Lions 2022 Offseason Thread

TP_Fan

12 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Today is the day!   FA legal tampering starts at 12pm.   Signings can be made official on Wednesday. 

Excited to see what Brad & Co. are going do next.   Would love Marcus Williams and Russell Gage or DJ Chark.     Not interested in Christian Kirk or Allen Robinson.  

I think every poster here is all in on Marcus Williams. He is such a perfect fit for us. Knows Glenn and Campbell well, talented as hell, scheme fit, culture fit. I really think he is our one, splashy free agent signing this week.

I'm with you on Allen Robinson and don't want him brought in. If next season were one where he had our QB in place, the rebuild was wrapping up and we were ready to compete I'd be ready for it. But we are not. I don't think I want any of the top-tier Wideouts in this years free agency class. I'd rather push my chips in on a younger, cheaper player in the draft and hope he develops well.

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Re-signing Boyle probably doesn't completely rule out taking a QB early, but it could be an indication that they are trending that direction. You don't pay $2.5M to a 3rd string QB.

$2.5 mil with incentives could be a $1 mil base if he doesn't play.

7 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Re-signing Boyle probably doesn't completely rule out taking a QB early, but it could be an indication that they are trending that direction. You don't pay $2.5M to a 3rd string QB.

Agree on the 3rd QB money but they could still cut him at that price and not have it be a factor in their cap.   

16 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Agree on the 3rd QB money but they could still cut him at that price and not have it be a factor in their cap.   

Likely true. Like I said, I think it's more indicative of a trend than anything definitive. If they were already determined on taking Willis at #2, they wouldn't have offered Boyle in the first place.

18 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Another very good linebacker is hitting the open market.

looks like the lions are bringing anzalone back.  not sure how many other roster spots they will have for expensive linebackers, especially if they run it back with reeves maybin too.

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

looks like the lions are bringing anzalone back.  not sure how many other roster spots they will have for expensive linebackers, especially if they run it back with reeves maybin too.

Anzalone only made $1.75M last year and I can't imagine he would get much of a raise. JRM's cap hit was even less. I think those are the guys they don't mind bringing back for depth and to maybe compete for a starting role, but I don't think they would prohibit a free agent signing, if that's the direction the team decides to go.

I really don't care for bringing back Anzalone and Boyle, but it's encouraging that all the Lions top restricted free agents re-signed and their unrestricted free agents re-signed so far. It seems to indicate the Lions are a team players want to play on and none of the contracts seemed like enormous contracts they couldn't have gotten elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Another very good linebacker is hitting the open market.

De'vondre Campbell, the Packers other top LB, was the other big free agent target I wanted outside of Marcus Williams. Smith is certainly intriguing given that he had 12.5 sacks just two years ago and was highly productive in his first year in Green Bay. He's 29 and about to be 30 I think, so I worry is he on the wrong side of 30 here soon. 

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think every poster here is all in on Marcus Williams. He is such a perfect fit for us. Knows Glenn and Campbell well, talented as hell, scheme fit, culture fit. I really think he is our one, splashy free agent signing this week.

I'm with you on Allen Robinson and don't want him brought in. If next season were one where he had our QB in place, the rebuild was wrapping up and we were ready to compete I'd be ready for it. But we are not. I don't think I want any of the top-tier Wideouts in this years free agency class. I'd rather push my chips in on a younger, cheaper player in the draft and hope he develops well.

I guess I don't understand this logic. I don't see the harm in building a good offense around Goff. I still contend Goff is Alex Smith like and you can still win with him. You can then move on from him at any time and insert a young QB into an already good offense. Plus, building up Goff would only make him more valuable in a trade much the same way Kansas City was able to trade Smith for a draft pick. Another option is once the Lions have the offensive pieces, they could do what the Rams or Broncos did and go for broke on a veteran QB. Robinson is intriguing as he may be willing to give a hometown discount and play on more of a prove it type deal. 

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I guess I don't understand this logic. I don't see the harm in building a good offense around Goff. I still contend Goff is Alex Smith like and you can still win with him. You can then move on from him at any time and insert a young QB into an already good offense. Plus, building up Goff would only make him more valuable in a trade much the same way Kansas City was able to trade Smith for a draft pick. Another option is once the Lions have the offensive pieces, they could do what the Rams or Broncos did and go for broke on a veteran QB. Robinson is intriguing as he may be willing to give a hometown discount and play on more of a prove it type deal. 

We will see what Robinson signs for but I see him getting a huge deal from someone since this FA WR market is so thin.  

I'm not opposed to spending money on pieces on the defense (including Williams), but in building a team I think you need to have an eye on what wins in the NFL, both now and moving forward. That is the offense. When you look at the top teams in the NFL (Rams, Bengals, Chiefs, Bills, etc.), the name of the game is offense over defense. With guys like Mahomes, Burrow, and Allen in their mid-20s, that shows no sign of slowing down soon.

Despite the ineptitude of the Lions defense last year, I think only 2, 3 tops, of the first five picks we have should go to addressing the defense. Get someone who can rush the passer, get someone who can help neutralize an opponent's playmaker, and then weaponize your offense. Get yourself playmakers on offense and just plain outscore your opponents. If you're scoring 30+ points every game, you don't need your defense to move mountains. They just need to hold their own and limit mistakes.

The same goes for free agency. If you have $X to spend, don't spend it all on the defense and expect them to hold opponents to single digits. No matter how good those pieces are, that's just not practical in 2022 NFL.