Furry Friends

MY OBITUARY FROM WEDNESDAY --   Diego was a Rescue dog. He rescued me on 9/11/07 and every day since. The last 3 days were absolutely brutal, and today was torture waiting for 5:30 to come. The vet was right on time. I wouldn't trade a thing, I got over 5,400 great days and only a handful of bad ones (he had a 3 day ban from the inside the house due to catching a skunk in 2008). He loved everyone. He hated fireworks (not scared, but angry). He hated the lawn mower (but only when I cut the grass, when (my tenant) Paulie would cut it he didn't care).

Most of the people in my neighborhood knew his name, but not mine. He was an amazing ballplayer. He could catch tennis balls better than any dog I ever knew. In his younger days he could almost fly. Watching him jump over the back porch partition to go catch a ball was breathtaking. He loved playing goalie (foam balls, not shot hard). When we went for walks he did that border collie stalking thing where he got very low to the ground and walked very slowly towards his target (the dreaded evil being know as SQUIRREL). I loved watching him do that, that focus and concentration and intensity.  He never caught one, thank goodness. 

The night I took him home - at some point he jumped into the bed with me. When I woke up and let one go (you know what I mean) - a loud one - it startled him so much he fell out of the bed (mattress & box springs on the floor, no harm). That was the first time he made me laugh. 

When I was at work during the day, he'd jump up in the bay window and lay there and watch the world, it was his version of TV.  That's how the neighborhood got to know him.  He was good friends with the mailman.  His favorite words were SURPRISE LUNCH and WALK. and his least favorite words were SQUIRREL, RABBIT and HAIRCUT. I haven't traveled much in recent years so we rarely spent a night apart and he usually slept on the floor. In the morning when I would ask What Time Is It? it was his cue to lick my face until I got up.

I have never had a dog who was so good about not doing his business in the house, even on his last day, when he could hardly walk, he held it for nearly two days and walked down his hill and did his business. He was so good about it that even when he passed he did not release any fluids (most dogs do).

He loved fruit too, especially watermelon and cantaloupe. We had our own handshake sequence....."Give me five.......Other side.........Now up high." He loved to learn. He was my best friend, and not in the general sense of Man's Best Friend............He was literally my best friend. In his honor I will give another dog a great life in this house, which is not a home without a dog.

Thanks for listening. This makes me feel better.

------TODAY, 6:40 PM ------

2 days later still dealing with his ghost.   Because whenever I get up from the back room where I mostly hang out I keep going to his room (yes, he had his own room) or the living room to check on him.    When I grab a piece of flat bread to snack on I tear a couple small pieces off out of habit.  When I cut up some fruit to eat I still put a few small pieces aside for him.  It takes a minute to realize he's gone.    This has hit me harder than my father's death did. I don't know why.  Maybe because I had to schedule it and that just tears me up. 

Today I went back to work at the hospital (office) and I really needed to.  A lot of busy work, new inventory to unpack, kits to put together, it was the kind of work that was good for me but I had to stop a couple times to compose myself, just odd little things come up and remind me.  My bosses have been incredibly patient and supportive (women make better bosses in general).   Today was the first time I came home from work to an empty house in almost 15 years.     I know I'll start feeling better and when that next dog (or dogs) comes home I won't take a second for granted.     I know, I'm going on and on about this but my girlfriend does not live with me so it's just me here.........at least for now, but not for long.    I don't know how someone who loses a child can function after that, if a dog can do this to me.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up for those considering adoption. About 4 thousand beagles are becoming available from the hounds rescued from the breeding facility in SW Virginia. The Humane Society is partnering with numerous shelters across the country to help these pups to find good homes.

• Like 3

I am so happy for this girl.  Lucy will be 13 in a month, but for most of this year she has really been noticeably slowing down.  At her regular vet checkup in May she got a clean bill of help, but she was still just struggling - I attributed it to age.  In June, she broke some blood vessels in her ear, scratching it because of an infection & had to have surgery.  The vet prescribed an antibiotic, & after finishing it this week she is like a new dog!  Jumping, playing again, & she has that bright look back in her eyes.

We figure she might have had a UTI or something that went undiagnosed, & the antibiotic knocked it out. 

Lucy.jpg

• Like 6

On 7/8/2022 at 6:48 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

MY OBITUARY FROM WEDNESDAY --   Diego was a Rescue dog. He rescued me on 9/11/07 and every day since. The last 3 days were absolutely brutal, and today was torture waiting for 5:30 to come. The vet was right on time. I wouldn't trade a thing, I got over 5,400 great days and only a handful of bad ones (he had a 3 day ban from the inside the house due to catching a skunk in 2008). He loved everyone. He hated fireworks (not scared, but angry). He hated the lawn mower (but only when I cut the grass, when (my tenant) Paulie would cut it he didn't care).

Most of the people in my neighborhood knew his name, but not mine. He was an amazing ballplayer. He could catch tennis balls better than any dog I ever knew. In his younger days he could almost fly. Watching him jump over the back porch partition to go catch a ball was breathtaking. He loved playing goalie (foam balls, not shot hard). When we went for walks he did that border collie stalking thing where he got very low to the ground and walked very slowly towards his target (the dreaded evil being know as SQUIRREL). I loved watching him do that, that focus and concentration and intensity.  He never caught one, thank goodness. 

The night I took him home - at some point he jumped into the bed with me. When I woke up and let one go (you know what I mean) - a loud one - it startled him so much he fell out of the bed (mattress & box springs on the floor, no harm). That was the first time he made me laugh. 

When I was at work during the day, he'd jump up in the bay window and lay there and watch the world, it was his version of TV.  That's how the neighborhood got to know him.  He was good friends with the mailman.  His favorite words were SURPRISE LUNCH and WALK. and his least favorite words were SQUIRREL, RABBIT and HAIRCUT. I haven't traveled much in recent years so we rarely spent a night apart and he usually slept on the floor. In the morning when I would ask What Time Is It? it was his cue to lick my face until I got up.

I have never had a dog who was so good about not doing his business in the house, even on his last day, when he could hardly walk, he held it for nearly two days and walked down his hill and did his business. He was so good about it that even when he passed he did not release any fluids (most dogs do).

He loved fruit too, especially watermelon and cantaloupe. We had our own handshake sequence....."Give me five.......Other side.........Now up high." He loved to learn. He was my best friend, and not in the general sense of Man's Best Friend............He was literally my best friend. In his honor I will give another dog a great life in this house, which is not a home without a dog.

Thanks for listening. This makes me feel better.

------TODAY, 6:40 PM ------

2 days later still dealing with his ghost.   Because whenever I get up from the back room where I mostly hang out I keep going to his room (yes, he had his own room) or the living room to check on him.    When I grab a piece of flat bread to snack on I tear a couple small pieces off out of habit.  When I cut up some fruit to eat I still put a few small pieces aside for him.  It takes a minute to realize he's gone.    This has hit me harder than my father's death did. I don't know why.  Maybe because I had to schedule it and that just tears me up. 

Today I went back to work at the hospital (office) and I really needed to.  A lot of busy work, new inventory to unpack, kits to put together, it was the kind of work that was good for me but I had to stop a couple times to compose myself, just odd little things come up and remind me.  My bosses have been incredibly patient and supportive (women make better bosses in general).   Today was the first time I came home from work to an empty house in almost 15 years.     I know I'll start feeling better and when that next dog (or dogs) comes home I won't take a second for granted.     I know, I'm going on and on about this but my girlfriend does not live with me so it's just me here.........at least for now, but not for long.    I don't know how someone who loses a child can function after that, if a dog can do this to me.   

I know exactly how this feels, including the part about it hitting harder than a father's death.  I am so sorry about Diego.  Hope you're finding peace & a laugh or two from the memories.

1 hour ago, djhutch said:

I am so happy for this girl.  Lucy will be 13 in a month, but for most of this year she has really been noticeably slowing down.  At her regular vet checkup in May she got a clean bill of help, but she was still just struggling - I attributed it to age.  In June, she broke some blood vessels in her ear, scratching it because of an infection & had to have surgery.  The vet prescribed an antibiotic, & after finishing it this week she is like a new dog!  Jumping, playing again, & she has that bright look back in her eyes.

We figure she might have had a UTI or something that went undiagnosed, & the antibiotic knocked it out. 

Lucy.jpg

And look at that smile.  Good Girl !

• Like 1

Today I went to Human Society of Huron Valley and looked at the dogs.  I wanted to take everyone of them home.   I connected with a dog, some kind of shepherd, smaller than a German Shepherd but while I was there someone claimed her.   There were a couple other dogs, but I had to go, it was just too emotional.  I'm still kind of a wreck, as much as I want a dog here.    I still can't forgive myself, even though I know there really wasn't a choice.   

• Like 3

Could've put this in the things that make you smile thread but since it involves a dog I'll post it here. My neighbor's dog who I've known since she was a puppy recently had to have her leg amputated due to cancer and naturally she hasn't been herself the last couple weeks. But today when I got home from work she was out in front with my neighbor and she came running(well as close to running as she can do now) over to me wagging her tail like her old self, she and my dog were playing like they used to. My neighbor said she has been doing alot better the last couple days. Just seeing her like that made me smile cause in a way I think of her as my second dog since I take care of her anytime they are out of town.

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Could've put this in the things that make you smile thread but since it involves a dog I'll post it here. My neighbor's dog who I've known since she was a puppy recently had to have her leg amputated due to cancer and naturally she hasn't been herself the last couple weeks. But today when I got home from work she was out in front with my neighbor and she came running(well as close to running as she can do now) over to me wagging her tail like her old self, she and my dog were playing like they used to. My neighbor said she has been doing alot better the last couple days. Just seeing her like that made me smile cause in a way I think of her as my second dog since I take care of her anytime they are out of town.

On Saturday I saw a husky leaving the Human Society at Huron Valley with 3 legs (one of her front legs was amputated) and she was moving pretty well and VERY excited to be going for a ride.    

I haven't heard one word about that dog I posted above.   Gotta tell ya, I'm pretty pissed off about it.   If he's already adopted or if you rejected me (I don't know why they would), then let me know.  

This search has been very discouraging so far. 

Took me about 6 weeks after Tony died to get Diego, though and it's been 4 weeks since I he passed.    

Saw a cute and very sweet shepherd at Huron Valley Human Society but right now he's claimed.  He's meeting the woman's other dog today.   I kind of hope they don't get along.  Is that bad of me? 

On 8/4/2022 at 2:30 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

I haven't heard one word about that dog I posted above.   Gotta tell ya, I'm pretty pissed off about it.   If he's already adopted or if you rejected me (I don't know why they would), then let me know.  

This search has been very discouraging so far. 

Took me about 6 weeks after Tony died to get Diego, though and it's been 4 weeks since I he passed.    

Saw a cute and very sweet shepherd at Huron Valley Human Society but right now he's claimed.  He's meeting the woman's other dog today.   I kind of hope they don't get along.  Is that bad of me? 

I have no doubt at all that you’ll find the perfect match. There’s a dog out there just for you, no doubt. It sucks it’s taking longer than you’d like though.

11 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I have no doubt at all that you’ll find the perfect match. There’s a dog out there just for you, no doubt. It sucks it’s taking longer than you’d like though.

It took 6 weeks last time and I am pretty sure I went about it at about the same pace.    I'll take on one of those 4,000 beagles who were rescued, if I can figure out how.  

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It took 6 weeks last time and I am pretty sure I went about it at about the same pace.    I'll take on one of those 4,000 beagles who were rescued, if I can figure out how.  

It may take a while for the beagles to become available. They are trying to adapt them to living somewhere other than a cage. Keep an eye on area and statewide beagle adoption sites. Also Petfinder seems to be a good place to start as well. 

When we were first looking for a dog, the biggest obstacle we had with a lot of the rescue groups was not having a fenced yard. HOA rules forbid them. Not sure how it is now. 

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

It may take a while for the beagles to become available. They are trying to adapt them to living somewhere other than a cage. Keep an eye on area and statewide beagle adoption sites. Also Petfinder seems to be a good place to start as well. 

When we were first looking for a dog, the biggest obstacle we had with a lot of the rescue groups was not having a fenced yard. HOA rules forbid them. Not sure how it is now. 

I have the fenced in yard.  The issue is that, 75% of the dogs are pitties and, I know its unfair, but I don't want the hassle of other people being afraid of my dog.     I would love to get another japanese spitz, an aussie, a lab or another border collie.

My issue is that when I see dogs online they've already been adopted or with private adoptions the owners never seem to return calls, texts or emails.  

• Like 1

Lots of disappointment.   The last 3 weekends I have gone to Huron Valley's Human Society (because almost all the others are only open while I am working).   I saw a dog the last two weekends that I liked but she had an Adoption Pending on her cage.     Then I went today and none of the dogs seemed to be a fit.   When I was leaving I went to ask them at the counter about a dog and that same girl was hanging out with them.   The Adoption fell through, so I put a hold on her.   She is waiting for medical clearance and her name is Lucy.  She was found as a stray but obviously belonged to someone because she is house trained and very VERY good with people.    She is a "Florida Cur".   This is not her, but she looks a lot like this.   Wish me luck, she might be the one. 

Florida.png

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1