Lions 2022 Offseason Thread

TP_Fan

ESPN was talking about possible replacements for the Bucs if Brady retires and Goff was brought up. In fact they said he may be one of the more realistic options for them that won't break the bank.  I don't really know what the Bucs free agency or cap situation looks like, but assuming they bring back most of the players they have I don't think Goff would be the worst option for them. As he has shown in the past he can win if he has the talent around him. 

43 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

ESPN was talking about possible replacements for the Bucs if Brady retires and Goff was brought up. In fact they said he may be one of the more realistic options for them that won't break the bank.  I don't really know what the Bucs free agency or cap situation looks like, but assuming they bring back most of the players they have I don't think Goff would be the worst option for them. As he has shown in the past he can win if he has the talent around him. 

They took trask in the second round last year. He costs like a penny, Goff does not.

I think the Lions needs include a WR1 and a WR3. Amon-Ra St. Brown has instilled enough confidence in my mind to be the WR2 of the future.

If I had to pick one from the draft and one from free agency, I would prefer the WR1 is picked up in the draft. Adams is 29, Mike Williams is 27, and Godwin is soon to be 26. If the hope/plan is to be okay in 2022, good in 2023, and great in 2024 and beyond, I don't think signing a top-tier receiver to a multi-year deal where they'll be in their 30s by its completion is wise. Unless they are Larry Fitzgerald, we are using their best years of production in that deal on a year or years where we know pretty well that we are not going to be competing for a Super Bowl, and by the time we (hopefully) are, they are no longer their old self.

With that in mind (and my hope that they use the late 1st or early 2nd on a WR), I'd like to see Christian Kirk or DJ Chark signed in free agency on a two- or three-year deal. Both of them can be serviceable, but don't have to be the guy that we will hope our draft pick turns into. Allen Robinson and Michael Gallup would be worth a look for that role too, but if they want Detroit to overpay or get locked in for too long because we are Detroit, I would pass.

The Rams are going to be $14 million over the cap and need to sign guys like OBJ and Von Miller plus give Stafford and extension. What are the chances they decide to part ways with Robert Woods? He's on the wrong side of 30 and coming off a serious so many the Rams let him go and he can be signed on a short term contract. Seems like a natural fit to reunite him with his old pal Goff. 

ESPN put out a list of which teams have the best assets to improve in the offseason and the Lions finished 9th(Jags were 1st).

They used projected cap space and  draft capital the next the two years as the criteria.  Honestly I would've thought we be a little higher but there were a few teams like us who have multiple 1sts coming in but their's were of course higher than the 31st or 32nd that we will be receiving. 

Just go with Ben Johnson. You had a good thing going with Goff last year, lets see if it continues into this year. Remember, Stafford had a big year in 2011 and then regressed. He was around the same age as Goff when the Lions promoted Jim Bob Cooter and Stafford elevated his game and became a more accurate passer. I also think there is something to continuity in coaching. Lets see if Campbell and the Lions can develop coaching talent. 

On 2/2/2022 at 9:12 PM, buddha said:

rumors of matt nagy as the new oc?

please lord no.

I understand why there is interest. Nagy was QB Coach and then OC of the Chiefs from 2013-2017 while they bridged their franchise with Alex Smith until they drafted Mahomes. They’re probably curious if he could work with Goff in the same way that had a lot of success with Smith.

There is also probably interest now because I’m sure Pederson and the Jaguars will take him if the Lions don’t. There are connections between Pederson and Nagy that go back to Nagy’s entrance to the league as an assistant to the quality control personnel (including Pederson).

If they do end up signing him, just remember that a lot of good coordinators make for god awful Head Coaches, and we shouldn’t burn him at the stake before he gets a chance to do anything.

16 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I understand why there is interest. Nagy was QB Coach and then OC of the Chiefs from 2013-2017 while they bridged their franchise with Alex Smith until they drafted Mahomes. They’re probably curious if he could work with Goff in the same way that had a lot of success with Smith.

There is also probably interest now because I’m sure Pederson and the Jaguars will take him if the Lions don’t. There are connections between Pederson and Nagy that go back to Nagy’s entrance to the league as an assistant to the quality control personnel (including Pederson).

If they do end up signing him, just remember that a lot of good coordinators make for god awful Head Coaches, and we shouldn’t burn him at the stake before he gets a chance to do anything.

nagy looked great when he had andy reid and patrick mahomes.

when he went to chicago he was terrible, and the bears offense was better when he gave up play calling duties.

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

nagy looked great when he had andy reid and patrick mahomes.

when he went to chicago he was terrible, and the bears offense was better when he gave up play calling duties.

Mahomes never started under Nagy, it was all Alex Smith. Yes, he had Reid, but the line of reasoning that X had Y and Y was great eliminates a lot of quality coaches for just ones with bad mentors.

Nagy also was the play-caller over Reid for parts of his two seasons as OC and did really well. Pretty sure Alex Smith played out of his mind during a stretch of Nagy’s OC tenure.

14 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Mahomes never started under Nagy, it was all Alex Smith. Yes, he had Reid, but the line of reasoning that X had Y and Y was great eliminates a lot of quality coaches for just ones with bad mentors.

Nagy also was the play-caller over Reid for parts of his two seasons as OC and did really well. Pretty sure Alex Smith played out of his mind during a stretch of Nagy’s OC tenure.

nagy was in charge of the offense with the bears.  he couldnt make it work with trubisky and blamed the lack of offense on that.  bears then traded for foles and signed dalton because nagy thought he needed a veteran who knew the offense.  it still didnt work.

then he called plays when fields was in charge and he looked awful.  when nagy gave up the play calling, fields looked much better as they got him out of the pocket and moving, things to take advantage of fields' natural ability and lessen the influence of the bears' terrible o line.  things that seemed obvious to everyone but nagy never did.

look, maybe he's great.  maybe he'll be better with the lions.  maybe he's just there to help with a structure campbell has in place and campbell will continue to call the plays.  but when nagy was in charge in chicago, the bears were not good, and his play calling was a big reason why.

13 minutes ago, buddha said:

nagy was in charge of the offense with the bears.  he couldnt make it work with trubisky and blamed the lack of offense on that.  bears then traded for foles and signed dalton because nagy thought he needed a veteran who knew the offense.  it still didnt work.

then he called plays when fields was in charge and he looked awful.  when nagy gave up the play calling, fields looked much better as they got him out of the pocket and moving, things to take advantage of fields' natural ability and lessen the influence of the bears' terrible o line.  things that seemed obvious to everyone but nagy never did.

look, maybe he's great.  maybe he'll be better with the lions.  maybe he's just there to help with a structure campbell has in place and campbell will continue to call the plays.  but when nagy was in charge in chicago, the bears were not good, and his play calling was a big reason why.

For what it's worth, from the outside looking in, I would also prefer Ben Johnson. 

If you evaluate him only as a coordinator and position coach though, Nagy has been pretty good. There is a reason the Bears hired him. On the whole, he was awful as a Head Coach. There is a long list of people who are awful as head coaches but pretty good to great coordinators, and Nagy could very well fit into that list.

My only point at the end of the day is that he shouldn't be ran out of town before his flight lands if he's Campbell's ultimate pick. There is a track record to defend the pick, and Campbell has shown that he's not afraid to cut loose of people pretty quickly (Lynn) if it's not working out.

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Apparently Dave Wannstedt is saying the Lions hired Matt Nagy. Not sure how reliable he is, but if Bill Belichick knew who the Giants were hiring, maybe Wannstedt has inside info being a former Bears coach. 

This came out after Wannstedt said that on the Colin Cowherd podcast.

I've also seen other journalists say that Wannstedt "incorrectly reported" the hiring. With the smoke, Nagy was probably interviewed. But I think that's far from hired.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Apparently Dave Wannstedt is saying the Lions hired Matt Nagy. Not sure how reliable he is, but if Bill Belichick knew who the Giants were hiring, maybe Wannstedt has inside info being a former Bears coach. 

dave wannstedt also said harbaugh had a signed contract with minnesota last friday.  he also said kansas and iowa state were going to the big ten right after oklahoma and texas jumped to the big 12.

dave wannstedt is wrong all the time.  he's a dumb ass.

I know Wannstedt coached Pitt so maybe he does have some knowledge of this but he also said last week after a mock had the Steelers taking Pickett that Rooney and the Steelers would never take him cause they dont like taking Pitt guys cause they feel it puts too much pressure on them from the start. 

I thought that was an asinine reason not to take somebody but I didn't know Wannstedt's reputation so perhaps he is wrong about that too.

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I know Wannstedt coached Pitt so maybe he does have some knowledge of this but he also said last week after a mock had the Steelers taking Pickett that Rooney and the Steelers would never take him cause they dont like taking Pitt guys cause they feel it puts too much pressure on them from the start. 

I thought that was an asinine reason not to take somebody but I didn't know Wannstedt's reputation so perhaps he is wrong about that too.

he has a spot on the radio here every friday morning.  trust me, he doesnt know shit.

one of my friends texted me after wannstedt said harbaugh had signed a contract with the vikings and told me "you're in luck, harbaugh is definitely not going to the vikings now."

and lo and behold...