Lions 2022 Offseason Thread

TP_Fan

That Kirk contract is an absolute eyesore. It's honestly one of the biggest overpayments I've ever seen, pure lunacy.

Not a big fan of the Walker re-signing because it almost certainly takes them out of the Williams sweepstakes but perhaps they were never after Williams in the first place.

It's probably better off that they're not likely making any big signings because they're not ready to compete for anything next season anyway. 

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

That Kirk contract is an absolute eyesore. It's honestly one of the biggest overpayments I've ever seen, pure lunacy.

Not a big fan of the Walker re-signing because it almost certainly takes them out of the Williams sweepstakes but perhaps they were never after Williams in the first place.

It's probably better off that they're not likely making any big signings because they're not ready to compete for anything next season anyway. 

Why would it take them out of the Williams sweepstakes? 

52 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Why would it take them out of the Williams sweepstakes? 

I don't think they're wiling to spend near $25M on safties alone (Williams is going to likely be north of $15m, basically the rest of their cap space would go to Williams. I think it was a Walker or Williams situation and they chose Walker.

Edited by NYLion

I think Harris is an interesting case because the decision surrounding whether to re-sign him (assuming it is not solely about money) could speak to greater draft and scheme strategy, as well as the confidence the team has in Julian Okwara.

With their publicly stated move to a base 4-3, you would assume Romeo Okwara would return to the line, where he's had a great deal of success in his career. Take the edge rusher presumably selected early in the draft and your defensive line actually looks pretty decent as R Okwara, McNeill, Brockers, and (Hutch/Thib/Walker/etc), with Levi rotating in for McNeill and Brockers.... I think it's likely that J Okwara remains an OLB, presumably next to Barnes at ILB, and a second OLB (Harris? Another draft pick?).

That said, if there is enough confidence in Levi to take more snaps alongside McNeill in the middle of the line (or if there is a plan to add someone like Jordan Davis - though I don't think there is), you could theoretically keep R Okwara back, leaving either Harris or J Okwara without a starting role. Alternatively, even if there is just more flexibility in the planned defensive packages (i.e., they are basing things more off of the nickel where there are only two LBs on the field), there are going to be situations where you are left with one too many guys between Harris and the two Okwaras.

If the team sees Julian Okwara as a cheaper version of Charles Harris, it's understandable that they wouldn't want to pay Harris starting money for an 3+ year contract. I think of everything I just laid out, a 4-3 of R.Okwara/McNeill/Brockers/Rookie - J.Okwara/Barnes/Harris is the most talented option presented on paper, but if Campbell and Glenn envision more nickel looks than would make that scheme worthwhile, far be it for me to argue.

2 hours ago, NYLion said:

I don't think they're wiling to spend near $25M on safties alone (Williams is going to likely be north of $15m, basically the rest of their cap space would go to Williams. I think it was a Walker or Williams situation and they chose Walker.

i hope they dont.  that's a ton of money for the last line of defense.  i'd rather they focus on the front lines of the defense.

or get a receiver.

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Late to the party this morning but excellent move. Draft a WR1 and the wide receiver room goes from ugly to pretty decent looking.

I really wouldn’t mind the lions trading down to 9 or 10, picking up another 2nd this year and a first next year.  Draft Garrett Wilson and let’s roll.  You could use 32, 34 and the newly acquired extra 2nd on defense. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I have a feeling Charles Harris is not coming back, especially if we're going all in for Marcus Williams. Adding up the $10 million you just gave Chark up front and assuming we're going aggressively after Williams, where does the money come from for Charles Harris?

I'm glad the Lions are showing restraint so far on Harris. He was a bust coming into this season who then had a nice season. I would still be apprehensive about committing a lot to him right now. I would go all in on Marcus Williams. Tracy Walker signed effectively a two year deal. Williams is young and should be the future beyond two years. I wouldn't let Tracy Walker's contract deter me from signing Williams. You can backload Williams contract if you have to.