World Politics Thread

mtutiger

2 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I was pointing to the political struggle. Not your "Gotcha moment" on the tweet source......... I grew up on a family farm, it is a real struggle. Throw new gov't restrictions and you lose your way of life, not ideal.

I wasn't talking about farmers at all—only about the phrasing the woman used.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Northeastern Afghanistan is Tajik territory.

The same guys who overthrew the Taliban in 2002 (under Massoud it was all Tajik in the "Northern Alliance"; but grew quickly after his assassination and with American funding/ expertise/ special ops to include some other Anti-Taliban tribes...).

You'd think that after a few hundred years of this nonsense, they would by now have decided on a line between Tajikaganistan and Pashtunaganistan and called it a day.

3 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Well, she had a good run….. 

I loved to see pics/video of her driving. I think that’s when she wore a true smile. Also when she was walking with her corgis. 

I doubt anyone has had a better run in the entire history of the British peoples.  God save her and good luck Charles. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

You'd think that after a few hundred years of this nonsense, they would by now have decided on a line between Tajikaganistan and Pashtunaganistan and called it a day.

It would not bother me to extend current day Tajikistan into any predominant Tajik territory in Afghanistan, and lop off the rest of it as Pashtunistan as you say. The Taliban are all Pashtun... the only issue is that there is a chunk of Pakistani territory that is mostly Pashtun also so there will always be troubles fomenting there... But if you combined the two Pashtun territories I believe that would extend all the way to the Indian Ocean and therefore give them a modicum of economic viability... Maybe enough to throw off the Taliban extremists... although, that could backfire...

Separate issue... but I have long wanted to carve out a Kurdistan for the Kurds. The largest culture/ ethnicity without its own country. Northern Iraq, eastern Turkey (no wonder they're always attacking the Kurds...), northern Syria, and northwestern Iran. I would give them a land bridge to the Black Sea and to the Caspian Sea.

But that's just me.

7 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

The Taliban are all Pashtun... the only issue is that there is a chunk of Pakistani territory that is mostly Pashtun also so there will always be troubles fomenting there..

Of course the problem is that if you separated a nation out of Afghanistan based on Pashtun ethnicity, they would want their piece of Pakistan to go with it - and so it would go. There's hardly any end to the story once you start subdividing enclaves. The curious thing is that in Europe, centuries of warfare eventually did force ethnic separation, so by the 20th century things had calmed down in terms of ethnic wars (other than Yugoslavia) - which gave them the luxury of having ideological ones. (:classic_laugh:). In areas where the Ottomans or Mongols ruled, they had a different system where you had parallel ruling jurisdictions operating for different religious groups in the same geography. But once those old poly jurisdictional regimes collapsed, it left all kinds of people who didn't want to be ruled by each other in highly mixed geographies and the fallout still drives a lot of the conflict in places like Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, and to a degree Afghanistan.

3 hours ago, smr-nj said:

Well, she had a good run….. 

I loved to see pics/video of her driving. I think that’s when she wore a true smile. Also when she was walking with her corgis. 

And communing with her horses, which is the job she really wanted in life ...

Bridle, Halter, Horse, Rein, Horse tack, Equestrian helmet, Horse harness, Horse trainer, Recreation, Horse supplies,

• Like 1