Lions 2022 Offseason Thread

TP_Fan

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Anzalone signed for $1.75 in guaranteed money. He signed for backup money. He is in no way a future piece or blocking someone better from playing. His contract in no way guarantees him a starting spot. 

Onzuwerike was a rookie. You seriously talking about upgrading already? 

Walker signed a contract that would be of one is fine but not great. You also didn't want them to sign Marcus Williams but then say they are just running back the same team. 

well, i said they need to upgrade their defensive line.  apparently you missed all the other guys and just focused on the rookie so you could act incredulous at the suggestion.

onzuwerike needs to improve, but he's a young player so i hope he will.  everyone else in that rotation other than mcneill needs to be upgraded.

11 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think the Lions are also hoping for some progression within with the likes of Levi, McNeil, J Okwara and maybe Barnes. If they get a couple of those guys to progress, along with an impact defender at 2 and possibly another solid one later on in the draft then the defense may look alot better. 

Plus, if we improve our offense, it won't put as much stress on the defense. Field position and time of possession are under-rated stats. Remember Wayne Fontes firing Mouse Davis because we were "scoring too quick?" Lmao

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

Plus, if we improve our offense, it won't put as much stress on the defense. Field position and time of possession are under-rated stats. Remember Wayne Fontes firing Mouse Davis because we were "scoring too quick?" Lmao

and then brought in two tight ends and they sucked again.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

well, i said they need to upgrade their defensive line.  apparently you missed all the other guys and just focused on the rookie so you could act incredulous at the suggestion.

onzuwerike needs to improve, but he's a young player so i hope he will.  everyone else in that rotation other than mcneill needs to be upgraded.

No I didn't miss that and agreed with you on those other players. I mentioned Levi because I disagreed they need to upgrade him yet. You literally said they needed to upgrade Levi's position. 

People act like there isn't a draft coming up where the Lions have 3 picks in the top 34 and the best players available at #2 are defensive players. They will literally have their choice of starting pass rusher or safety at #2. 

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

No I didn't miss that and agreed with you on those other players. I mentioned Levi because I disagreed they need to upgrade him yet. You literally said they needed to upgrade Levi's position. 

People act like there isn't a draft coming up where the Lions have 3 picks in the top 34 and the best players available at #2 are defensive players. They will literally have their choice of starting pass rusher or safety at #2. 

With the signing of Walker, maybe we won't be tempted to taking a safety at #2. I've read there hasn't been many safeties taken that early in the draft. Getting consistent pressure on the opposing QB can make our secondary look much better and also create more turnovers.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

When you are rebuilding, its important to take advantage of all opportunities to improve.   They have elected to do nothing to enhance what they have on defense at this point of free agency.   In my opinion, this is a wasted opportunity.  

They obviously feel much better about the talent on their current roster than what the numbers showed last year.   I’m concerned as overrating  your own talent is one of the big culprits for bad teams staying bad for a long time.  

Edited by Hongbit

6 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

When you are rebuilding, its important to take advantage of all opportunities to improve.   They have elected to do nothing to enhance what they have on defense at this point of free agency.   In my opinion, this is a wasted opportunity.  

They obviously feel much better about the talent on their current roster than what the numbers showed last year.   I’m concerned as overrating  your own talent is one of the big culprits for bad teams staying bad for a long time.  

This is how you end up with players like Trey Flowers.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

well, ive said repeatedly that there is a draft and they're not finished yet, so im not sure who is saying that.

1 hour ago, Stanley70 said:

The Lions as a team needed to improve. They just didn't have enough cap space to fill all the holes they had. And they can still add a player or two of they want to.

The Packers are 42 million dollars over the cap. The Bucs are 11 million over. The argument in the Free Press this morning was the better teams find creative ways around the cap.

20 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Number of teams focusing on their own early on. 

5 of these teams made the playoffs last year.   3 are still actively involved in the DeShaun Watson trade sweepstakes.   1 is owned by Daniel Snyder and has Martin Mayhew as GM.    

Edited by Hongbit

I wonder if Rodgers coming back changed the Lions strategy at all? Perhaps if he would've left the division the Lions may have saw an opening and spent some money to try to expedite their timeline but since he didn't they figured the smart thing would just be to stay the course and open up the wallet at another time. 

I'm fine with what they did. I had a feeling that they wouldn't make the big splash signings that some were craving for. I would have loved Marcus Williams at the contract he got with Baltimore but I knew he was out once they signed Walker and I doubt he would have signed with the Lions for that (relatively) cheap.

The contract that has me shaking my head is Raymond at 2yrs $9m, lets hope that it's an incentive laden contract with a lower caphit because that's a shit ton for what will likely be the #6 receiver here if they draft one high. Other than that, I like the Chark signing as a low risk high reward and the Walker and Harris contracts are reasonable. This isn't the offseason to blow their wad on free agency so I'm ok with the slow build approach.

Edited by NYLion

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

I'm fine with what they did. I had a feeling that they wouldn't make the big splash signings that some were craving for. I would have loved Marcus Williams at the contract he got with Baltimore but I knew he was out once they signed Walker and I doubt he would have signed with the Lions for that (relatively) cheap.

The contract that has me shaking my head is Raymond at 2yrs $9m, lets hope that it's an incentive laden contract with a lower caphit because that's a shit ton for what will likely be the #6 receiver here if they draft one high. Other than that, I like the Chark signing as a low risk high reward and the Walker and Harris contracts are reasonable. This isn't the offseason to blow their wad on free agency so I'm ok with the slow build approach.

raymond has to be a heavily incentivized deal or else it makes no sense.  if they draft a receiver, raymond probably wont even make the team.

4 hours ago, Hongbit said:

This is not obvious at all. 

Instead, it is obvious they did not spend $70 million on a safety. They did not spend $70 million on an edge rusher. They did not issue a major contract because it is obvious they are not one piece away. 

It is obvious that FA is not done. They can still sign players that will fill holes or upgrade positions. But it is obvious they do not want to set the market.

It is also obvious that they can plug in 2-3 new starters next season from the draft. Maybe even 4.