclear powers and to have control over a permanent seat on the UN Security Council.

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

My son has a friend from high school whose name happens to be Rishi.  I asked him to ask his buddies if they ever expected their buddy to end up as one of a handful of nuclear powers and to have control over a permanent seat on the UN Security Council.

Oh, that guy?  Yeah I remember him from Stanford, and then we both ended up at Goldman Sachs for a while.  He was a striver, wanted to hang with the group of us who actually had real money.  Married a rich girl I think.

55 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Oh, that guy?  Yeah I remember him from Stanford, and then we both ended up at Goldman Sachs for a while.  He was a striver, wanted to hang with the group of us who actually had real money.  Married a rich girl I think.

We knew this was going to happen because my son happens to be unstuck in time.  He saw all this from Tralfamador.