Lions 2022 Offseason Thread

TP_Fan

I think the league views Wentz more favorably than Goff or at the very least they have more confidence that they can maximize his potential but with that said I wonder if Washington made any calls to the Lions for Goff and if they wouldve been willing to offer up anything close to what they gave up for Wentz?

If they did I certainly would have pulled the trigger, we would still need a stop gap until our qb of the future gets drafted but in that case we could sigh somebody like Bridgewater or hell even Trubisky on a short term deal. 

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Grandy Jury is supposed to make a decision this week on Deshaun Watson. If he is legally cleared, even if he is a scumbag personally, do you pick up the phone and call if you are Brad Holmes? What kind of offer are you willing to make for Watson?

I wouldn't, I mean I would if I knew he could be had for a ridiculously low price but if he's cleared he's likely going to make the Wilson return look like peanuts and at that price its just way too risky given his character. He may be cleared this time but who knows when the next time will come. 

50 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Grandy Jury is supposed to make a decision this week on Deshaun Watson. If he is legally cleared, even if he is a scumbag personally, do you pick up the phone and call if you are Brad Holmes? What kind of offer are you willing to make for Watson?

if you only knew what athletes did, you wouldnt want any of them on your team.  lol.

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

i would take deshaun watson in a heartbeat on the lions.  hopefully the price gets so low they can make an affordable trade.

Would you trade a package similar to what Denver gave up for Wilson? That likely means giving up 2-3 1st round picks including the #2 this year and the Lions 1st next year.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Would you trade a package similar to what Denver gave up for Wilson? That likely means giving up 2-3 1st round picks including the #2 this year and the Lions 1st next year.

Yes. He's only 26 years old (three days older than Mahomes) and has already shown an ability to be a top-five QB in the NFL. I'm already prepared to give up three 1sts next year to move up for Stroud or Young, so I absolutely would do so for a proven commodity. We might not be as good this year as we would be with a #2 and #32 pick on the roster, but it should definitely be worth it long-term.

I would want him to pass a physical first, being that he's been out of football for a full year now, but I would go so far as to offer Goff (plus 1/2 his cap hit for 22), Okudah, #2, #32, 2023 DET 1st, and 2023 DET 3rd... Too far beyond that (especially giving up a 4th first-round pick), and I would start to worry about our ability to build a team around him, particularly with finding playmakers.

I also think with all of this said, it's very unlikely he ever comes to Detroit. Damn would it be fun to throw him in Bears fans faces twice a year though.

4 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

no....

....maybe.

Edited by buddha

14 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Assuming his legal troubles go away tomorrow,  will the league let missing all of last year suffice as his punishment even though it wasn’t an official suspension or will they officially suspend him for many games to start the year?  I’m not sure if there’s been any clarity on that.     If he’s cleared then I’d trade almost everything that I had for him.   

If I knew with a fair certainty that nothing like this would happen again Id trade basically whatever for him, cause securing a young elite qb is worth just about anything in this league but as an outsider Im not that certain which is why I wouldn't. 

If I had better insight into the whole situation and him as a person I may feel different but without knowing Im not willing to mortgage the teams future for him despite how great he is on the field. 

Now if it "only" cost this year's 2 1sts and say a mid draft pick then sure Id be willing to take that risk but if you're talking about giving up 1sts for the next several years like I suspect it would take I just can't do that at this moment. 

18 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Assuming he just got cut. 

Kinda saw that coming, he's a cautionary tale of putting too much stock into things like pressures, pass rush win rate and other metrics if the guy doesn't have a history of actually finishing the play and getting the sacks. Cause according to those metrics he was borderline elite by those metrics before we got him and iirc even a year or two with us but as we saw he never really made a major impact on the field save for a few game stretch his first season here. 

Perhaps his pressures helped create sacks for Okwara which is the reason he broke out, you'd have to go back and review it but even if that's the case with the money he was being paid you'd expect him to actually get more sacks himself. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

8 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

This. They may have done him the courtesy of informing him he wouldn’t be with the team for fall camp, but he won’t be formally cut until June.

This is saying he will be released on the first day of league year.  Does that mean the same thing?

9 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

This. They may have done him the courtesy of informing him he wouldn’t be with the team for fall camp, but he won’t be formally cut until June.

Each team is allowed 2 players that can be cut before June 1st but still carry a post June 1 destination for cap purposes.