Furry Friends

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Lots of disappointment.   The last 3 weekends I have gone to Huron Valley's Human Society (because almost all the others are only open while I am working).   I saw a dog the last two weekends that I liked but she had an Adoption Pending on her cage.     Then I went today and none of the dogs seemed to be a fit.   When I was leaving I went to ask them at the counter about a dog and that same girl was hanging out with them.   The Adoption fell through, so I put a hold on her.   She is waiting for medical clearance and her name is Lucy.  She was found as a stray but obviously belonged to someone because she is house trained and very VERY good with people.    She is a "Florida Cur".   This is not her, but she looks a lot like this.   Wish me luck, she might be the one. 

Florida.png

❤️❤️. I’m hoping for two to be together soon.  👍. Let us know.

They did that biopsy on Lucy for a mass in her chest and it turns out that it was a malignant tumor.  She'll probably have it removed this week  and we'll see how it goes from there.   Poor girl.  If they think she can recover I'm still probably going to adopt her and even if she has a short time I might be willing to give her a nice place to live for the end of her short life if they don't recommend euthanizing her immediately. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They did that biopsy on Lucy for a mass in her chest and it turns out that it was a malignant tumor.  She'll probably have it removed this week  and we'll see how it goes from there.   Poor girl.  If they think she can recover I'm still probably going to adopt her and even if she has a short time I might be willing to give her a nice place to live for the end of her short life if they don't recommend euthanizing her immediately. 

That is heartbreaking.  Poor thing.  & how hard that would be for you after what you've just experienced. You are a saint.

3 hours ago, djhutch said:

That is heartbreaking.  Poor thing.  & how hard that would be for you after what you've just experienced. You are a saint.

Huron Valley called me and asked if I could foster Lucy while she goes through her medical crisis.  I said yes.   If am a foster I won't have to pay for the medical issues but I can give her a home with a yard and a companion.   I could adopt her after that if her health allows it.   I know I am setting myself up for another heartbreak, but going through what she is, and as sweet as she is, she needs some comfort in her life.   If things work out she could survive for a long time.    I am going to get her on Saturday morning.     I don't think I would experience the kind of heartbreak I had with Diego.  He was my best friend for 15 years.   If I can make her last months or years happy, why wouldn't I?   In honor of Diego.  

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Huron Valley called me and asked if I could foster Lucy while she goes through her medical crisis.  I said yes.   If am a foster I won't have to pay for the medical issues but I can give her a home with a yard and a companion.   I could adopt her after that if her health allows it.   I know I am setting myself up for another heartbreak, but going through what she is, and as sweet as she is, she needs some comfort in her life.   If things work out she could survive for a long time.    I am going to get her on Saturday morning.     I don't think I would experience the kind of heartbreak I had with Diego.  He was my best friend for 15 years.   If I can make her last months or years happy, why wouldn't I?   In honor of Diego.  

You're a pretty good guy.....for a moron.

19 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

My daughter is doing that with a deaf bulldog right now.  She's at our house for a few nights & it's amazing how many times I've called her before realizing she can't hear me.

1 hour ago, djhutch said:

My daughter is doing that with a deaf bulldog right now.  She's at our house for a few nights & it's amazing how many times I've called her before realizing she can't hear me.

I talk to my cat constantly, but he probably hasn't been able to hear me in 6 months to a year. not the same as calling a dog, though, obviously—I sure don't expect a response.

4 hours ago, djhutch said:

yeah  - deaf dogs are a challenge. If they aren't profoundly deaf hand claps may still work, otherwise a lot of walking around to get in front of them so they can see you.

22 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Yes, my Lucy was mostly deaf, but reacted to vibrations, or light changes.

All our dogs had lost some or all of their hearing at the end but still saw pretty well. We are dog sitting for a friend this week and her elderly mostly lab still hears a pin drop but can't tell if a screen door is open. You sort of have to be prepared for anything as a dog ages.

• Like 1

I’m so happy for both of you, ❤️❤️ … and I’m also really struggling with not having a dog right now.  I know it’s the right thing for my older cat to not have to get used to another dog (especially since my cat has no claws… so can’t defend himself if a new addition to the family isn’t “cat friendly “)

…. But, I’m missing MY Lucy so much.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

what a smile!

Got more of her backstory yesterday.  She was found in Detroit in May.   All the Detroit shelters were full and the finder could not foster another dog, so they called around and Washtenaw County took her in and gave her to Huron Valley.  She had a fairly large mass and they removed most of it.  The kind of mass it is - there is a 10% chance it could grow back and I will need to take her to the vet every 3 months.   She was microchipped and her name was Lucy all along but the phone call to the number on the chip was never returned.   She's been through a lot, but the folks at HSHV absolutely adored her.  When I got her yesterday they got on the walkie talkie and told everyone Lucy's going home if they wanted to say goodbye and everyone on the staff came to say goodbye.  She ate that up.  

She's housebroken, and very good about it.   I'll be getting a lot more exercise with her around because she loves walks (don't all dogs?).   She doesn't beg for people food and won't eat directly from my hand (yet).  She's kind of picky so I got some canned chicken to mix with her food and she gobbled that up.   She plays with her Moose toy by herself, she'll throw it around.  She loses her mind over belly rubs and her whole body rocks when she gets them (I think it's her tail wagging her body)...........and she is very very sweet, like you  can get contact Diabetes just from being around her.   She seems to respond more to women than men (except me now)  She has not taken long to get comfortable here and she knows she's safe with me.   She jumped into the recliner with me at bedtime (I sleep in a recliner).   50 pound dog with me is a bit too much and too warm, but she got down and slept next to the chair most of the night.   Follows me a lot but not as much as yesterday.     I don't know how long she has, but she's gonna live happily.    

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 8/21/2022 at 1:27 AM, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

what a smile!

On 8/21/2022 at 10:53 AM, Tigeraholic1 said:

Man I am love with this dog now. Dogs are such a blessing.

She is very easy to love.  She's the happiest and sweetest dog.   And she has settled in here like she's lived here forever.  I bought a camera to watch her when I am at work and she mostly lays in the bed or lays in the bay window.   She doesn't seem to have separation anxiety (she'd been homeless and then in a kennel for several months).   She knows she's got it good here, because she does.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1