Lions 2022 Offseason Thread

TP_Fan

25 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I would love to get Myles Jack as long as it didn't involved a crazy contract.

It will take whatever money they had thought about for Williams and more.    He was on a 4/$57M deal.   Just an outside guess is it would take 4/$72M.    

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

I would like to see the guarantees but that is probably a little more than I would have liked to have paid. 

One lions beat writer thought he would get 3/24 on the market.  This comes in under that and only a 2 year deal with the cap expected to jump considerably.  I like the deal.  Short and of fine value. 

I thought this defense was terrible last year and needed a number of upgrades going forward.  I’m not sure what I’m missing but apparently the team thinks otherwise since they have been resigning so many of the same players.    

I honestly don’t get it.  

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I thought this defense was terrible last year and needed a number of upgrades going forward.  I’m not sure what I’m missing but apparently the team thinks otherwise since they have been resigning so many of the same players.    

I honestly don’t get it.  

They have signed the guys that actually played well.  Harris and Walker were guys I wanted to keep. Anzalone is on a backup deal. The real infusion will come from the draft.  They have done nothing to stunt the rebuild and have kept good players that have bought into the direction of the team. Holmes is doing a really nice job. 

Edited by TP_Fan

I love the Chark signing, they needed a speed guy desperately. I preferred him over Kirk anyway. I'm glad Holmes didn't do much on crazy day yesterday.

And I don't hate the Reynolds deal anymore after seeing the terms. Basically if he remains a 4th receiver he'll get like 2 million a year. I originally thought the Reynolds deal would preclude a contract like this.

Harris and Walker we’re both decent last year. I’m not opposed to signing these guys back but they also need to add additional playmakers that can step in now and improve the defense.    Keeping the the same guys without adding is just running it back with the same crappy defense.   

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I honestly don’t get it.  

I think the upgrades are coming, likely mostly through the draft. We couldn't just abandon the entire defense because they were bad though. Harris was decent last year, as was Walker. Above replacement value at least, and those are the only two who have received starting money (and not even playmaking starting money at that).

The players who were re-signed at or below replacement level (Anzalone, Dion Hamilton, Elliott, Woods, and Moore) received depth or fringe starting money, which is fair. The hope for them is likely that they won't be put in a starting role unless there are injuries. Guys like Anzalone probably won't be a starter on a playoff team, but can be a very serviceable backup or rotational player.

I didn't think they would go after Harris because the have Romeo Okwara coming back. And they are in a position to draft Hutchinson if he falls, or Thibodeaux. Plus Julian was kind of coming on last year towards the end of the season.

Maybe they feel Hutchinson won't fall, or they have their eyes on someone else at 2.

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Harris and Walker we’re both decent last year. I’m not opposed to signing these guys back but they also need to add additional playmakers that can step in now and improve the defense.    Keeping the the same guys without adding is just running it back with the same crappy defense.   

The nfl draft is a thing. 

Just now, Stanley70 said:

I didn't think they would go after Harris because the have Romeo Okwara coming back. And they are in a position to draft Hutchinson if he falls, or Thibodeaux. Plus Julian was kind of coming on last year towards the end of the season.

Maybe they feel Hutchinson won't fall, or they have their eyes on someone else at 2.

I’m all about trading down and picking up another 1st for next year and an extra 2nd this year.  

3 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

Okwara is coming off an Achilles injury. Those aren't easy to come back from. He is in no way a sure thing next year.