Lions 2022 Offseason Thread

TP_Fan

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

Nobody has said this.   

So then why were you complaining about the Lions re-signing two defensive players from last year? Your whole point was why bring back the same players that led to a 31st ranked defense. If they let Walker and Harris walk, they would be even worse than last year. 

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

So then why were you complaining about the Lions re-signing two defensive players from last year? Your whole point was why bring back the same players that led to a 31st ranked defense. If they let Walker and Harris walk, they would be even worse than last year. 

Nope.   Here are my thoughts.   They have not upgraded their defense.   

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I thought this defense was terrible last year and needed a number of upgrades going forward.  I’m not sure what I’m missing but apparently the team thinks otherwise since they have been resigning so many of the same players.    

I honestly don’t get it.  

Harris and Walker we’re both decent last year. I’m not opposed to signing these guys back but they also need to add additional playmakers that can step in now and improve the defense.    Keeping the the same guys without adding is just running it back with the same crappy defense.   

They are going to need to immediately hit on a lot of picks to improve the 31st rated defense just through the draft.  

The Lions have only brought in one new player, Chark on a very good deal. Walker and Harris were ok last year and got modest short term deals that look to be fair. Anzalone received less than 2 million. 

Now they can get to the defense. And then 3 of the first 4 draft picks will probably be on defense as well.

An additional aspect of the Chark signing I like is that it gives us a real chance to better and more fully evaluate Goff. Goff wasn't good for a lot of last season, but in his defense, he really had no one to throw to. As St. Brown developed and we picked up Reynolds, we saw Goff improve by quite a bit.

Can he fully utilize a deep threat like Chark? Or will Chark be handicapped in the routes he can run?

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Walker was playing very good ball last year. He was hitting very hard. And then hitting even harder. I would say it was very important keeping him. Very glad we kept him. A++

I expect Goff to be an average QB next year. He has a very good O-line, a couple WR's, a nice TE, and a running game. Of course with that kind of supporting cast he should be better than average. 

Hopefully the Lions can get the QB of the future in this draft or next off season. And then with Goff actually looking competent in that offense they can get rid of him and actually get a decent pick back.

1 minute ago, Stanley70 said:

I expect Goff to be an average QB next year. He has a very good O-line, a couple WR's, a nice TE, and a running game. Of course with that kind of supporting cast he should be better than average. 

Hopefully the Lions can get the QB of the future in this draft or next off season. And then with Goff actually looking competent in that offense they can get rid of him and actually get a decent pick back.

When Goff had that kind of supporting cast, he was a Pro Bowler and went to the Super Bowl. 

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Jacksonville had the 29th ranked defense so we probably shouldn't sign Jack. I mean, who wants a LB that even Jacksonville doesn't want? 

but jack is good.

anzalone is not good.  in fact, he was bad last year.

harris was good, but was it a fluke.  we'll see.

walker was fine.  not great.  not bad.

the lions secondary had some decent games last year.  their linebackers were very poor.  their defensive line was - in general - not great, especially against the run.  mcneill was good, but onzuwerike, penisini, brockers, williams were not.  they need to upgrade all those positions.

we'll see how the draft goes and if they address it again there, but again, right now theyre just running it back with the front seven that got thrashed last year and hoping okwara is 100% from an achilles.

but its still early, plenty of time to add people.

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

but jack is good.

anzalone is not good.  in fact, he was bad last year.

harris was good, but was it a fluke.  we'll see.

walker was fine.  not great.  not bad.

the lions secondary had some decent games last year.  their linebackers were very poor.  their defensive line was - in general - not great, especially against the run.  mcneill was good, but onzuwerike, penisini, brockers, williams were not.  they need to upgrade all those positions.

we'll see how the draft goes and if they address it again there, but again, right now theyre just running it back with the front seven that got thrashed last year and hoping okwara is 100% from an achilles.

but its still early, plenty of time to add people.

Anzalone signed for $1.75 in guaranteed money. He signed for backup money. He is in no way a future piece or blocking someone better from playing. His contract in no way guarantees him a starting spot. 

Onzuwerike was a rookie. You seriously talking about upgrading already? 

Walker signed a contract that would be of one is fine but not great. You also didn't want them to sign Marcus Williams but then say they are just running back the same team. 

I think the Lions are also hoping for some progression within with the likes of Levi, McNeil, J Okwara and maybe Barnes. If they get a couple of those guys to progress, along with an impact defender at 2 and possibly another solid one later on in the draft then the defense may look alot better. 

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think the Lions are also hoping for some progression within with the likes of Levi, McNeil, J Okwara and maybe Barnes. If they get a couple of those guys to progress, along with an impact defender at 2 and possibly another solid one later on in the draft then the defense may look alot better. 

Don't forget Melifonwu who missed a lot of time to injury. They drafted 4 defensive players last year within the 1st 4 rounds last year. There's reasonable expectation to expect improvement from them. They have three picks within the first 34 picks. Probably at least 2 will be defensive players. 

With their cap situation they had enough for one bigger name and a bunch of mid and lower priced guys. The question was would they get a receiver or a defensive piece. I am fine with adding a receiver and seeing if Goff can get back to being competent.

Pride of Detroit said they have about 9-10 million left. They may add another piece on defense, but if won't be significant unless the create some cap space.

Edited by Stanley70

4 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

With their cap situation they had enough for one bigger name and a bunch of mid and lower priced guys. The question was would they get a receiver or a defensive piece. I am fine with adding a receiver and seeing if Goff can get back to being competent.

Pride of Detroit said they have about 9-10 million left. They may add another piece on defense, but if won't be significant unless the create some cap space.

Releasing Flowers will give them some cap room.