Lions 2022 Offseason Thread

TP_Fan

16 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

The Lions now have 36 million in cap space before free agency, which is about 7th overall. The draft should account for about 15 million. They should able to land 1 big fish and leave enough to fill a number of other holes, of which there is a larger number.

The rumor at the combine, before the Reynolds signing, was that the Lions were looking at a top WR. The defense is the area that really needs help but i like the idea of getting Goff some pieces to work with and building his value.

Rogers comes up with $22m when all future considerations are factored in.    

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

They can also cut Vaitai with a post June 1st designation and save $7 million. 

Flowers was an obvious cut, I think Vaitai is more complex. I think if they can pickup one of the top three or four guards in the draft at #66, they may plug and play him and cut Vaitai.

Short of this, I think they’re also open to having a competition in camp. Nelson played really well in replacement of Ragnow. If he can start at RG at the same level of Vaitai, he’s a much cheaper option.

Otherwise, I don’t think they’re opposed to just playing it out with Vaitai at guard one more year. He’s not a bad option, he’s just being paid tackle money to play guard.

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Flowers was an obvious cut, I think Vaitai is more complex. I think if they can pickup one of the top three or four guards in the draft at #66, they may plug and play him and cut Vaitai.

Short of this, I think they’re also open to having a competition in camp. Nelson played really well in replacement of Ragnow. If he can start at RG at the same level of Vaitai, he’s a much cheaper option.

Otherwise, I don’t think they’re opposed to just playing it out with Vaitai at guard one more year. He’s not a bad option, he’s just being paid tackle money to play guard.

they can restructure his deal too.

11 hours ago, buddha said:

they can restructure his deal too.

For me that would depend on the nature of the restructure. I don't think Vaitai is in a position to accept less money, he played well last year. If we make a huge splash though and need the space (trading for Watson while covering Goff's 22 cap hit comes to mind), I would be okay making more of Vaitai's money guaranteed, to play with the cap, but I wouldn't want to increase our future obligation to him. If we stick with him at RG in 22, I don't want to force ourselves into the same commitment for 23.

4 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

For me that would depend on the nature of the restructure. I don't think Vaitai is in a position to accept less money, he played well last year. If we make a huge splash though and need the space (trading for Watson while covering Goff's 22 cap hit comes to mind), I would be okay making more of Vaitai's money guaranteed, to play with the cap, but I wouldn't want to increase our future obligation to him. If we stick with him at RG in 22, I don't want to force ourselves into the same commitment for 23.

i think the bidding for watson will be crazy.  the lions would probably need to trade goff, their #1's for the next two years plus the rams' number ones, and then maybe some other picks too.

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think the bidding for watson will be crazy.  the lions would probably need to trade goff, their #1's for the next two years plus the rams' number ones, and then maybe some other picks too.

I don't think it's at all likely, I was just posing that as a reasonable reason why we would need even more cap space despite having a ton as it stands.

I don't want to chase Watson.

We're still rebuilding this team. So if we are going for broke on a QB, I want it after this team is built sufficiently, regardless whether we go after a veteran or someone just coming out of college.

I don't mind paying the price... but I want to wait on paying that price until the last moment, when we're more certain of where this team stands and, whether that go-for-broke price is worth it.

11 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

We're still rebuilding this team. So if we are going for broke on a QB, I want it after this team is built sufficiently, regardless whether we go after a veteran or someone just coming out of college.

I don't mind paying the price... but I want to wait on paying that price until the last moment, when we're more certain of where this team stands and, whether that go-for-broke price is worth it.

I agree. If it turns into a bidding war, I'm not willing to entirely sacrifice the next two to three draft classes and set back the team any number of years. It would just turn us into what the Texans were before Watson left, and by the time the team was ready to compete, Watson's contract would be expiring and he would leave, practically bringing us right back to where we are now.

That said, I am fully willing to sacrifice the going price for a franchise QB. If we are picking #10-15 next year, I'm fully prepared to trade away three 1sts (our 1st, Rams 1st, and our 2024 1st) and change to whoever is at #1 or #2 to move up for Stroud or Young. If I'm willing to do that for someone who hasn't taken an NFL snap yet, it would be hypocritical of me to not do it for a proven NFL talent.

I think Holmes and company need to evaluate where we are, assess how far away we truly are, and make a fair judgement at the maximum we can give away to maintain the rebuild process moving in a positive direction (even if it slows slightly with the loss of a few 1sts). Don't engage if the price continues to climb beyond what you're comfortable losing.

Houston holds a lot of chips, but let's bare in mind this is also someone who practically quit on his team (though I think his reasons make sense) and it's someone who has been away from any organized structured team workouts and activities for over a year. Selling away the future for him would not be wise.

i dont think that's a "steal" for reynolds, but rather is a good contract for both sides because it values reynolds correctly.  the dude was on the scrap heap last season and had a couple good games for the last place lions.  he's a nice depth piece and is being paid accordingly.

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Watson has a NTC so the Lions are out anyway.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

Watson has a NTC so the Lions are out anyway.

I don't think it's that simple. None of the teams that would have interest in Watson are powerhouses (because, they don't have a QB).

Other than the Lions (who have not gained national traction as a suitor), the teams I have seen involved in the Watson talks are the Panthers, Colts, Vikings, Saints, Giants, Eagles, Steelers, Seahawks, and Buccaneers. I don't think any of those teams are in some perfect situation. They would all be markedly improved by the addition of a top QB, but they wouldn't become the perfect squad overnight. The Bucs might become Super Bowl favorites, but they're an aging team due for a rebuild soon. 

If a deal was reached between the Lions and Texans, I think Watson would strongly consider waiving the clause.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33483986/source-carolina-panthers-make-aggressive-offer-houston-texans-qb-deshaun-watson

According to this article is says the Texans are reportedly asking for 3 1sts, "other picks" and a current player.  If that were the case I think I'd be willing to deal our two 1sts this year, the Rams pick next year and maybe our comp pick and our 4th or 5th for him. Don't know what player they would ask from us though, but barring only a few guys I'd be willing to toss them in too.  I said before that I wouldn't want to mortgage the future for him but I don't think this would kill us long term. We'd still have an early 2nd and 3rd round pick this year and all our own picks next year.  

Edited by RandyMarsh

This is where I stand as the offer I would make.

DET receives: Deshaun Watson, HOU 5th

HOU receives: Jared Goff, $15MM towards Goff’s 2022 salary, Jeff Okudah, DET 1st, LAR 1st, DET 4th, 2023 LAR 1st

I would be somewhat flexible with the second player, but don’t touch my offensive line. I wouldn’t be opposed to that player being Swift either, though I’m sure some fans wouldn’t like that… I would also be somewhat flexible in the secondary picks, if they wanted to give a 4th for a 3rd or something…. I would not give up a 4th 1st Round pick. Hard line there.

54 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

If they spent three minutes and decided not to, I’m pretty okay with that. As long as they spent those three minutes. 😆

Someone is going to spend a lot of draft capital for him and a lot of money on him. They’ll probably even hire someone — a dude — to give him a massage every day. But he is not a luxury, or a PR challenge, that this franchise is remotely in the market for. 

Today is the day!   FA legal tampering starts at 12pm.   Signings can be made official on Wednesday. 

Excited to see what Brad & Co. are going do next.   Would love Marcus Williams and Russell Gage or DJ Chark.     Not interested in Christian Kirk or Allen Robinson.