Lions 2022 Offseason Thread

TP_Fan

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

He'll be back in a year or two. Brees is gone and the Saints are in a terrible mess salary cap wise. He probably decided to bail on that train wreck. My prediction, barring some Super Bowl run, Mike McCarthy is fired and Payton is brough back to Dallas. 

this.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

He'll be back in a year or two. Brees is gone and the Saints are in a terrible mess salary cap wise. He probably decided to bail on that train wreck. My prediction, barring some Super Bowl run, Mike McCarthy is fired and Payton is brough back to Dallas. 

Probably will happen but it won’t be that easy. New Orleans owns his rights for 3 more years and will absolutely force Dallas to give up significant draft capital to make it happen.    On a side note, this is maybe the one head coaching job your boy Aaron Glenn may get a real shot at.   

8 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Probably will happen but it won’t be that easy. New Orleans owns his rights for 3 more years and will absolutely force Dallas to give up significant draft capital to make it happen.    On a side note, this is maybe the one head coaching job your boy Aaron Glenn may get a real shot at.   

I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry Jones ponied up a 1st round pick ala a Jon Gruden type deal with Tampa. 

Oh I totally could see him doing that and if you believe in Payton it would be well worth it. Dallas is fortunate to be set at several key positions so they are a team that can afford to lose a top draft pick or two and to me when you're in that position that's a small price to pay to get a premium HC that can lead you to a Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Oh not suggesting he would, just saying that IF it was something stress related and he was just burned out from the high demands and responsibility of being a HC that being a OC here wouldn't be a bad option for him in that regard.  But yeah it's totally not gonna happen and Im 90%sure he's just going to head to tv.

Yeah, he's not going to be OC anywhere. To MB's point, he's under contract.

And he's stepping away because he's burnt out.

If anything might work, it would be doing work as a "Consultant". I'm not certain how that works contractually. But let's say we hire an OC, internal or otherwise (but especially if internal); and we asked Payton to help us design plays/ an offensive scheme/ whatever... and it could be multi-year work... But he wouldn't be an official part of the team and the scope of work and amount of work (contracted hours) would be limited.

Probably a few teams might be interested in Payton on that basis. 

To be clear, in case it wasn’t, my comment about him being OC was in jest. I think the most likely role for Payton next year is on FOX or NBC. I think some of it is burnout, but is easy to be burned when you’re standing as close to a dumpster fire as he is. The Saints need to press the reset button in a major way. With what he’s done with them over the last 16 years, he’s earned the right to say that he doesn’t want to be the HC of a team that goes 2-15, even if it’s needed.

if any NFL team picked him up for any role, the Saints would have to be compensated. I don’t think there is any way around that that isn’t shady and doesn’t come with the possibility of penalties if the NFL found out. He’s under contract with the Saints until he isn’t. While I would think that the Lions or whoever adding him as a consultant should cost less than the Cowboys or whoever hiring him as HC, I don’t know if there is anything (except knowledge that gaining something is better than nothing) to stop the Saints from asking for whatever their heart desires. I agree that it’s worth Campbell picking up the phone and talking to his old friend at the very least, even if he knows the answer before it starts ringing.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Payton says he "100% won't retire and come back in a year" so unless he goes back on his word or pulls some sorta shenanigans like coming back 13 months later(technically it wasn't just a year) then it appears Dallas or whomever may have to wait a little bit for him. 

I believe that was a quote from Rodgers, not Payton.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm all about signing Marcus Williams. We need a talent all around in the secondary and we need a Safety in the worst way to move Harris to the bench. Williams has familiarity playing under Aaron Glenn and if he is available you'd have to think Glenn would be pushing Holmes to sign him.

18 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I really would like  atleast 1 more year of Glenn working with our young DBs but I would be happy for him if he got a HC job.

I think he is deserving of it, there may be a few guys more deserving based on longer track records but based on what he did here with the guys he had to work with I think he proved he is a great coach. It's hard to understate just how little of talent we had out there yet on most occasions the defense atleast looked fairly respectable.

Not to be a debbie downer, but if I was a Front Office guy I'd be wary of hiring a guy who only have one year of DC experience, especially on a 3-13-1 team.  Don't get me wrong: I've very happy with the job that Glenn has done and I want him to stick around.  I just think looking at it from outside that I'm not sure there's enough evidence that Glenn will be a long term good guy.  

But the NFL is a very "what have you done lately" sorta place so it wouldn't surprise me if Glenn is hired. 

17 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

If Glenn is hired by the Saints (or anyone), I believe we would receive a 3rd round comp pick in 2022 and 2023. Would make losing him a little easier, though I would still like to keep him.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this or not, but I think the coach has to have been with the team for at least two years in order for compensation to be given.

16 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Its a good thing we got MCDC when we did cause if he stayed there he surely would've been a prime candidate.

That's a good point... Maybe that's why he's retiring... Campbell must of have the real brains and drive behind the success they had in NOLA and now that he's gone it's too much work on Payton.

23 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Not to be a debbie downer, but if I was a Front Office guy I'd be wary of hiring a guy who only have one year of DC experience, especially on a 3-13-1 team.  Don't get me wrong: I've very happy with the job that Glenn has done and I want him to stick around.  I just think looking at it from outside that I'm not sure there's enough evidence that Glenn will be a long term good guy.  

But the NFL is a very "what have you done lately" sorta place so it wouldn't surprise me if Glenn is hired. 

Only hiring from good teams is how you end up with guys like Matt Patricia. Mike Vrabel was defensive coordinator for only one year. The Texans were 4-12 in that year. Their defense ranked dead last in the NFL. He was still hired and went on to become a successful head coach. Teams should expand their search into teams with bad records to find coaches getting the most out of their players. 

30 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Only hiring from good teams is how you end up with guys like Matt Patricia. Mike Vrabel was defensive coordinator for only one year. The Texans were 4-12 in that year. Their defense ranked dead last in the NFL. He was still hired and went on to become a successful head coach. Teams should expand their search into teams with bad records to find coaches getting the most out of their players. 

I'm not saying only hire from good teams, I'm saying that I want to see more from a guy that one seemingly successful year as a DC.

Vrabel obviously was successful, I'm sure there are other examples of one-year coordinators who became successful HCs.  But I suspect that over all there are a higher percentage of multi-year coordinators who became successful HCs vs. one-year coordinators.

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

So here is the Giants owner basically telling his management that Daniel Jones is the QB. I don't suspect Sheila is forcing Goff on management nor telling them who and when to draft a QB.

Well, he's already signed through the 2022 season. The big question is whether they will pick up his fifth year option. Seems that Mara was leaning toward it before hiring the new guy and seems like he is leaning toward it after hiring the new guy. I wouldn't commit to him for 2023 and maybe they won't. But it seems like they'll go with him for 2022.

But this may not be meddling so much as giving the new GM cover. Worry about hiring a new coaching staff, but don't worry about whether you should pick a new QB in the draft. If Jones can't succeed under a new staff, ownership will take the heat. Spend your top picks on OL/DL and if 2022 is a disaster we will pick a QB at the top of that draft.

I must be Daniel Jones good luck charm cause Ive probably watched maybe 5 of his games and in all those games he looked pretty good to me and I could see the potential. 

Then I see his overall stats and the views from football people way more knowledgeable than me and I realize that those are just outlying performances. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I must be Daniel Jones good luck charm cause Ive probably watched maybe 5 of his games and in all those games he looked pretty good to me and I could see the potential. 

Then I see his overall stats and the views from football people way more knowledgeable than me and I realize that those are just outlying performances. 

He’s got lot of tools and could be good if he ever learns how to take care of the football.  He plays way too careless.