Lions 2022 Offseason Thread

TP_Fan

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

They are going to need to immediately hit on a lot of picks to improve the 31st rated defense just through the draft.  

The defense showed massive improvement as the season progressed.  They were hit with ungodly amounts of injury with everyone playing for new coaches.  Based on that, and expecting them to add talent in the draft, I would feel comfortable saying this will be a top 20 defense next year. In year 2 of the rebuild, that’s a good place to be.  There is a reason Glenn is going to be an NFL head coach. 

To put it in perspective, the defense before Campbell and Glenn arrived gave up the 2nd most points in NFL history. The defense Glenn inherited was worse than the 0-16 Lions defense. On top of that, they lost their top corner and best pass rusher to an Achilles injury and not to mention the other myriad of injuries. They also drafted two defensive lineman, a LB, and a CB last year. I'm sure they're expecting development out of those players as well. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

1 minute ago, TP_Fan said:

The defense showed massive improvement as the season progressed.  They were hit with ungodly amounts of injury with everyone playing for new coaches.  Based on that, and expecting them to add talent in the draft, I would feel comfortable saying this will be a top 20 defense next year. In year 2 of the rebuild, that’s a good place to be.  There is a reason Glenn is going to be an NFL head coach. 

I respect your opinion and maybe it will turn out to be correct but I do think this is a Lion fan pipe dream.    (Calvin Johnson/Rob Sims weed in that pipe btw)

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Damn! This sucks! It's not like end of the world sucks, but Williams was the perfect fit for our team and our coaching staff. Oh well, Safety looking more likely in the draft now. I just hope they don't have aspirations of drafting Kyle Hamilton at #2. 

This is the perfect year to trade down. 

1 minute ago, TP_Fan said:

This is the perfect year to trade down. 

I'm still on the take Hutch or Thibs wagon at #2, but now I'll add Trevon Walker into that mix. If they can get one of the three still by trading down, I'm all about it. But I still want the Lions taking one of those three players.

It's the perfect year for the Lions to trade down but other teams are looking at the same set of players and thinking the same thing. The one thing we have going for us is the Texans sitting right behind us so if a team does fall in love with a QB they may want to make sure they get a head of them. 

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm still on the take Hutch or Thibs wagon at #2, but now I'll add Trevon Walker into that mix. If they can get one of the three still by trading down, I'm all about it. But I still want the Lions taking one of those three players.

I’m a hard no on Thibs at any pick, guy is gonna be a bust.  If hutch is there at 2, then ok.  Walker will likely be there as far back as 10.

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's the perfect year for the Lions to trade down but other teams are looking at the same set of players and thinking the same thing. The one thing we have going for us is the Texans sitting right behind us so if a team does fall in love with a QB they may want to make sure they get a head of them. 

Like Seattle. 

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I thought this defense was terrible last year and needed a number of upgrades going forward.  I’m not sure what I’m missing but apparently the team thinks otherwise since they have been resigning so many of the same players.    

I honestly don’t get it.  

exactly how i feel.

the defense was terrible last yeae and the lions' response has been to bring all the players back and give them raises.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

exactly how i feel.

the defense was terrible last yeae and the lions' response has been to bring all the players back and give them raises.

It's not like they brought back Trey Flowers. They drafted 4 defensive players last year, will most likely draft a starting pass rusher this year, and are returning their top pass rusher and corner from injury. 

I think the guys they brought back thus far were productive guys, just cause the defense sucked as a whole doesnt mean every player did.  The Lions defense was horrible with guys like Slay and Diggs yet fans got mad when they got rid of them. 

I think the Lions figure to try to improve through the draft while keeping the players they thought were good. 

23 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

i wouldnt call it a massive improvement.  do you remember the eagles game?  or the broncos game?  or the seahawks game?

sure they looked fine against inept offenses like the browns and steelers and bears. but they got absolutely worked in a lot of those games in the second of the season.

the lions seemed like a "try hard" team last year (which campbell and co deserve a ton of credit for), but i dont know how well that will translate in the future.

otoh, theyre not done yet in free agency or the draft, and i think this is a recognition by the front office that they still have a long way to go before they start competing.

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It's not like they brought back Trey Flowers. They drafted 4 defensive players last year, will most likely draft a starting pass rusher this year, and are returning their top pass rusher and corner from injury. 

im not convinced okudah and okwara will be back to full strength next season.  achilles take a long time to fully recover.

i like the direction the franchise is headed.  let's see who they draft this year before we completely judge the offseason.  but so far, i see trouble ahead next year on defense without a lot of internal improvements.

• Like 1