Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I doubt it, I mean Javy has been here two years now and Mayer hasnt even gotten to AAA yet. The timelines simply don't match up. 

Yeah... I don't think Mayer, or Lawlar, "precludes" Baez AT ALL.

Different timelines as you've pointed out.

21 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

ESPN rated our farm system #3 and Baseball America had it at 5. There are many positives brought on by lesser-known prospects coming into their own which I am guessing is part of the jump.  

FGs does not have 2024 rankings out yet, but they were 25th at start of 2023 and moved up to 14th by mid-2023; based on their somewhat tepid top 31 prospect list, not sure FG will have them as a top 10 system.

In addition to Bigbie placing only as HM, this was the other surprising thing to me in FG list. If he can stay at SS, that would be great:

Unless you’re fearful that his present physicality is an indicator that he’ll eventually be too bulky to move around on the middle infield, McGonigle is a slam dunk shortstop with enough contact ability and plate discipline to have average everyday shortstop upside and a good utilityman’s floor.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

FGs does not have 2024 rankings out yet, but they were 25th at start of 2023 and moved up to 14th by mid-2023; based on their somewhat tepid top 31 prospect list, not sure FG will have them as a top 10 system.

In addition to Bigbie placing only as HM, this was the other surprising thing to me in FG list. If he can stay at SS, that would be great:

Unless you’re fearful that his present physicality is an indicator that he’ll eventually be too bulky to move around on the middle infield, McGonigle is a slam dunk shortstop with enough contact ability and plate discipline to have average everyday shortstop upside and a good utilityman’s floor.

It seems how publications value McGonigle affects our overall rating. Some value him very high and others very little at all.

4 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Maybe we could have an All-Stiff Infield shortly in the future?

1B - Tork

2B - Keith

SS - McGonigle

3B - Jung

I don’t know.  I suppose they can still play a weak side middle infielder close to the imaginary line from home to 2B and employ a shift that way for pulled ground balls which might help.  But I prefer range up the middle.  I think sacrificing too much defense to help out offense is a poor choice.  I’m not sure it’s easily quantifiable to figure out the correct balance point.

On 2/2/2024 at 2:01 PM, LongLiveMaroth said:

ESPN rated our farm system #3 and Baseball America had it at 5. There are many positives brought on by lesser-known prospects coming into their own which I am guessing is part of the jump.  

What a difference a year makes lol

• Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 6:11 PM, casimir said:

Sure, ok, make it happen.

PS: A little late... but I was just being facetious.

I was interested in what kind of commentary would come of that but... not much.

The 600 RBI's is way too much for that to be "in the ballpark". 400 would be outstanding. And "maybe" achievable? Too far in the future though as we still don't have a clue how these young hitters are going to turn out. Even including Tork.

20 hours ago, theroundsquare said:

Law kept JHM off the list because he hates the Tigers 

Haha, he did say though that if it was an offense only list he would clearly make it but the fact that he doesn't seem to have a position and may be destined to DH is why he made the "just missed" list. 

On 2/7/2024 at 10:29 AM, gehringer_2 said:

It is silly that baseball has definitions that don't line up.

The weird thing is that it's based on arbitrary top 100 lists.  There's really no difference between the 100th and 175th prospect.  It's an opinion.  And it's not an unbiased one.  

• Like 1

Because everyone is waiting for it Law ranks Tigers farm 6th. Below is what he had to say.

6. Detroit Tigers
No, really: The Tigers’ system is good, even with, frankly, a lot of misses still running around the system. Their last three first-round picks are all on the top 100, and they have a large group of players heading towards the majors who look like they’ll at least be regulars or back-end starters, guys like Josue Briceno who have positional questions but big bats or Brant Hurter who doesn’t look like a typical starter but keeps succeeding thanks to deception and control. The development of Colt Keith (No. 36) and Parker Meadows (No. 97) should give Tigers fans hope, as both guys were very much unfinished products when drafted — with Meadows showing a big hitch in his swing — and have evolved into complete players with the potential to help right now. I think it’s been some time since the Tigers had a success story like that.