World Politics Thread

mtutiger

18 minutes ago, buddha said:

i mean, the american revolution is very important in world history, but did not have the immediate impact of the french revolution, which, as you point out, upended 1000 years of monarchy (more or less) in europe's biggest, most powerful nation and set off a series of wars and revolutions that changed europe (and inspired other revolutions all across the globe).

but america was the first.  and the first to establish a "modern" nation based solely on the rights of its citizens, not on a particular tribe or a particular geographical place.  

It's not like England's role in world history is ever under-stated, but you do have to give old England some credit. The seeds of the revolution had been planted long before 1776 - it was in the fact that all those royal colonial charters allowed the growth of the democratic structures and habits that the new nation codified on a larger stage. A different colonial power might never have allowed local democracy to get off the ground in the colonies.

37 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's not like England's role in world history is ever under-stated, but you do have to give old England some credit. The seeds of the revolution had been planted long before 1776 - it was in the fact that all those royal colonial charters allowed the growth of the democratic structures and habits that the new nation codified on a larger stage. A different colonial power might never have allowed local democracy to get off the ground in the colonies.

maybe.  spain exercised more direct control.

i give more credit to the colonists than the english.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Is that you Tomi Lahren?

I am automatically suspicious of anyone who flings around terms like “communist agenda” and “global elites” unironically. It seems designed to fool people who are not critical thinkers that they actually know something nobody else does. I also feel as though people like this person are acting as front line troops for a different set of elites, and bonus, a lot of people probably listen to her mainly because they want to **** her.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I am automatically suspicious of anyone who flings around terms like “communist agenda” and “global elites” unironically. It seems designed to fool people who are not critical thinkers that they actually know something nobody else does. I also feel as though people like this person are acting as front line troops for a different set of elites, and bonus, a lot of people probably listen to her mainly because they want to **** her.

Do you even follow the situation in Denmark? 

30 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’m interested in how what’s happening in Denmark is indicative of the communist agenda of global elites.

I was pointing to the political struggle. Not your "Gotcha moment" on the tweet source......... I grew up on a family farm, it is a real struggle. Throw new gov't restrictions and you lose your way of life, not ideal.