Lions 2022 Offseason Thread

TP_Fan

12 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’m a little confused as to why they are bringing back so many parts from a defense that was horrible last year.  

yeah....getting the band back together for a bad defense wasnt what i had in mind when i thought they might improve next season...

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

They’re bringing people back but they’re not really paying them. Walker is the only one who’s received starting money, and $8M yearly isn’t going to break the bank for a starter.

I’d have preferred a two eyear deal for Walker but I’m not bent out of shape over bringing him back.

You have to see what the details are on Walker's contract. It's 17 million guaranteed so I'm guessing it's basically a 2 year deal. 

With regards to the other signings, you need filler and special teamers. I'm encouraged that basically everyone wanted to return to the Lions. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Kind of interesting that of all the defensive players the have re-signed, the one they haven't re-signed is Charles Harris. Hopefully that's because they aren't going to break the bank on a guy that had a decent season. The rest of the guys they signed were just filler except for Walker. 

With them cutting Flowers and Okwara coming off an achilles injury its a little surprising that he wouldn't be a priority.  Besides possibly having their eye on other NFL options Perhaps this is a sign that they plan on going DE at 2 whether it be Hutch, KT or the guy from Georgia as well. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

41 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Yeah that Benson deal is looking like a clunker. Hopefully Holmes doesn't do that again. 

Holmes was complimentary of Benson earlier this offseason and claimed that they anticipated Benson to be a project player who wasn't ready in 2021. Granted, he has to say that because he traded for him and Benson was not ready in 2021.

I would expect Benson to compete for WR5/6. If he is eventually released, it will definitely go down as a clunker of a trade. At the same time though, had we just drafted him in the 5th round last year and then released him in the second year of his rookie deal, I don't think many would bat an eye.

Shad Kahn and Jacksonville are starting out free agency with a trio of outrageous contracts with Christian Kirk becoming the third highest paid WR in the league according to report and then signing DT Foley Fatukasi and LB Foyesade Oluokun to big deals. Trent Baalke was a subpar GM in SanFran and it appears to be no different in Jacksonville. Only now he's got a dumb owner spending like a drunken sailor to aid him on.

Shad's son is better at running AEW than his dad is the football team.

8 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Kirk’s deal probably does throw a bit of a wrench into the WR market. Robinson likely will want more than him now, and will probably ultimately be told “go ask Jacksonville then”

he'll get more than kirk.

41 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The AFC West just keeps getting better, I do worry about ex NE guys though, particularly ones that NE doesnt put much effort in keeping. Trey Flowers is exhibit A of this.

ask stephon gilmore and malcom butler.

or maybe more appropriately, ask the teams that signed them.

as lions fans, we should know all too well the folly of trying to replicate the performance of patriots outside of new england.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

The AFC West just keeps getting better, I do worry about ex NE guys though, particularly ones that NE doesnt put much effort in keeping. Trey Flowers is exhibit A of this.

When you play with all those elite weapons and QBs in the AFC West you have to load up on D and with playmakers of your own if you're the Chargers.